Whats Wrong with the Trim on ''This'' Boat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Stretch said:
All good answers and good eyes. Kudos to the first motorsail comment.

Ok Rich, this boat is owned by John Kerry....that is him at the helm, thought someone would point that out....it sails fine on the port tack.
That's not the same boat as in the first two pictures. The boat picturing Kerry at the helm by the way was paid for by your american tax payer dollars!

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Better picture than my first one on the same tack, it looks like the jib sheet angle improved, motor this time too.
The boat looks better on the other tack I meant.

Onecool, you got me on the helm shot, didn't find the right one I didn't...

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
Better picture than my first one on the same tack, it looks like the jib sheet angle improved, motor this time too.
The boat looks better on the other tack I meant.
I believe both pictures were taken at about the same time, the sheet angle appears the same in both pictures, I am going with an optical illusion due to the angle of the first shot made the jib appear "pulled in".

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
You really have to see the WHOLE jib from tack to head to see if that fairlead is too far forward (my suspicion, as the leech looks a bit 'cupped up'/closed). It certainly isnt on a 10-12° offset line from the jibs tack ... looks like that 'slot' could be 'too narrow'.

Isnt that boat in post #19 (second pic) Theresa's boat, aka - the late Senator John Heinz' old boat????

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
not sure Rich, there is a difference on the cabin side with some trims. Certainly could be a pic search mistake that I missed too. Sec of State Kerry's boat has been in his family and is chartered.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Interesting boat. Looks like the world's biggest day sailor. The single mainsheet seems to lead to a hole in the deck. Maybe a line/cable led to an electric winch belowdecks? Same for the jib?

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
I wish you people would leave me alone, and stop taking pictures of me everytime I go out sailing....Red

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
I think it's our host Don's turn to come up with some sail trim picture to critique...

Hey, is Red at the helm in that shot in post 22 ??

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Nothing cheap about that boom. Roller furling. I sailed with the owner of a company out of Bristol, RI that made that and the boarding ladder for his boat. All carbon fiber. The ladder alone cost more that 10 time what my boat cost. Nice to have a well to do admiral!!

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL

Ok Rich, this boat is owned by John Kerry....that is him at the helm, thought someone would point that out....it sails fine on the port tack.

I don't know what boat he is sailing but it is not the one in the first picture.... the first picture is a CC and the second is of a AC. Compare the backstay locations between the two boats.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al

the boat on the left is not the same as the boat on the right ...left has a ss wheel and the one on the right has a wood wheel and brass helm post...

regards

woody

Nov 8, 2010
Ericson 29 Grand Lake, OK
Maybe it's just me but..............................
looks like the cars are so far forward his sheets are inside the shrouds.
Can't get the headsail out far enough to compliment the main?

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Maybe it's just me but..............................
looks like the cars are so far forward his sheets are inside the shrouds.
Can't get the headsail out far enough to compliment the main?
I have studied that and believe it is an optical illusion caused be a jib foot that swings upwards quickly from the furling drum to the leech. It is cut quite high aft if I am seeing it right

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Isabel is her name

Make a good trivia question...

Here is some more...from writer Kim Hampton

''Although the 75 foot yacht Isabel is a new purchase for John Kerry, sailing isn't a new pastime. In Massachusetts, sailing is almost the state sport, and Kerry has been enjoying yachting since he was a child. In fact, he used to sail with the Kennedy family as a young man, and has said one of his favorite times on a yacht was sailing on Narragansett Bay with President John F. Kennedy, whom the Senator calls his hero. Kerry also enjoyed yacht racing, at least as a spectator. This is evidenced by the photo below, which shows him watching what we assume to be the 18th America's Cup, while aboard a vessel with none other than JFK himself. This would be the same AC where Kennedy gave his "Salt in the blood" speech.
John Kerry's new yacht Isabel is a 75 foot sloop. The yacht wasn't built in the USA, however, which is another bone of contention with some of Kerry's boat building constituents. Instead, the vessel was built in New Zealand and then delivered to Newport, Rhode Island in March of this year. Using the philosophy that “bigger does not always mean better,” Isabel was designed to provide the luxury of a megayacht, while retaining the privacy of a yacht built for a couple and an occasional one or two guests. Isabel was also designed to be sailed by only two people. Foot buttons control furling from the cockpit, so that the helmsperson needn't take a hand off the wheel, and sheet controls are kept easily within reach.

.... John Kerry's yacht is a pilothouse, and the classic lines and varnished teak continue down below. The pilothouse itself has a wet bar and wine storage, and the teak interior of this large yacht is designed to accommodate just two couples - one at the forepeak, and one at in the aft (though there is a small midships accommodation should the owners wish to bring aboard crew). Isabel was designed to be an easy-handling, private yacht to provide good sailing and quiet entertainment for a very few, and it's expected that an invitation to spend an evening aboard with Senator Kerry and his wife, Heinz foods (right, like the ketchup and baked beans) heiress Teresa Heinz, will be among the most sought after in Nantucket's social scene for many seasons to come.

by Kim Hampton for YachtPals.com

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
Make a good trivia question...

Here is some more...from writer Kim Hampton

''Although the 75 foot yacht Isabel is a new purchase for John Kerry, ...
John Kerry's new yacht Isabel is a 75 foot sloop. The yacht wasn't built in the USA, however, which is another bone of contention with some of Kerry's boat building constituents. Instead, the vessel was built in New Zealand and then delivered to Newport, Rhode Island in March of this year.
by Kim Hampton for YachtPals.com
The Boston Globe reported Isabel "is officially owned by a company named Great Point LLC in Pittsburgh, a property of a trust that benefits Kerry's wife, Heinz Ketchup heiress Teresa Heinz Kerry." That means Teresa Heinz (who dropped the Kerry surname shortly after the 2004 election) owns the New Zealand-built yacht which, according to the designer's website, took a year to complete and includes "a wet bar and cold wine storage to entertain up to six around the U-shaped settee and custom teak table."
Kerry uses the Eeesabell courtesy of Terasa, who owns the boat largely courtesy of the Heinz family fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.