What's wrong with my stereo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2012
Catalina 320 Baltimore County
New-to-us 2000 Cat 320, learning something new each time out....

We're puzzled about the stereo system - a Jensen MCDA1. It's clear that we're getting a strong signal, based on the signal strength indicator on the remote. But: we get no output from any of the bands - AM/FM/Wx or CD. Well, almost no output. When we push the "band" button, the speakers will emit a short 'beep.' But otherwise....silence. No static... nada.

I figure that when we take it out for the winter in about a month, this is going to be one of my off-season projects. The question is: considering that I'm no electrician or audio engineer, is there something obvious that i'm just missing? I've checked all of the wiring harness that i can get to without removing panels, and replaced the fuse. Is this old Jensen just dead and needs to be replaced?

Steve
Sea Monkey #754

Feb 6, 2012
Catalina 34 lake champlain
Have you check the ground.
Happenned to me as a kid in a car, same issues.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
How many speakers are you running? If just two it is likely the FADER control is set wrong. For an example if you have two cabin speakers wired to the FRONT speaker outputs, yet the FADER is set fully to REAR you will get exactly the symptom you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.