Whats wrong with my legs?

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Recently on my new-to-me H38 I tried to lower the saloon table into position to use as a double berth.

Table would not go down. I discovered my legs are of different length. Is this normal? Has something been repaired incorrectly?

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
What year do you have? Did not see that on the 2008 Hunter 38 below or my Hunter 386 or Hunter 46. Might require a modification.

1624320248356.png

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Interesting, my 2008 38 came with a second set of shorter legs for lowering the table not the telescoping legs yours shows.
maybe try some lubrication to see if they will lower

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Its a 2007. The table top itself does not fold like the one pictured above, its a single solid piece. According to the manual I should simply be able to lower it into place, but the longer leg prevents that.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Since the early says of sailing when men sailed the oceans in dugouts and bamboo sailing craft they have been equipped with salon tables that were supposed to lower into a berth. In all this time not one has actually worked.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
What year do you have? Did not see that on the 2008 Hunter 38 below or my Hunter 386 or Hunter 46. Might require a modification.

View attachment 195491
This is what mine look like and there was a second set of short legs for lowering table. As I said i have never actually used it. We don’t even carry the cushion section on the boat. At home in the basement.
just figured that if there are 2 in the V berth and 2 in the aft cabin that’s enough people sleeping in the cabin LOL

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
This is what mine look like and there was a second set of short legs for lowering table. As I said i have never actually used it. We don’t even carry the cushion section on the boat. At home in the basement.
just figured that if there are 2 in the V berth and 2 in the aft cabin that’s enough people sleeping in the cabin LOL
Yeah well partly I just want everything to be correct and work, and partly the V berth is currently full of tools and parts and the aft cabin can get a little like a pizza oven when on the hook and I don't want to run the genny

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
My 41DS has similar. They are pneumatic (or whatever) so will go down very slowly. Release the knobs on the side, then put some weight on top and they will slowly go down. Then lock them in place. Bonus - they will slowly rise back up when you release the lock-knobs later.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
DO NOT LUBE !!! That makes it so when you do get it down you can't lock it and it keeps creeping back up while your trying to sleep. Suspect its like the ones in Catalina's and getting them down s@cks. For mine, after loosening knob I have to lay on the table and get my weight centered directly over the pedestal. I weigh about 160, so that what it takes.
I don't think it matters that one is taller, it only goes down to the top of the tallest one .

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
My 41DS has similar. They are pneumatic (or whatever) so will go down very slowly. Release the knobs on the side, then put some weight on top and they will slowly go down. Then lock them in place. Bonus - they will slowly rise back up when you release the lock-knobs later.
Are your legs unequal length? My table only goes down partially, is a few inches shy of being able to use as a berth.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
DO NOT LUBE !!! That makes it so when you do get it down you can't lock it and it keeps creeping back up while your trying to sleep. Suspect its like the ones in Catalina's and getting them down s@cks. For mine, after loosening knob I have to lay on the table and get my weight centered directly over the pedestal. I weigh about 160, so that what it takes.
I don't think it matters that one is taller, it only goes down to the top of the tallest one .
Yes obviously. I had hoped that other H38 owners would say they do or do not have unequal length legs. I'm now convinced that I have one incorrect leg installed.

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Haha,
Or possibly a previous owner started getting out some box wrenches and such trying to figure out how lower the thing down and went a little too far? That is exactly what I did on my Hunter 41DS first time we had to bunk-up people in the main cabin. Luckily noticed the bit how it slides is pneumatically sealed before we went on to the next step, refastened everything and as another gentleman said, had a lady sit on the table and slide right on down.

So yeah, keep in mind both tubes need to be closely aligned for the sliding thing to work and if somebody mucked around with it earlier they may be out of alignment. Both mine are level, and most importantly - parallel.