What's Under There???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
I intend to mount Spinlock PX rope clutches for the traveler on my cabin top. I had these on my C-350, and loved them. The cam cleats aren't that great with my dodger configuration.

Anyway, I keep hearing that there may be (is?) aluminum plate or plywood under the skin where the current (stock) clutches are mounted. Does anyone KNOW what's under there? Also, how thick (can I thread it)?

Thanks for your help!

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma/Seattle

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
jfreeman

Is this the area you are going to mount new cluches?

When I installed a clutch for main sheet, I recall tapping and threading, I think the aluminun plate was 3/8".

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Sep 29, 2009
2005 catalina 310 gig harbor, Wa
Jon, I would recommend contacting Catalina directly in Florida. They have been extremely helpful to me when I have had technical questions regarding my '05 Catalina 310 which I just purchased this fall. I bet they would tell you exactly whats under there and what type and thickness the metal backing plate is. I plan on doing similar upgrades to the "mainsheet" as described in Mainsheet. If you would like some help drop me and email or post I have a lot of free time and would love to help out. My boats in Gig Harbor so we are close.

dave

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks for the replies gentlemen! I took the plunge over the holidays, and drilled some holes. There IS an aluminum backing plate, as you stated (and thanks Catalina!).

I proceeded to tap the holes and was doing great until - and I forgot this is a risk of tapping blind holes - I twisted the tap off in one of the holes! Not fatal, just re-drilled and retapped (way SLOWER), and frequently applied a little LPS to the [new] tap and cleared the chips FREQUENTLY.

So now I have two nice Spinlocks for easily setting the traveler sheets (click up/click down). The cam cleets OUTSIDE the dodger worked, but comparatively, were a pain. These are a definite luxury, but BOY are they sweet and fast!

Thanks again!

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma/Seattle

Sep 29, 2009
2005 catalina 310 gig harbor, Wa
Nice work

Jon, I am glad to hear things went as planned. I am in the process of trying to customize my boat for better sailing and would love to see some pics as well.

dave in Gig Harbor

Jan 22, 2008
I will post some pics in a few days. The weather is pretty sucky right now, and I still have a holiday house guest. By Sunday, I think.

Truckman - We are neighbors. I am across the bay at Hylebos, but just joined GHYC. Maybe we'll run into each other one of these days?

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma/Seattle

Jan 22, 2008
Why did you not replace the Main Sheet cleat?
So far, I haven't found it to be a problem. I have noticed some folks have put a clutch there, but haven't had occasion (yet?) to doubt or dislike the stock cleat.

What situation(s) caused you to replace the mainsheet cleat?

Jon

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
As a result of my mainsheet jumping off the clam cleat at some bad moments, I followed the advice of rpwillia and Witzend by installing an additional camcleat in front of the std clam to capture the sheet, even if not under full load. Both their designs are very practical. I copied rpwillia’s as it looked simpler to install. Tried it out last week in up to 27kts and it works like a charm. Thanks to both of you guys.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Yea, as the sheet ages it gets hard and tends to not stay in the original cleat. The red keeper gets brittle and breaks as well.

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
"Witz" - I don't think that red plastic arm is a "keeper" - I believe it's function is more like a "preventer" - as in trying to prevent accidental jamming of the line when you are letting it out. You are supposed to flip it up (so the arm blocks a line from engaging in the clam) when letting a line out. It's normal position is under the line, not over it.

Good Luck!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks, gentlemen, for all the inputs on the mainsheet cleat! I understand now. I will take the ideas under advisement as a possible change in the future.

BTW - I was out on Sunday, and had occasion to use the new clutches during many tacks in moderate winds, and their performance was EXACTLY as expected. The crew all liked the easier and faster traveler changes (Click up/Click down).

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma/Seattle

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Is the red plastic arm a waste of time?

Never had one on mine, I guess PO lost it. But never had the main line ride down in the cleat anyway - my original gripe was getting it to lay in there and hold. Happy with my addition of a cam cleat as it just works.

Status
Not open for further replies.