What's this?

Jan 10, 2015
Catalina 22 Ventura
When I use a bleach-containing product it disappears but it comes back in a couple of weeks. I've heard that these cabin liners are porous and I don't want to hear that it's deck rot and mold seeping through. Please tell me it's an easy fix. Oh, and the other pictures are of where termites obliterated the end of my tiller. (how far out to sea do I have to go to legally sink a boat?)

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
3 miles is good from what I've heard... but I'd take it a bit further to be safe, just be sure to wear a pfd!
yea, looks like some deck rot seeping thru, hate it for you.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
When you use bleach, use just bleach in water maybe capful in gallon at most, spray and let dry on surface after you scrub it with something like softscrub or bon ami . Do not rinse the bleach off, let it dry on the surface.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Tillers are easily replaced. The stains are just stains. Are there soft spots on the deck?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
After you bleach it, fill it with epoxy.

However, if you want to just dump it. A playground might be interested in the hull.

Better yet, have another boat accompany you. ;)
This is a good idea.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 10, 2015
Catalina 22 Ventura
Just when I was about to trade in the Origo 3000 for some shark repellent I read Jacktar's post. Hopefully it will work. Will, great idea for the playground. My kids already love playing inside while it's parked in the driveway.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. From the sound of things, it seems like the liner isn't porous which is the best news. (Markbird - there aren't any soft spots on the deck and I hope they are just stains.) I'll post some "after" pics in a couple of weeks.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Try this for formula below for mold. I've been using it instead of bleach, and it seems to keep it away for a decent stretch of time. All the ingredients below can be found on Amazon, and it works well in a spray bottle. Try keeping it in the boat, and hitting it whenever anything moldy shows up. It seems to keep it from spreading better that way. I just wipe it with a sponge and halfway dry with a paper towel, leaving the rest to dry on the surface.

1 quart hot water
2 tablespoons Borax
1 tablespoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
2 tablespoons washing soda (sodium carbonate)
2 tablespoons trisodium phosphate (TSP)

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
My guess, since it is Christmas, is surface mold or mildew. After you use one of the methods above, have you put a small room fan in the boat and kept the the boats inside better ventilated?

Did you probe around with a little surface wall moisture reader?

Now, because we don't all believe in Santa Claus, it looks like you gave an open through deck hole from the picture. Is that wet? Have you rebedded your penetrations? The question above about "spongy deck" symptoms probably is worth an answer.

A wet, saturated core will not insulate at as well. That may promote condensation in your Coastal environment on the Left Coast. I wouldn't fixate on it, but I'd figure out if your getting water into the core and stop it.

Jan 10, 2015
Catalina 22 Ventura
My guess, since it is Christmas, is surface mold or mildew. After you use one of the methods above, have you put a small room fan in the boat and kept the the boats inside better ventilated?

Did you probe around with a little surface wall moisture reader?

Now, because we don't all believe in Santa Claus, it looks like you gave an open through deck hole from the picture. Is that wet? Have you rebedded your penetrations? The question above about "spongy deck" symptoms probably is worth an answer.

A wet, saturated core will not insulate at as well. That may promote condensation in your Coastal environment on the Left Coast. I wouldn't fixate on it, but I'd figure out if your getting water into the core and stop it.
I'm actually inland about ten miles in a very hot and dry valley in the county. The companionway is always open and the sliding companionway cover has been removed for a repair. The handrails are off for varnishing (you might be able to see them sitting on ladder rungs in the background of the rudder pics), and the mast plate is off for replacement. Because there are open holes, its covered with a large tarp so there has been no moisture at all entering the area - whether from morning dew or the measly rain we've had this year. When I probed the holes, they seemed to have solid wood and no rot. I don't have a moisture reader, but might look into it if the cleaning ideas don't work. The reason I posted this is because in the past after scrubbing, it gets really white and clean but the "stains" keep coming back in the same place and pattern. I thought I read somewhere before that these cabin liners -which to me seem like hard, impervious plastic- are actually porous.