What's the use of a traveller...

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Maroldo

...that uses spring-loaded pin blocks to hold the mainsheet traveller car in position? I'd like to be able to make adjustments to enhance the performance of our H23, so I'm planning the addition of a boom vang and possibly a cunningham. This stock traveller has me baffled though. With the present setup, it's very difficult to move the car around without releasing the mainsheet first. I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to add a line-controlled traveller? I realize that it would make it a bit harder to jump in & out of the cabin, but I'd be willing to give up a bit of "convenience" for improved performance. Jim Maroldo s/v: Lil' Wass Ett

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Do it.

Go for it. You have the right idea. Nice to see someone actually CARING about mainsail performance and actually weighing it positively against 'convenience'. On a small boat everything counts. It's sad but true that boats like the 23 are notoriously badly sailed. This kind of improvement will make a difference. With the mainsheet at 4:1 purchase I'd say 2:1 on the traveller car is good enough. Cleat the control lines at the edge of the cockpit and let lines tails collect on the sole. They will jam in the blocks coming about or jibing unless you remember to take up all slack on the lee side first. And when mounting anything be careful drilling holes in the bridge deck-- even some respectable builders have created susceptibility for leaks in this area (J-Boats is one). Do you have a sliding gooseneck? Keeping this down tight will improve mainsail flatness and make the boat stiffer on the wind. Pay attention to the outhaul too. A mid-boom vang will take up for what the mainsheet cannot on those VERY tight tacks in competition. Good luck and have a fun time of it. JC 2

D

Del Wiese

traveller important

An adjustable traveller is important to main sail trim no matter what size boat. It enables you to flatten the main when hard on the wind, and to depower the main by letting the traveller to leeward, without changing the shape of the main. You can then power up the main by bringing the traveller to windward when the puff passes. Go for it!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
"Fixed" Traveller

JC 2 is right. Garhauer makes a great and very inexpensive adjustable traveler assembly. Go Harken or Shaefer and you'll pay 60% more. Actually, it's almost like "the smaller the boat the more important an easily adjustable traveller really is." The reason the manufacturer did that is $$$ (duh!).

Status
Not open for further replies.