What's the story on the 280?

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Hey all
Longtime poster on here with a *very* long break that accompanied a ~ 8 year period of insanity that included selling my Hunter 23 and then two live-in gut renovations (one to sell, one to live in). Now that we've survived that it's time to get a new boat and CHILL OUT:cool:

Very close to pulling the trigger on a 280 - the owner is a nice guy, can't sail anymore, price is right. What's the good, the bad, the ugly?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I owned a Hunter 280 as my first boat.

Pros - solid boat, Yanmar 2GM20F diesel pushed the boat fine, very little to maintain outside (no teak except maybe some slats on the perch seats), sailed well with the 5’ keel. Huge cockpit. Big main sail and no backstay (B&R rig).

I did not like : plastic interior, open V berth (and very short), alcohol stove (and no oven). Mine had an icebox and no refrigeration.

IMG_0208_Original.jpeg IMG_3575.png

You can’t see my face in the first phot, but I am smiling! Racing against a buddy on a H33, and I am over-canvassed, but I decided to run the length of the way home as ling as I was in front:cool:

And the cockpit full of friends…and room for more.

My H280 was a great first boat for me. Small enough to be easy to handle and learn on, big enough to sail on Lake Michigan. New enough and built to be pretty maintenance-free. Good engine access if you remove the “Step/cover”. Pretty simple systems, again easy to maintain.

My boat had Lazy Jacks, and I recommend something as the main is pretty large. Dutchman system would work to. I also had Harkin batt-cars on mine with a full-batten main. That made the sail pretty easy to raise.m

Mine did not have any primary winches on the coaming. There is a flat spot for them…they would be nice to have. I can’t recall if I had a spinnaker in that boat or not.

I sold it to buy an older boat, 5 feet longer, and with some “character”, which means I spend more time on teak and other maintenance :cool:

The H280 is a fun boat, sails well.

Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions…

Greg

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Glad to hear it. I actually like the the interior, from a low maintenance perspective.

We'll probably get 5 (or 10) ft - itus in a few years but the prospect of larger boat shopping having been off the water so long is daunting.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Longtime poster on here with a *very* long break that accompanied a ~ 8 year period of insanity that included selling my Hunter 23 and then two live-in gut renovations (one to sell, one to live in). Now that we've survived that
How anyone could survive that is a medical miracle. Perhaps the Mayo Clinic would be interested in having a look to see what you're made of :laugh: .

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Well - it was a good morning on the dock visiting boats. The 280 is probably a dud; there's a lot of delamianted plywood in the interior, engine not ready to start, hardly any electricals worked... water in the bilge and pump nonfnctional, etc. There's a lot of work here and not sure how much time I have to take it on.

Then I went down the road and viewed a wonderful 29.5 from the same year; which I thought was not very different boat except a foot longer ; but is completely different and much larger / livable. Very nice boat and a huge cockpit. Very different price point.

Lots to think about...
1727987013237.png

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
How anyone could survive that is a medical miracle. Perhaps the Mayo Clinic would be interested in having a look to see what you're made of :laugh: .
I look back at the pictures today and I go ....
WHAT WAS I THINKING

(I should clarify, I didn't live here for the **entire** gut. Once the first floor sheetrock got finished, moved into the living room and sold the old house)
1728005465707.png

Jan 4, 2006
Once the first floor sheetrock got finished, moved into the living room and sold the old house)
Does NOT look like fun.

Then I went down the road and viewed a wonderful 29.5 from the same year;
Don't know what year the 29.5 is but it looks similar to my 1999 H-310 :

1728011975248.jpeg

I've had the boat since new and tried to keep her in "as new" condition. This is much easier than having some idiot own the boat previously and then abuse it into the water as the H-280 had experienced.

We'll probably get 5 (or 10) ft - itus in a few years
Maybe, maybe not. I can honestly tell you from a practical perspective if someone were to offer me a mid to high 30's Hunter in exchange for my H-310, not a chance. The H-310 has more than enough room for three adults and is ideal for four adults if you behave in an orderly fashion at night. Cockpit is larger than most boats of a similar size out there and the interior is plenty roomy enough for four to dine :

1728012718076.jpeg

1728012746760.jpeg

1728012821711.jpeg

1728012869803.jpeg

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Don't know what year the 29.5 is but it looks similar to my 1999 H-310 :
Looking at the boats and the specs... 310 is 12" longer, 4" wider, 3ft more mast, the arch mounted traveler, and 500 more lbs of ballast.
29.5 production stopped in 97 , which is when the 310 started
They are very similar boats - I appreciate the glowing review!

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
I'm a 280 owner and really like mine. Its just my wife and I so it works great. Also I single hand a lot. Lots of room in the aft berth. We put in a memory foam mattress as the original is like sleeping on a rock. The V berth can be extended to 7ft. The ice box is only good for dry goods. I use a Bouge RV fridge freezer which has worked excellently for us. I have a 100 watt solar panel and haven't plugged into shore power once this year. Engine has run flawlessly. Shouldn't really be any water in the bilge. As for sailing, she sails quite well. As others have said the main is huge. Both my sails are new and tri-radial. As long as you reef at around 12 knts. the boat can be kept on her feet fairly easily up to 20 knts then second reef. It will handle some pretty rough seas as my wife and I got caught out in an unforcasted squall. Waves were 6' plus and wind 30 gusting 45. Was motoring and boat handled very well. Wasn't too sure about the stove, but after getting used to it, it works quite well. Don't need an oven.
Some things I don't like is the prop walk can be pretty hard to deal with. It can also be used to your advantage. The electrical panel doesn't leave any room to add anything. With the small helm wheel there can make steering a bit hard when motoring. Also the prop turbulence can really be felt on the helm.
Too bad people let their boat deteriorate. Its a shame to see boats allowed to die.

Jan 4, 2006
Is that what causes the turbulence on the rudder.
That's the problem. With a two bladed prop, both blades line up with the rudder at the same time which sends out a strong pulse to the rudder. This occurs twice per rotation.

When you have a three bladed prop, a single blade lines up with the rudder, three times for each rotation, with weaker pulses.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Let us know what you finally purchase.
After a little bit of consideration, I purchased the 29.5!
1728656948865.png

paperwork and insurance to finalize, hauling out in a couple weeks but it's a lovely, well taken care of boat, new sails, Yanmar started right up. It's a bit of a hike to the current marina in Ocean Gate NJ (about 90 minutes) - but the place is great and I'm 99% certain i'm going to renew the current slip and save myself a whole research project

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
On a related note; IF anyone wants an inexpensive 280 or 30 in Northern NJ, I came across two boats that desperately need new owners...