What's the most wasteful project you worked on this winter?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Tuning my skis at the start of the season…:facepalm: I don’t want to look, now.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I really hope mine is not wasteful, but the Admiral keeps asking if I really spent $3,000 to get 1/2 knot of speed?

View attachment 222732

We will see in the spring !

Cheers,

Greg
That is a work of art, Greg. Too bad most guests won't be able to enjoy its beauty, unless they show up to help with spring maintenance. ;)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Oh many more benefits than just 1/2 knot boat speed. Better backing, superior stopping, no whirring sound of the transmission spinning as you sail.
Just tell her it’s only 3 boat units. Sounds sooooo much better than $3,000. Use the safety factor of being able to stop on a dime, it’s way more compelling LOL
I have no comparison data. I was fortunate that my Hunter had a Gori folding prop when I bought her. But I like the way you think!

Sep 13, 2021
Catalina Capri 26 280 Lake Jacomo
My "wasteful" project was removing the old macerator hoses that were still connected to the holding tank even though it was disconnected from the thru-hull and capped off. There was a lovely "collection" from previous owners being saved for a rainy day in those hoses.

• Wow
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Both of these boats.... I did a ton of work. Sold them. Then neither were ever sailed again.
I sometimes wonder what happened to my old MacGregor 26S. I put a lot into it and sold it to a young, out of state couple who didn't know how to sail. Never heard from them again.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I sometimes wonder what happened to my old MacGregor 26S. I put a lot into it and sold it to a young, out of state couple who didn't know how to sail. Never heard from them again.
I wonder about my first two boats. I looked, but could never find them in the net.

My PDQ is sailed regularly. The new owners called or emailed once in a while for instructions for the first two seasons, not things that were wrong. We got along well. I've called them since to ask how certain projects were holding up, just for research. No problems. I sold a good boat.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Both of these boats.... I did a ton of work. Sold them. Then neither were ever sailed again.
About 15 years after I sold my first boat, a Tanzer 22, I ended up in the same marina. She wasn't being sailed much until the owner passed it on to his son who is racing it.

My second boat has gone off to Lake Erie/Buffalo. Heard once from the new owner that he loved he boat.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
About 15 years after I sold my first boat, a Tanzer 22, I ended up in the same marina. She wasn't being sailed much until the owner passed it on to his son who is racing it.

My second boat has gone off to Lake Erie/Buffalo. Heard once from the new owner that he loved he boat.
I believe @Tally Ho's old boat, H280, is moored about 200' from me.

Greg - Are there any identifying marks on it besides the name?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Obsession was the name of my Hunter 280…I sold it to a guy who kept it in Belmont Harbor I think…I helped him sail it up there…but then I saw her for sale somewhere in the last 6 months.

Blue sailcover and dodger, nothing too distinguishable From a lot of other Hunters.

Greg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Obsession was the name of my Hunter 280…I sold it to a guy who kept it in Belmont Harbor I think…I helped him sail it up there…but then I saw her for sale somewhere in the last 6 months.

Blue sailcover and dodger, nothing too distinguishable From a lot of other Hunters.

Greg
It sounds like its the same boat since Belmont is close. Obsession is written on the side of the hull close to the stern in vinyl. Two or three colors if I remember correctly. Good looking boat

Jan 7, 2011
It sounds like its the same boat since Belmont is close. Obsession is written on the side of the hull close to the stern in vinyl. Two or three colors if I remember correctly. Good looking boat
Yep…that sounds like my old H280. Wife named her…used to be Misbehavin’ or something like that…she didn’t like the connotation I guess.

i changed the name and did the appropriate renaming rituals, and added the name in blue lettering (a couple of shades), near the stern on both sides of the hull.

She is a great little boat. I ended up wanting something a little bigger, a little heavier, with a little more “character”…when Tally Ho (1988 O’Day 322) came back on the market…I had tried to buy it 4 or 5 years earlier. Ut was too late getting an offer made… I made a quick decision to move up.

I could take her out in a fair amount of wind though…
IMG_0208_Original.jpeg

Here is the “fleet” after I brought Tally Ho home from Holland, MI parked next to Obsession.

IMG_2901.jpeg

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Trying to convince my wife to let me get a new mainsail.
You could do like I did, and jibe the main until it ripped across on of the batten pockets…
”I guess I didn’t control that jibe as much as I thought I could…guess we need a new sail”.

The key to that is waiting until the end of the season so you can order the new sail over the winter layup ;)

Greg

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Very nice job. Maybe this doesn’t need to be said, but be careful about contamination (with that sewage so close to your fresh water intake). It doesn’t take much, even the vapors from a pumpout, especially if the fresh water cap is downwind.
There is someone on our forum that will post the RYBC or what ever it's called and say it isn't to code. That was and is my first thought. Then I heard the parrot on my shoulder, yep that red one with the horns and holding a pitchfork, saying "Your boat, your choice".

As for me.....chasing leaks from the top side. I swear that they had every shortcut written down and used them in the build. Example: Teak trim along the cabin top sides above the windows. Drill a hole, apply trim, screw it into the fiberglass. NO consideration that water will get in, soak any balsa core, get into the window frame, flow down and drip out where the interior cabin lights are mounted, rusting out the light fixtures and end up with dirty rusty water stains on my 41 year old cushions. And thats not all. I could go on and on. But I love my boat and all its little quirks. I mean where else can I spend all my money and really enjoy every pennies worth?