What's the best retirement area for sailors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ernie Rodriguez

Charlotte Harbor

Check it out. Southwest coast of Florida. The Peace river, Charlotte Harbor for day sailing and the gulf of Mexico for extended cruising with the ICW in between for shorter trips. Warm summer and ideal winter. Reasonable cost of living.

W

Wynn Ferrel

Money Mag July 2000 Top Picks

Top five: Brunswick, ME Asheville, NC Bradenton, FL Ft. Collins, CO Bend, OR Runners-Up San Luis Obispo, CA Santa Fe, NM Hot Springs, AR Madison, WI Amherst, MA Rated top places to retire "Where vigorous retirement is the norm and where education opportunities, outdoor activities, cultural amenities and good medical cared are near at hand. Moreover, since today's retirees are often on the go, we looked for towns with good transportation options, And, of course, we cast a keen eye on home prices, taxes and cost-of-living indexes." Interesting choices. Punta Gorda, FL had been their Florida west coast darling. Wonder what changed their mind? Thanks to all for their most interesting replys. Wynn Ferrel S/V Tranquility

W

Wynn Ferrel

Where is the best Florida west coast sailing?

I keep hearing that the Gulf on the west side of Florida is shallow in places. Where are the better sailing areas on the west coast of Florida. Possible areas are: Punta Gorda, Naples, Bradenton, Charlotte Harbor, (further up) from Pensecola to Panama City, etc. Any recommendations? Wynn Ferrel S/V Tranquility

G

Gene Foraker

Gulf Coast Florida?

My family has a place on the water on Anna Marie Island. The area from Tampa bay down through Bradenton to Sarasota is great. Plenty of protected sailing inside the barrier islands and bays and nice destinations such as Egmont key. Even some anchorages off the ICW. Extended cruises can easily include the Dry Tortugas. An added benefit is that hurricaines rarely hit that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.