What's the best retirement area for sailors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wynn Ferrel

Considering cost of living, climate, medical facilities, amenities and quality of life, what are some of the better retirement communities for people who love to sail? Some, like myself, may be contemplating retirement and could benefit from your knowledge, experience and advice. Wynn Ferrel S/V Tranquility

M

Melody Miller

Annapolis

Hi Wynn: I can't think of a better area for sailors than the Annapolis area. It is mecca for these reasons. The saying is that the Chesapeake gets 85% of the wind and 50% of the waves of the Atlantic. That means 10-15 knot winds, waves 2 ft or less. Sailing season is from April to end of November. During the off season, you are approximately 45 minutes from the nation's capital where you have art, professional sports, history, and fine dining.The temp is mild - we rarely get snow in the winter. Back to sailing, this summer, there will be cruising rallies leaving from Annapolis for Maine and Bermuda and those are just the hightly publicized ones. My marina has a contingent sailing to Baltimore to see 30 tall ships sailing to Long Island Sound. The South End of the Bay feeds into the Atlantic and the North end accesses the Delaware Bay/Atlantic through the C&D canal. Within the Bay you can make several overnite trips to little towns. There are racing events every week during the summer. There's so much to do here. I feel blessed to live in this area. Melody

S

SteveC

I'd like to find the answer too!

By the way melody, what about the cost of living in the area??? Do you have to be a retired millionaire. I have been considering Florida because it's warm longer and closer access to other areas, but need an opinion to West/East coast. Seems like I'd be trading 4-5 months of cold winter for 2-3 months of heat/humidity. Like to hear other opinions....

B

Bryan C.

Florida

I think Miami is a great sailing area with Biscayne Bay, the Bahamas, and the Keys all within easy reach (and perhaps someday Cuba?) Swimming almost all year round, great fishing and diving, what more could you ask for? However, I don't know if I could recommend Miami as a great retirement spot -- its expensive, crowded, busy, and a little crazy. My dad moved over to the West Coast of Fla (St. Pete) for just these reasons. Cheaper, quieter, more peaceful, and the Gulf has good sailing areas. The Bahamas and to some extent the keys are less accessible, however.

G

Greg Stebbins

Well, we're in our retirement spot.....

We’re planning to shut it down in about 2 more years. We’ll still be raising kids in our retirement (we have an 11 and 4 yr old!) so security and amenities are important to us. Plus, we walk to our slip at the neighborhood club/marina. Believe it or not, we’re in the middle of Texas. Sometimes, thinking “out of the box” pays off. Cost of living? Gad, maybe a tenth or less of the coastal sailing hot spots. But it does get hot in the summer. The club and neighborhood pools help out there. What are your general requirements? Greg

B

Barry

Move like the Geese Do !

New England / north in the spring. South for the winter. I plan to do that on the east coast in 3 years (until I get tired of doing it) No need to tolerate the high heat and humidity in the summer or sub zero temperature during winter. May upgrade the Hunter if it works out for me. Barry "PER DIEM too"

M

Mark Johnson

Well....

We're hoping to give the Carribean a shot this winter, and bring the boat back up to the Northeast for the summer. All our "Roots" are here in the Northeast, but I'm REALLY tired of the long cold winters.

G

Greg Stebbins

Don't tell anybody but Pa & NY ourselves

We plan to buy a larger cruser and truck it to the gulf (Houston) for summers ourselves. Still and all, it's nice to just walk down and do a few hours on the lake so...2 boats, what the heck! Greg

G

gary

summer great lakes -winter south

I think I would like to spend the summers in the great lakes and winters south or the islands. gary

A

Alan Goodman

Pacific Northwest & Mexico

My ideal retirement would be summers & fall in Puget Sound and winter & spring in Baja Mexico. Sailing out of Anacortes or Bellingham, Washington, you have easy access to a wealth of beautiful sailing areas such as the San Juan Islands, Gulf Islands of Canada, the Sunshine coast of British Columbia, Vancouver Island, Desolation Sound in B.C. and even more on up to Alaska. Summer weather is warm days & cool nights, low humidity, light to brisk winds, some fog. There are a myriad of state and provincial parks with docks, mooring buoys and anchorages;fuel and provisions generally available, although less so the farther north you go. Add bald eagles, seals, dolphins, killer whales. Oh, crabbing too. I don't think you would run out of cruising destinations too soon. But.. in winter, I'd migrate to Baja. La Paz on the Sea of Cortez would be a great winter port. Winter temperatures are much more bearable than the summer, the water is still warm for swimming, and there's generally at least some wind. Provisions including the necessary tequila and cerveza ( and water)are available in La Paz. I have only sampled a few of the cruising grounds in the Sea of Cortez, but they're beautiful (i.e., rugged) uncrowded and unspoiled. Fishing and diving are great, and although I'm not into those things, I enjoyed snorkeling and feasting on BBQ-d dorado caught by others. The pace is much slower than the NW, which suits my basically lazy style of cruising. I haven't yet figured out how I would pull off this dream crusing combo, but I've got 5 more years before I can take off. Tick, tock.

B

bob

west coast of florida

great climate, wonderful sailing waters, lots of anchorages, etc...if you're interested in the keys, try sw fl....downside is distance from the bahamas, and can be cooler in the winter than the lower east coast of fl...

T

ted

north, south

if you are self sufficent, dont need a marina or other amenities alaska's the place. the pacific n.w in the summers like the carib in the winter, a billion boats all wanting to go where you are. just hold up a map of alaska you could spend a life time exploreing. my fellow alaskans will banish me for posting this. in the winter you cant beat mexico's sea of cortez

B

Bob Camarena

San Joaquin Delta

The San Joaquin Delta area aka SF Bay Delta is a great place for sailing and boating in general. With direct water access to SF Bay plus the lower cost of living of the central valley, you have the best of both worlds. We berth our C-30 in Stockton, CA which is about 80 miles inland from SF. We usually take two days to go to the Bay but it can be done in one. I think that the coincidence of Lake Stockton, MO and Stockton, CA is too much to ignore. Check out the Stockton Sailing Club at www.stocktonsc.org/.

M

Melody Miller

Cost of Living in Annapolis area.

Hi Steve: The cost of living around Annapolis is very reasonable- not like inside the beltway. For example, I spent the weekend on my boat about which is about 20 minutes from downtown Annpolis. For breakfast, I had 2 eggs, two pieces of toast, 3 pieces of bacon, and coffee at a local hole in the wall for 3.25 cents. Since I live in Alexandria rather than Annapolis, I'm not sure about housing except that most new subdivisions (3 bed 2 bath) seem to start in the low 100's if you don't have waterfront property. Soon as I get some classes finished, *I* may move to Annapolis and start retirement early. Thanks Melody

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Not Portland!

Tell you what - I'm ready to get out of this soggy pit! Sure it's green and pretty but man, can't get a day of sunshine! Besides, you have to constantly short tack cuz the river's only a mile wide. Why do I live here again? San Diego sounds like a more reasonable choice for retired & non-retired alike! LaDonna

R

Rick Webb

Southern Texas Coast

I have lived on the east coast and the panhandle of Florida, the coast of Virginia close to Annapolis and now in Biloxi Mississippi and would still recommend somewhere else. Plan to leave the area during spring break. August and September can be a little warm. All sorts of places to play Robinson Caruso, nice folks, and you can walk across the border to Mexico and stock up on libations real cheap. The stars at night are big and bright...

B

Bryan C.

Pacific Northwest

Donna's right. I grew up in Seattle and the Pac NW is a fabulously beautiful place, but people there don't tan, they rust.

G

Gary Scheier

Bob Camarena is right

We live in San Rafael, which is right where San Francisco Bay meets San Pablo Bay. On SF Bay you have usually great wind, low relative humidity, cool weather (fog in certain areas). But if you don't like the weather, just sail five miles! You can sail up the Delta for 100 degree+ dry heat and hang out in shorts. One of the hardest things may be the cost of living sticker shock. Consider living aboard, maybe. Good Luck! Gary Scheier "Serenisea" Hunter 28

Status
Not open for further replies.