Whats the Best Oil for an Atomic 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg Greene

I am getting ready to change the oil in my Atomic 4. My last oil change I used a 30 weight non detergent. Some of the posts I have read recommend 4 stroke motorcycle oil. What is the best oil to use??

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Go to a farm equipment dealer

and ask what they recommend for the old tractors. Those old farmalls and fords had engines very similar to the atomic four.

J

Jim

Oil Recommendation

Moyer Marine has a page discussion different oil options. Seems like straight 30W is the way to go, but others may work. Their page is:

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
Shell Rotella 10w-40

At the risk of starting a brand war ... Universal called for 30w in the early manuals, then changed the spec to 10w-30. I use Shell Rottela 10w-40 in mine. It is a HD oil rated for diesel service and has no friction modifiers. One problem than can happen with modern automotive oil is the high fuel economy rated stuff. It can contain friction modifiers than play hell with the clutch in both Atomic 4 and motorcycle engines. (I use Rottela in my motorcycle for that reason) If your engine is in good shape (about 100-105 psi compression), it should be happy with most any oil except the friction modified stuff.

Jan 16, 2006
- - New Orleans
Synthetics

I have used AMSOIL pure synthetic in my atomic for several thousand miles of hard motoring. I get a few degrees cooler operating temp and the engine is quiet and seems to be putting out more power. This has been a two year test to see how the AMSOIL would do and I must say it is great. Now some people will say well your a dealer so you would say that. I say I will not use sometihing in my boat AMSOIL or anything else if it does not do the job. So 7000 miles more or less motoring and not one problem and when you change the oil and it is still clean you will have to say this is good. I push a 22.000 lb boat at full speed and the Atomic and Amsoil are doing the job great.When your ready to save that motor for hundreds of hours contact me on this site. I will give you the oil at my cost + shipping for the first oil change you must flush the old carbon oil out first AMSOIL engine flush works great but Gunk and some other companies sell some flush also. But I recomend you start using all AMSOIL Grease Oil and Filters in everything you own that runs on gas or diesel. Jakster*5

J

Jakster

Reply to my post

Ok I have not been here in a very long time but here we go. I use AMSOIL High Performance Motorcycle Oil in my Atomic 4. The reason is the Motorcycle formula is designed for wet clutch operation no friction modifiers and we have the same set up in the A4. I am still getting great results with all AMSOIL products I am testing them in everything I own. After three years of running the stuff in my boats its a winner. Contact me at krugerrand38@yahoo.com for products from AMSOIL DIRECT DEALER.

Status
Not open for further replies.