What’s the Best Additive to Help Boat Paint Flow?

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Trying to get ideas for helping boat paint flow better. I need it to spread more evenly and get that sprayed look. I’ve used penetrol which has helped. All ideas welcomed, thanks.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What kind of paint, and how are you applying it?

Normally, the paint mfg has thinner specific to the paint you are using, and the have recommended viscosity for the temperature, humidity and application method you will see when applying.

Greg

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
x2 for follow the manufacturer's thinning directions. Yeah their special thinner might cost a little more, but when you think of all the time and effort you spent prepping PLUS the effort you'd have to spend doing the job again (and buying the paint you just ruined again), it's well worth it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thinning your paint depends on the paint. Water based is usually water, oil based can be several chemicals.

The paint directions should tell you what is recommended for your paint.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
+1 for manufactures directions. I’m no pro but I was pleased with TotalBoat Wet Edge paint thinned with their “special brushing thinner”. The environment matters too - too much heat or direct sun will prevent good flow out for example.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
If brushing, the brush makes or breaks it. I believe it’s called stippling, roll it on with the correct roller then stiple with the correct brush. I used Brightside for my Laser and a badger brush was the only thing that worked well.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Beyond the thinning concern is the method of application. If roller and brush are used I have heard the method called "roll and tip". We use that method regularly. Rolling spreads the paint evenly and then the brush work eliminates the bubbles of the roller. Three points of interest: (1) we use a foam roller, (2) we use extremely light pressure (ie: barely touching the paint surface) and long smooth strokes to smooth off the bubbles. My wife uses the roller and I follower her with the paint brush. A good quality brush is also important since we don't want any stray bristles in the finished coat of paint. (3) We use good quality masking tape to cover parts we do not want to paint.

Enjoy your project and perhaps show us the result.