What's one thing on your boat that drives you crazy!

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Galley sink drain. Ours is near the level of the waterline so the drain tube connects to a sump tank shared with the aft shower. Then a remote pump, diaphragm type, pumps the water overboard. Hair and food bits will clog the pump over time so I added an in-line filter. Now it clogs the filter making it a weekly chore. We tried many styles of sink baskets but none that keeps bits the size of coffee grounds from passing down the drain.

Can I post one a day?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My Catalina 320 has stern seats on both sides of the helm and the seat opens into a locker on both sides. The previous owner mounted cockpit speakers in such a manner that the seats clip the plastic speaker covers (on both sides!) and the covers have been destroyed. I don't need the speakers, but I don't have any desire to do the work to close the holes, either. One of the holes is directly into the aft berth. I plan to replace the speakers, but I would have to cut the holes to the outside diameter of the speaker covers so they can be recessed into the fiberglass. :facepalm: And then I would have to seal the joint somehow.
@Scott T-Bird Don't know if this will help. I came across this webstore and they have a wide selection of speaker grills.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
@DougM I am considering this addon, Granger and McMaster Carr have a great selection of gas shocks, this is where I purchased the upgrade to the booms rod kicker allowing me to repurpose the topping lift. I am concerned though on what the mounting of said gas shock will do over time to the mounting locations, unless of course I glass in some blocks onto the existing surfaces where the shock would mount.
I don’t think you need to be too concerned. I used some teak that I had handy as backing plates for the strut brackets, and in my case, through bolted the teak with stainless bolts. That was at least 10 years ago. The strut was starting to wear out at the end of the last season. Its just a matter of releasing the clips on the ends of the strut and installing a new one.
(On my boat the lazerette hatch consists of the entire starboard cockpit seat including the back. I estimated the weight at about 40 pounds, and used a strut with a 40 pound weight spec.)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I have definitely been considering the exact same thing!
Scotty, its the only way. :). Particularly when the stupid buzzer wont, unless it wants to, which is tied to the removal if the multimeter from the tool box. Cursed i tell you.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@DougM sounds similar to our port side lazaret cover the whole seat back and all hinges, I hate the sound of it slamming down, which happens when someone other than myself closes it. So you must have mounted the lift assist on the front edge?

Mar 15, 2021
Rhodes 22 Chesapeake Bay
The lack of standing head room. Spent 26 years living on boats with sufficient head room, now living in a house so weekending on the boat with the wife and two boys is going to be a challenge...