What's on this hull

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Hi all, I'm looking at another C30 which needs some work. The hull needs paint and maybe more. Its been in a cradle at least a year. I've attached some pictures and was wondering what you think is on this hull. A barrier coat of some sort? It doesn't appear to be smooth gel coat as you would expect.
Thanks
Doug

Attachments

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
You have several wear issues due to aging sailboats: the first photo shows a horizontal Catalina smile running across the hull to keel joint. There also appears to be rust staining which should not be on the surface of the keel, since it is lead, not steel. This is water seeping out of the keel, likely from water seepage from the bilge, through the keel bolts & their plywood base plates. The round areas of popping craters are likely where blisters in the gelcoat are popping just beneath the surface of what is left of the gelcoat. The cracking is where the many layers of old bottom paint are loosening & delaminating. That hull looks like its due for a complete striping & peeling down to the original fiberglass surface. This can cost big bucks if U hire it out to a yard. I've heard quotes of 8 to 10k range for a 30 foot hull for a hull peel as its very labor intensive. Unless the boat's a great deal, the I would pass on it, there's a lot of fish in the sea.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
thanks for the info. Funny thing is this is a 1990 so no ply in the keel i would think. Also the bulkheads need replacing as there is rot up by the chainplate and at the bottom where the cushions touch. The deck looks good except where a dodger fastener use to be. The hole was never sealed and there is about 6" diameter of softness. The m3-20 has 1150hrs and the main needs replacing. The hull is really the only thing that I would consider the big issue.
I think I will pass...

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
I believe that Catalina continued to use marine plywood in the keel sump in almost all years of the C 30, whether they be Mark 1 or 2 models. Only the Mark 3 and the 309 show significant design changes. Check for the many past discussions on this site regarding the Catalina smile. Its an inherint weakness in the design of all C 30's.
But that is besides the point, because maintenance on a sailboat, or lack thereof is even more important. Condition is everything when you hunt for a good C 30. I've seen 70's era boats in better shape then 90's era yachts. I work as a building inspector, but a not a surveyor. In my trade its all about condition & maintenence, and if they're lacking it usually winds up costing bug bucks. You're potentially looking at thousands on a major hull job and $1,500 on a new mainsail. Bulkhead replacement is also a major job. What is the asking price? That's what would help determine whether or not its worth it. A 1990 C 30 does have a much better engine then the 70's & early 80's Catalina's (like mine!)

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I stand corrected then. I thought I read somewhere the the ply keel stub was eliminated somewhere around 1988 but I might be wrong. I also read that the compression post base wood block was in all C30s. I'm not afraid to tackle most things but the hull.. The asking price is 24900 but obviously wouldn't offer that or anywhere close to that.
A lot of good advice folks. thanks

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
DJ, I wouldn't touch that boat for a mid 20k price. Even though it is a 90's model, that hull surface looks badly neglected. It looks more like a late 70's boat! You can easily pick up an early to mid 80's C 30 for around 12 to 14 K or maybe even a lil less. You can pocket the difference, or put 10k into it & come out with a sweet C 30 with new sails, upgraded hardware & cabin, etc. In this bad economy I see a lot of poor fellas unloading their pride & joy just to get out from under the crushing slip fees, taxes, maintenance & upkeep, etc. It's not just buyin her that's expensive, its keepin her!

Status
Not open for further replies.