Whats it worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Ben Macdonald

Hi I'm putting an offer in to buy a Hunter 34, 1983 model from the actual owner, the boat is in fair condition, no extras. I am trying to work out what the price range is? Any ideas would be much welcome! Thks

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Check the web site and NADA guide.

Ben: Check the Nada guide (you can look it up). Then go out to the web site (HOW) and check any boats for sale. The prices are different depending on where you are purchasing the boat. Offer a low price and plan on spending a bunch on doing all of the upgrades that you can imagine. They can and will make a counter offer if they do not like it. If you get it for YOUR price you are OKAY. If you don't, there is another and probably better and better equipped one waiting out there for you. Be sure that you get a GOOD survey to base your offer on.

T

Terry Goodin

Website for boat values

Ben, Check the site below. You'll have to take a few minutes to signup, but it's free. It seems pretty accurate but I'm no expert on boat values. http://www.bucvalu.com/BUCValuConsumer/query?modify Terry

S

Steve

34 Pricing

Ben, I was looking at 34's for a couple years, and did a fair amount of background work on pricing. I think the biggest factor I found was location of the boat (Great Lakes...freash water, or on a coast...salt). the fresh water boats tended to be about $3-$5000 more than the salt water ones. The year change was about $1000-$1500 for a newer year. This assumes all were in about the same condition and with the same gear. I came close to getting an '84 fresh water boat with no extra gear in good condition for $34,500 fall '00. At that time, other I looked at ('83-'86) were selling for $28,000-$40,000. Quite a range, but location, condition, and extras can cause that. By the way, I ended up buy a new 320 for half the down payment and same monthly payment as a used 34. I figure that my decision will now happen in five years when the '34 would have been paid off and I still have 10 years to pay on the 320. Good luck! Steve

E

Ed Schenck

No extras?

To me that is the most important point of your question. If you check the sources already mentioned and the link below you will find most H34s will have at least a few extras. The prices in Yacht World range from $26000. to $45000! Just be sure you do the math correctly because those "extras" can set you back a bundle! A decent main and jib will be about $3000. and up. Then if there are other problems like moisture in the core, leaks, diesel, tranny, etc. the math can be really difficult. I suppose that's why we ante up for that very important survey.

B

Bill Thiers

Ditto...get a survey

I bought a 1983 H34 a year ago. I invested in a professional survey, and figure it was the single smartest move I made in the transaction. Got peace of mind regarding the basic soundness of the boat. But also got a professional thumb in the wind market price specific to the boat, to benchmark against published comparables to which other contributors here refer. Good luck!

R

Richard

What is value any way?

I own a Hunter 34 (1983) and I am a Yacht Broker. The 34's come in all conditions and prices. The average selling price is $34,000 with some extra equipment and repairs needed. I would not sell my 83 model for less than $40K, but I have sold others for $28K that needed work. Find a yacht that you like and make a offer that you can live with. Don't worry about what other's have paid for their boat. Most surveyors use BUC to establish market value and most of the time want to know what you are paying so they don't come in too low on their number. Any yacht is only worth the enjoyment you can get from it and what it will sell for after you are ready to move on. Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.