What year is my Widgeon need someone with Widgeon experience

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
Oday Widgeon Lake Palestine
I have several Questions I am new to Widgeons what are these screws for, they are fore and aft they are probably not stock to the boat , 2nd What year is my Widgeon hull # 1056 and the class is 295W just wondering. 3rd Does anyone know what this hole is next to the forestay Bracket. Does any one know where I can get parts? Thanks for your help in advance

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Widgeon!!

1. My best guess is previous owner screws installed for an unknown reason as an internest search on "O'Day Widgeon images" did not see these. Suggest removing the rusty screws to see what they connect to and replacing them with new stainless screws or if not functional filling the holes then gelcoat to make them dissappear.
2. I assume the boat does not have a hull number and built before November 1, 1972. Year is likely 1965 based on Hull ID Help - Mariner Class Association (usmariner.org) .
3. Again my best guess is previous owner holes drilled for an unknown reason as an internest search on "O'Day Widgeon images" did not see these. Suggest filling the holes then gelcoat to make them dissappear OR create a new function for them.

Ohh the mysteries of owning a used boat is discovering the functionality of holes and screws OR simply adding them to your worklist to fill in and gelcoat over. I have the same issue on a recently purchased 1984 boat ........ so I have been filling in holes in and gelcoating over, replacing rusty screws or simply installing stainless steel bolts/washers/nuts in case I ever discover a future function for those holes.

Attachments

Last edited:

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
Oday Widgeon Lake Palestine
Hello hunter 46
Thanks for the reply I have sailed several times out of point Richmond in a friends sailboat I also used to help a friend out with marine surveying. Anyway you are right filling so many holes in such a small boat and not using SS . Thanks for the heads up on the year.
Makes you wonder how cheap people can be doing Micky mouse stuff on a boat and it never blows up or sinks . If I did the stuff that I have seen in boats it would be at the bottom of the ocean the next day.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I used to have a 1969 (might have been a 1970?) Widgeon, do your boat looks familiar. I'd place the age at 1963, maybe 1964, possibly from the first year the Widgeon was built! HULL# refers to total O'DAY production (all models) Class# refers to that class (Widgeon in this case). You have the 295th Widgeon built, so she must be an early one! Mine was Class# 1791.

The rusty screws in both forward and aft seats/flotation tanks are definitely not factory stock, but it is interesting that they appear the same pattern, like there was something mounted in both locations that matched? Hole don't look big enough to have been for fittings for a lifting setup, and I can't think of anything that would be inside those areas to match the screw hole pattern. Hmmm?

The hole where it appears some kind of fitting was located next to the stemhead fitting (forestay chainplate/jib tack connection) might have been for some kind of jib downhaul line? I think it can be filled in without worry.

Parts for the most part can be obtained from D&R Marine in Assonet, MA. (www.drmarine.com) Rudy Nickerson (the "R" in D&R) used to work at O'DAY in the Parts Dept. and now runs a little shop (Rudy and his Wife are the entire staff!) making and selling O'DAY parts, he won't have everything, but pretty much will know where to get it if he doesn't. For several years (1990-2005) he was building the Widgeon after O'DAY shut down, sadly the production costs were narrowing the profit margin to the point that he could not keep the boat in production. Too bad, because they were GREAT boats! Oh, and if you order anything from D&R it is usually a good ides to follow up with a phone call (508) 644-3001, Rudy doesn't do e-mail, he just gets way too many e-mails to answer all of them! If in doubt about any fixes or parts needed, a call will get you great advice!