What would you buy first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
So, my new (to me) 26D has gone 25 years with just the rigging that Macgregor put on it. But, I'm looking at adding a few things to make it easier and safer to sail. Here are some of the things I'm considering:
- Boom vang
- Single (double?) line reefing system
- Halyards led aft
- Main traveler
- Roller furler
- Tiller extension or Tiller Tamer to reach the jib sheets when solo (or the 1st mate is busy rounding up lunch)

I will be sailing mostly Puget Sound and large lakes for daysailing and weekend cruising. I have two reef points on my main, but short of grabbing onto the boom to tie lines, there is no good set up for reefing. I'd like to be able to continue sailing well into the fall, since our summers winds are pretty calm.

Jun 4, 2006
Macgregor 26X Gray Hawk, KY
1. Tiller extension/tamer
2. Roller Furler
3. Reefing system

There rest will work themselves out.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
The roller furler is one of the best things we have done to the boat sailing wise. Since you can bring the headsail in to any point or just bring it in fast it has helped with Ruth's confidence putting it out in heavier winds.

We only have one higher reef point on our sail and I installed...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-22.html

...single line reefing that is also way faster than what we use to do. I don't mind going to the mast, but it would of been easy to of taken it to the cockpit.

The other big help both at the end of the day and while reefing has been the ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-9.html

...sail-pack/cover that Ruth made along with a lazy-jack system. There again taking the main out or putting it away is now much quicker and easier.

One thing that you don't mention is replacing the standing rigging that might be a good idea on boats getting the age of ours, especially if they have been used much in salt water. It isn't that expensive and is pretty easy to do yourself or not even that expensive to send the rigging to a rigging shop like riggingonly.com who did make up our new forestay since it has swagged on fittings that you can't do at home. A $73 swagger....

http://www.toolfetch.com/hand-swagers-43005.shtml

.... will take care of the shrouds and backstay at home along with the forestay if it is orginal. I found one for about $55 a year ago.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
can you post a pic of your boom? any blocks on the ends?

the tiller extension is fairly cheap ($60), vang needs a boom hoop (<$100)

reefing would be my top priority... without it, it can be unsafe. a few check blocks and some line (< $150 ?)

roller furling is nice to have, but a major PITA, if you trailer each trip. (very nice to have, but not required). (Sail need to be re cut) and the hardware $500?

running halyards aft will need some turning blocks on the deck, and some spinlocks, and a mast plate to hold some blocks and blocks ($300?)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
...reefing would be my top priority... without it, it can be unsafe. a few check blocks and some line (< $150 ?)...
I kind of added up in my head what I had for one reef point and it is probably about $80, so I think you are close on what you could do two for. Maybe less if you didn't use the air blocks I did up on the sail, but they do decrease friction over just running the line through the grommets.

Now if you ran the lines back to the cockpit it would be more and then I'd want the air blocks for sure.

....roller furling is nice to have, but a major PITA, if you trailer each trip.....
Bill I would say the roller furler has only added a couple minutes to setup time and well worth that. I bungee a short support piece to the mast and also to the furler to support the drum hanging out front...

(Note: Above the mast and boom have been wrapped in tarp pieced to help keep road grime off of them for the 2200 mile trip to Florida.)

... of the mast on the trailer. That takes a minute. Next unbolt the mast from the pulpit and pick the mast and furler up together and push them back to the point where you can pin the mast to the deck. Hook up the ...

...mast raising system. Then I spend another minute and tie the furler to the top of the gin pole....

...like shown above, not our boat, but who I copied. I tie it a little higher on the gin pole. Raise the mast without messing with the furler. Once the mast is up untie the furler and pin it. Another minute to untie it.

I'd read all the horror stories on here and the other sites about dealing with the furler, but just tying it to the gin pole resolves everything. We always use the mast raising system. If you don't then yes pushing the mast up and dealing with the furler would be a mess. The furler has completely spoiled us.

We don't have one, but know you do and that is an autopilot. If I sailed by myself I think that would be top of the list. If you have some boat control and point it into the wind and keep it there then you can deal with a lot by yourself,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Oct 3, 2007
MacGregor 26D Salem Harbor
How's your budget?

So, my new (to me) 26D has gone 25 years with just the rigging that Macgregor put on it. But, I'm looking at adding a few things to make it easier and safer to sail. Here are some of the things I'm considering:
- Boom vang
- Single (double?) line reefing system
- Halyards led aft
- Main traveler
- Roller furler
- Tiller extension or Tiller Tamer to reach the jib sheets when solo (or the 1st mate is busy rounding up lunch)

I will be sailing mostly Puget Sound and large lakes for daysailing and weekend cruising. I have two reef points on my main, but short of grabbing onto the boom to tie lines, there is no good set up for reefing. I'd like to be able to continue sailing well into the fall, since our summers winds are pretty calm.
I'm on my second Mac - now a 26D and have the same list of mods that you have - comes down to dollars.

Reefing the main is a great thing to have if you will be sailing in a stiff breeze. Roller furling is great - but one of the more expensive things you will have to spend on - not only do you need the furler, but I guess you will also have to modify or replace your jib.

Next, for me - is a traveler. I put one on my Mac 22 and it totally changed the capabilities I had for trim while under sail.

Having gone through all that - I'm sailing my Mac 26D without a furler or a traveler yet and having a blast - bending on the jib or taking it down is not a big issue for me. While a traveler will expand the boat's capabilities, it sails pretty darn well without one.

One modification that you didn't mention that you might need is to replace the rudder with a slightly larger one to eliminate weather helm. I definitely have some of that on my boat with the stock rudder. At 5 knots, had to work a little to keep her from rounding up.

B.O.A.T. - Break out another thousand!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'd do the cheap mods first, tiller tamer and boom vang. Then I'd target the roller furler. The rest I'd do after I got settled in to sailing her.

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
1. Jiffy (slab) reefing
2. Roller furler
3. Tiller tamer or, better yet, an autopilot

You've got to be able to shorten sail quickly when conditions change. The first two allow you to do that. Imo, an autopilot is critical if you're going to be singlehanding to any degree.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
The boom is pretty bare; just a horn cleat for the outhaul. It doesn't even have a connector for the boom lift, requiring the excess outhaul line to do double duty.
I'm thinking of safety first when the winds pick up, so looks like common opinion is to start with
1. Tiller tamer
2. Reefing system. (Any opinions on BWY's single line reefing kit, or make my own?)
3. Boom vang

Then, after I hit the lottery, I can consider the roller furler and a bigger rudder. I also considered EZ-jacks, but I think I will wait to see how often I end up reefing.

May 4, 2005
you could add epoxy to the leading edge of the rudder to help balance it.

Someone bent some SS plate to accomplish the same thing... (let me look for that pic).

I put a jam cleat under the tiller and it acts like a tiller tamer...

the problem with them is these are such light boats, when you move your weight forward, it changes the angle of attack...

I'd do the reefing asap. its a safety issue. (let me see if I can find my boom pics)

The question is: single vs double reefing lines .... long debated & lots of opinions.

I have double line reefing and like it, cause its simple-er, and harder to jam up.

I've used single line reefing, and had it jam, and that's a big pain, and somewhat dangerous, since the main is flogging (like mad). and you;re rushing to reduce sail.

I think double line reefing is for smart folks that reduce sail when its needed, unlike me, that does it only when its well past due time to reduce sail.

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
MrBill,
I'm sure we've all waited too long to shorten sail.
I guess you're heard the expression - the time to reef is when you first begin to wonder whether you should reef.

May 4, 2005
MrBill,
I'm sure we've all waited too long to shorten sail.
I guess you're heard the expression - the time to reef is when you first begin to wonder whether you should reef.

Ha! I'm not that smart! (do as I say, not as I do!)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
...2. Reefing system. (Any opinions on BWY's single line reefing kit, or make my own?)....
I looked at their kit at $90 and it doesn't really say what is included. I just added the parts list of what I used to my mod page....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-22.html

... and with the line I'd be at $90, but I used blocks up at the reef points on the sail and it looks like they don't and if you subtract what I paid for those, $15 each, then just buying the parts would be cheaper.

So what exactly does their kit include? Reef line? Only cheek blocks? Fairlead? Does it end at the mast like mine or have blocks to get the line back to the cockpit? I'd find out exactly what is in their kit before you make a decision. It isn't a hard mod to accomplish, pretty straight forward if you look at what I've done or google and look at others.

I'm very happy with ours, but you do the reefing at the mast. I drop the main there and then pull in the reef line there. If your main halyard goes to the cockpit then you would want your reefing line/lines to also go there. You will be manipulating the main halyard and the reef line while reefing, so I would want all the lines that you are using to be at the same location.

Bill where are your lines now? I know you aren't a fan of the single line reefing, but so far no problems for us, but it hasn't been used hundreds of times so far, less than 50.

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Faris

Apr 20, 2011
Catalina 27 San Juan Islands
Wow, lot of responses. The roller furler was a popular suggestion. I would have to qualify any response with insight into how you sail. The most relevant questions:

• Do you normally/frequently single-hand?
  • When you don't single-hand, how capable is your foredeck crew?
  • How experienced are you?
The answers to these questions have a big impact on what I think you should focus on. For me, the roller furler is no big deal. I never single-hand, I have a cracking crew, and I have strong experience. There are times when we get tired of taking down and putting up headsails, and in this region conditions can change frequently and radically. But, in the grand scheme of things it just isn't a high priority (not compared to some of the other items on the list).

I'll take the traveler off the list for now, since it doesn't really submit to the same criteria as the other items. The boom vang might be considered under the same criteria as the traveler, but I think it still falls under the criteria of safety and convenience.

I would just go ahead and move the tiller tamer to the top of the list since it is so cheap, simple, and greatly extends what you can do on the boat, whether single-handing or otherwise. Since it is so inexpensive, compared to the other items, and it is so frequently useful, I would put it straight to the top of the list.

This just leaves the boom vang, reefing system, halyards, and furler.

If you rarely single-hand, and have a good crew, then running the halyards aft would be a very low priority. The reefing system would be just above that. Both of these items are valuable in terms of safety and convenience, but both are optional with a good crew. Where the furler fits in to priorities has more to do with your experience and the fitness of your crew. If either of these is in doubt, consider the furler before the vang.

If you usually/frequently single-hand, then this puts the furler straight to the top of the list, followed by running the main halyard aft, followed by the reefing system.

The boom vang is almost in a class all its own. It doesn't really fit under considerations primarily dealing with performance tweaking, as does the traveler, but it is not as contributory to safety and convenience as the other items. You might not want to make it your highest priority, but I would definitely consider it before the traveler. Then again, if you never single-hand and you have a very strong crew, this item may float higher up the list as some of the other items become less critical.

I'll take some flack for this, but regardless of the type of sailing you do (unless you are primarily concerned with performance over safety and convenience), the traveler just isn't that important. Yes, it can contribute to safety, but not as much as most of the other items, and only if properly used. Otherwise it can make matters worse.

So, I'll try to simplify my suggestions.

First, get the tiller tamer and take it off the list. Cheap, easy to install, useful every time you sail.

Second, consider if performance is more important than safety and convenience. If so, put the traveler at or near the top of the list. Otherwise, put it at the bottom.

If you single-hand much, consider:

1. Roller furler
  2. Main halyard aft
  3. Reefing system
  4. Boom vang
If you don't often single-hand, but your crew situation is not reliable:

1. Roller furler
  2. Reefing system
  3. Boom vang
  4. Main halyard aft
If you rarely single-hand and always have a strong crew:

1. Boom vang
  2. Roller furler
  3. Reefing system
  4. Main halyard aft
In this case, you might consider the reefing system before the roller furler, but probably not. I would, but I have fairly specific reasons for it.

I hope this helps.

May 4, 2005
Bill where are your lines now? I know you aren't a fan of the single line reefing, but so far no problems for us, but it hasn't been used hundreds of times so far, less than 50.

Sum
In order for me to reef the main, I need to setup the main to reef, before the main is raised. (at the dock). I have a tack reef line on the boom at all times, but it needs to be pre-feed thru the gromment before its all up.

Same for the reef outhaul / clew needs to be rigged thru the grommet before its all up. sometimes I don't do that.... (bad I know).

when I reef, I drop the main halyard to around where the original tack was. (A big J hook would simplify this), then I secure the downhaul/tack. then go to the outhaul and bring that in. by then I'm usually bearing off, and working on collecting/rolling the middle sail and securing with the lines in the middle of the sail, but not so tight that there is any real load on them. (I do leave those lines in the sail)

the problem is, if I'm reefing, its over 15knts already...(OK 20knts! ;) ) and probably 2-4' so its a easy to get hurt... main is flogging like mad... and boat is rocking... (I don't think about starting the engine)

I NEED to get the reef done in like 30 seconds... or I'm falling off and running... (at least the tack needs to be set.).

What I usually do is, if I think its going to blow over 17knt setup for reefing at the dock, and shake it out if not needed.

if I didn't setup for reefing, I just try to spill air...

or if its light on day1, and heavy on day 2, just not run the jib.

since I normally sail to the same area (elliot key), its normally upwind on day1, downwind on day2, so pretty easy to get back on just the main....

now, if I was smart, and reefed at 15knts, it probably wouldn't be so bad...

but I've been stuck trying to reef, (other peoples boats, mostly), and had a line get jammed in a block, or otherwise a jam in the reef line... now I've got a bunch of loose sail on the deck(slippery), fighting to get the tack secured, and not get tossed over board... my experience w/ single line was the outhaul would get pulled in 1st, and we'd fight to get the tack secured... thus my concern.

its only when things go bad, I want the double line reefing. (since its simpler) when it works single line is much better, but I'm not always lucky.

(oh yeah, most big boats run the reef line THOUGH the boom, so even harder to free it up should it jam.)

So maybe its not so bad on the mac where its external... but I do like simple.

-think about reefing the day you motored all day (charlotte harbor to cayo casa ) I know I'd want the lowest probabliity for a jam.

I could be totally wrong, but I'm doing what I feel best for me.

*ymmv.

May 4, 2005
*I've also got thick (7/16") reefing lines, 'cause there easy on my hands.. (but more weight aloft).

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
A question for those that run the halyards to the cockpit.

Do you have lazzy jacks and a down haul to control the main sail once it comes down?

A down haul on the jib to hold it down?

Or once down do you have to secure the sails by getting out of the cockpit?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have everything led to the cockpit. Eventually I'll have my swing keel led back too. I still have to go below to pee though. Provided there's mixed company :)

• furling line
  • lazyjacks
  • main halyard
  • reefing

Status
Not open for further replies.