What Works? / What Doesn't?

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
What works:
Marine Tex (for fillin' & drillin')
X-14 (for mold - spray it on, wait a few minutes, rinse it off)
StaBil (the blue formula for ethanol-laced gas)
SeaFoam

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
I have to throw my 2 bits worth in here.

What works
Signet marine instruments. Mine are the originals and was very surprised to see they still work when i bought the boat last year.
Signet's service, I broke a cup from the mast head weather station while the mast was down. Was totally pleasantly surprised when the owner himself offered to send me one free of charge thus extending the life of the old system. These little considerations will make me look at their equipment when I eventually install new stuff.
Standard Horizon base and hand held VHF(the 25 year old base still works great)
Garmin Chart plotter and sonar
Harken stuff(winches, furlers ,blocks)
Honda 2hp outboard
Origo passive alcohol stove/oven
Yanmar 3gmf( have no idea how many hours on it but starts every time and runs like a top.
3m 4200 and 5200 caulk
West systems epoxy
Campbell Sailor prop

So far due to the research i'v done before buying any product, mainly on this site thank you, everything I have works, so far.

Bayguy

Dec 6, 2010
catalina 320 Annap.
Works:

TERRO ant killer. About $4/bottle, ACE HW. Mostly borax & sugar syrup. About two tablespoons will kill ALL ants within 3 days within 4000 sq ft. The critters line up like pigs in a trough and go home to feed the queen, never to return.

I'll second this!:)

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
For me...

Works
* Heavy terminal grease for bolted wiring conections (No-oxid brand)
* Maglights or similar well-focused light
* A tight fuel cap
* Computer fans for ventilation (much cheaper and more flexible than common solar fans)
* Cuban yo-yos for trolling
* Some climbing gear (seat harnesses, sewn slings, SS bolt hangers, wire gate carabiners, resuce pulleys, assenders) but the not the rest of it
* Fleece socks
* Wraping SS wheel and posts with 1/4" line, for better grip, warmth and comfort
* Storm windows (fit in the screen slots) for winter (reduce cold and condensation)

Doesn't work
* Anticorrosion sprays, unless you can repeat often. I think Cor-Block is the best of them, though.
* Cockpit spotlights (always blows someone's night vision)
* Gasoline additives (except for winter storage)
* Cigarette lighter 12v plugs (needs a 21st century replacement design that becomes standard)
* Cheap rope
* Splicing used double braid (doesn't have to be old, just set) (knots or seizings do work)
* Lamp wire and wire nuts (every old boat seems to have some hiding-out)
* SS anchor swivels (mine bent, and I only anchor in mud!)
* All plastic sail slugs (SS bails work)
* Shacles on slugs, because PO can't sew (jammed... but resulted in a lot of salvaged bling when replace with webbing!)
* Guide books that are simply copied from the Coast Pilot. They haven't been there. Yuck.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Amen! We've needed this for years!!

P.S. Did you get my PM..?
Yes I did, but it must have been lost.

In case it does not go through...

"Thanks for the compliment! I learn from your posts too.

Yes, the tests included adhesive lined heat shrinks on MTW and SAE wire; in all cases the wire under the seals and near that end of the wire was in exactly the same condition as new.

No, I saw no certain evidence, after stripping the wires, that water or air traveled through the insulation on tinned, SAE, or MTW (THNN) wire. All of the damage (black wire) seemed to be caused by wicking from the end and was limited to a few inches. SAE wire suffered the most, as it had the finest strands (better to wick) and was not tinned. It was also darker that the THNN wire, though I am not clear why that would be.

Would air and water go through the insulation on lamp cord, for example? On old boats I have seen wire that clearly suggests this is true, but I did not test that this time.

I'm not a believer in heat-sealing every connection, though I certainly do in all exterior and damp locations. I should add that I have a dusty bilge and no water leak source (packings or through-hulls) in the main compartment; if I had a wet bilge I would heat seal a lot more!

I am a believer in ratchet crimpers; properly done I have NEVER had a failure either in a boat or industrial setting, and that is a LOT of connections, many in wet or vibration-prone areas. I cannot believe that a non-ratchet crimper could deliver that level of quality control. To assure I have it adjusted properly, I commonly (everytime I'm looking at a new or different brand of crimps or wire) crimp a ring fitting on a length of wire, clamp it in a vise, and pull it apart; if nothing is damaged, I re-adjust."

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
What works:
Cruising during holidays.
Sailing & club races on weekends.

What didn't work:
Working 8-5 on weekdays.