What wind forecast turns you away?

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
So today is a little less cold and not rainy. . .
winds 20MPH with gusts to 30.

im tempted to reef my Capri 18 and launch it, but I’ve had problems getting it back on the trailer in less wind. The forecast says the wind will be coming from straight off the boat ramp, so that would be in my favor.

would not have even considered launching my old (400lb) boat in this wind, but the Capri seems to like a good blow. I think discretion is probably the better part of valor here. I’ve had it out in pretty high wind before, but I didn’t have a number on it.

Also, that day of high wind in Lake Superior, we were out about an hour when my wife requested we call it a day.

And yet I wont get a better day for sailing until May.

decisions … decisions.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
A lot of factors play into it, not all of them rational, such as last chance to sail. If the wind is onshore or offshore determines the wave height. Am I in the mood to battle high winds? Is it sunny or cloudy. I am far more likely to brave otherwise dicey conditions if it is sunny. If you are confident you can handle it and are in the mood for high winds, then sure. Otherwise maybe a walk on the beach is the best way to spend that last day.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It should depend on how, if even, the boat is rigged for high wind. Most boats these days have one set of sails for use in the average range of conditions, say between 6 and 16 kt TWS. Once upon a time a boat, even a Capri 18, might have 4 headsails, each for use in a narrow range of wind conditions. A No. 4 according to North Sails is a headsail used when the mainsail is reefed, not having a full luff, and with a reduced foot. These high wind sails are also flatter (less draft). They reduce heeling going upwind and mitigate backwinding of the mainsail. So if you have the proper headsail(s), then go sailing and enjoy. Otherwise, I’d pass. A roller furled headsail is not a good alternative IMHO.

Last edited: