What were you doing at 18?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
college, and was last year i was able to sail with my uncle on board eleanor, as we moved to st louis, and eleanor was in hudson river, NY.....

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Missed the draft, found a job, found a job with an A-hole boss, found a job with an A-hole boss, found ANOTHER job with an A-hole boss, found ANOTHER job with an A-hole boss, finally figured out who the real A-hole was and found a job that I actually kept for two years. Been werking for "the man" ever since. But only have 28 more wake-ups until pre-retirement vacation starts. :)

Last edited:

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
I find it interesting a majority of us were either in the service or getting ready to enter the service in some form. Are former military more likely to sail? Princess has my vote for best use of her youth. I was just flying sorties thinking about behaving badly. But I got to play with fun toys...really expensive fun toys.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Learning electronics instead of the mechanics I requested and was "promised". But LORAN stations were much better than ice breakers...

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Where were you when I was 18? Or could you even see geeky 5 and 1/2 foot tall skinny boys?

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
The Air Force said you're way too color blind for us but the Army would be real interested in you. Got married right away and started having kids. 47 years later the kids are gone and we're sailing better boats now.
Ray

May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
US Navy - Boot Camp in SD, Class A School in SD, TAD to Sub Base in Groton (3 Mos.), the assigned to USS Gainard DD-706 (Destroyer) for 3-1/4 years. Life was good. No regrets.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
In the summer of '68 working as a groundskeeper at the Vandenberg AFB Officer's Club piicking up cigarette butts in the decorative rocks right next to the ash trays. Ah, so this is what it will be like if I join the Air Force with no real skills. Off to college and a student deferment until the lottery (very high number). Worked on various projects in industry of strategic importance. Gave the official 1 day notice at 54 and have been enjoying life every day since.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
In the summer of '68 working as a groundskeeper at the Vandenberg AFB Officer's Club piicking up cigarette butts in the decorative rocks right next to the ash trays. Ah, so this is what it will be like if I join the Air Force with no real skills. Off to college and a student deferment until the lottery (very high number). Worked on various projects in industry of strategic importance. Gave the official 1 day notice at 54 and have been enjoying life every day since.
I hope that you don't outlive your money. You may be retired for forty years.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Ross,

The plan is to be retired longer than I worked. Part of my evil plan was that my wife had to work two years after I retired (nice) and get a pension from a defense contractor. With a pretty moderate lifestyle and no debt we should be ok. But you are right, that is a problem especially for mid aged folks who have become jobless in these times before they were ready.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
We must remember what we were making 25 years ago when we thought it was a good income. In 1968 I was making a 100 dollar per week pay check today 200 a day is hardly enough.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
Freshman in College(major in Music), earning my bread and tuition by playing in nightclub bands nearly every nite - and still wishing i had a boat..

Status
Not open for further replies.