what type of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Hey,
Anyone with thoughts on the type of oil to use in an experienced M-25 XP ?
The owners manual calls out for a 10W 40, or a SAE 30.....
Looking around, I have seen oil for diesels, 15W 40, or a 10W 30.
There are now syntheic oils for diesel marine use.
Up here in Wisconsin, Lake Michigan really never gets that warm. Even in the middle of summer, water tempurature is 80`F.
Unless motorsailing on a trip, I change oil before lay-up, and shortly after splashing it in spring. If we go on an extended trip, probally change it when returning home port.
Regular oil and filter is relatively inexpensive, and not overly hard to change. I like to get the fuel filter and seperator once a season, which makes more of a mess.
Rottella Diesel 15w 40 sound too heavy???

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Don't use synthetic. Why? 'Cuz it "could" mess up seals, especially where the oil pan attaches to the engine. I tried it once on our '86 engine, and started seeing signs of weeping where none had occurred before. Standard dinosaur oil will work very well. 15-40 is just fine for all weather use. Unless you're using your engine below freezing conditions, you'd see no difference between 10 weight and 15 weight multi-viscosity oil. Rotella is very good, Delo is fine also.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
I always use the multi-weight oil in my diesels and it has always been the Standard Oil Co. "Delo". Diesels really dirty up oils so you use quite high detergent oils in them so the oil removes these dirt particules. I've used this practice on the farm equipment, trucks and boats.
Ray

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
rotella must have the market here, yes always liked standard oil products
Thanks guys for affirming my beliefs.....Always feel better when someone thinks the same way about their equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.