What type of lead was used on an O'day 22

Jan 28, 2018
O'day 1973 22' On the hard
Hello all, new to the forum. I've ended up with a '73 O'day 22 that has had a hard life. Repair is cost ineffective and the boat will be cut up soon. What I am wanting to find out is what type of lead was used for the keel at that time. Ie: glassed in shot/plates, solid cast, multiple cast pieces? Everything I have seen just specifies " encapsulated lead". This is a sad state of affairs and I appreciate imput from anyone with experience.

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
Hey '73 O'Day, glad to see another one coming back to life, Comfortable little boat that can handle itself surprisingly well, Won't out-run or out-point much of anything on the water but that's not why I sail anyway. Good luck with it and pose some pics.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I think, based on what I heard from a former VP of O'DAY (Robert Pierce), that they used lead "ingots" shaped to fit inside the keel, which were then encapsulated in resin, at least that was how they built the 23-2, so I would assume the 22 keel was same. The reference to lead shot in resin would have been that O'DAY suggested owners use that method if they wished to add more ballast to their 22. The lead shot could easily be poured in through the small inspection/bailing hole in the cabin sole ,then resin poured in to keep it in place.
Rudy Nickerson (D&R Marine) would know how the ballast was installed, he was the Parts Dept. Manager for O'DAY from 1973-89 and now supplies us with spare/replacement parts.

From the O'DAY 22 Manual:

Bilge Drain Plug:

The plastic plug in the cabin floor located over the aft end of the keel is provided so that any water in the hull can be pumped out. Be sure to check this area prior to sailing.

Ballast:

The O’Day 22 has 600 lbs. (1972-78) of lead ballast glassed into the keel, which is more than adequate; however, you can add more, if you prefer more stability. The easiest way to add is to pour lead shot (available at any good sporting goods store) into the keel area through the bilge drain plug. You may even mix with catalyzed resin for a more permanent job, but be sure area is dry. We have customers who have added 200 lbs. In this manner, but be sure to increase positive flotation at the same time in order to support the extra weight, should the hull take on water through a leak or hull puncture.

(Ballast was 700 lbs. for 1979, 800 lbs. for 1980-83.)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hey '73 O'Day, glad to see another one coming back to life, Comfortable little boat that can handle itself surprisingly well, Won't out-run or out-point much of anything on the water but that's not why I sail anyway. Good luck with it and pose some pics.
Uhhhh.. did you read his post? He's cutting it up.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI

The O’Day 22 has 600 lbs. (1972-78) of lead ballast glassed into the keel, which is more than adequate; however, you can add more, if you prefer more stability. The easiest way to add is to pour lead shot (available at any good sporting goods store) into the keel area through the bilge drain plug. You may even mix with catalyzed resin for a more permanent job, but be sure area is dry. We have customers who have added 200 lbs. In this manner, but be sure to increase positive flotation at the same time in order to support the extra weight, should the hull take on water through a leak or hull puncture.
(Ballast was 700 lbs. for 1979, 800 lbs. for 1980-83.)
That's an amazing thing for the factory to suggest. Added 'ballast' there will have almost ZERO effect on the Center of Gravity, almost zero effect on the the resulting righting arm, and little effect on stability.

You need to add ballast to the OTHER side of the keel to have any real effect.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Uhhhh.. did you read his post? He's cutting it up.
Exactly. He's just trying to see if it's worth trying to salvage the lead in the keel.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Is the price of lead worth the trouble? On the other hand, how do you safely dispose of lead without the EPA coming after you?