What type of cleat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
I have horn cleats everywhere on my boat. Even by the winches so when I cleat off my jib sheet, I have to loopty-loo around the cleat. Subsequently, when things get hairy, I have to reverse the process. This is a pain in the . . . back! So I'm considering replacing them with something more efficient. So, what's your favorite cleat, and why? I'm asking the trailer sailors because other forums would insist that rope clutches costing only $600 a piece are the only way to go!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
My favorite cleat is a self-tailing winch. Small ones are often available on eBay or in consignment stores for affordable prices. I can't think of a more helpful device, particularly if you single-hand a lot as I do....

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
I forgot to add - I'd also add clam cleats as ed suggest. I had horns on my Island Packet 27 for all my lines. I left it on the main sail since it worked just fine.
Look at rope clutches too if they fit your particular purpose. here's the practical sailor reviews. These are my primary rope handling mechanism on for all halyards and sheets backed up by horns. My roller furler also has rope clutch and horn.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/sample/Rope_Clutch_Test.html

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Try looking at Spinlock PXR Camcleats.Replaced my jib cleats on Hunter 23.5.works great. Don,t use winch to adjust jib ever.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
D:

I do not know what type of clutches you may be looking at but you can get very high quality single clutchs for under $50.

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=36

Or if you want to spend even less you can get jam cleats for about $20.

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=88

Some of this depends on your layout and space that you have available.

Garhauer has high quality products at very reasonable pricing. I think most of their products come with a 10 year warranty.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Cam cleats are nice in that its a one handed release. Stoppers are basically two handed (One for the stopper and one for the line). I have stoppers and one is for the mainsheet. It is a boat rule that the stopper be open and the sheet on the self tailer. I would use a cam cleat there but it's a clean installation that I don't really want to change it.
Horn cleats aren't so bad - I did have a crew member puncture her leg on one. That was a trip to the ER. We use several wraps without a bend and I can't remember ever having a line I couldn't release and it can usually be one handed.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
My PO on the Mac25 had horned cleats that were tapered horned/jam clears. You onlyhad to give them a wrap or two and the jammed the rope. To release I only had to flick a loop in the opposite direction and pull, I could usually do that from the opposite side of the cockpit. To set I still had to reach over which I do not like to do. I would also pull the sheet across the cockpit and tie off on the cleat that was behind me, I would do that if it was really hairy out. I finally installed what is there now.
I single sail a lot and it is easier using a cam cleat mounted on a swivel with a fairlead. I usually sail with a genoa and have never had difficulty pulling the sheets taught enough. You can always pinch a little or fall off to make it even easier.
Here is a picture of my setup.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
Install “winchers” on your winches. This is a clean option as they convert your winches to self tailers, are quick release and avoids the need to cleat them off. A friend of mine was going to spend thousands of $$ for new self tailing jib sheet winches on his 36 footer when I suggested winchers for $100 a pair. He installed the winchers and with the $$ saved he can now afford a dodger.

I would not use clutches for sail sheets. For the gib sheet I have self tailing winches. For my main sheet and traveler lines I installed Harkin cam cleats with a top cover piece. I have winchers on my cabin winches to make them self tailers for my halyards, reef lines, outhaul, downhaul and vang.

The attached photo shows the “winchers” on the cabin winches. The other photo shows the main sheet (red tracer blue) cam cleat.

Attachments

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
What type of cleat

Personally I would never use a rope clutch to secure a jib/genoa sheet. When you cast off the sheet it may not run through the rope clutch without getting fouled. I simple twist in the sheet will foul it for sure. Too much potential for a dangerous situation to develop, especially for a small boat. I would prefer a cam cleat because once the sheet if free of the cams, the sheet can run freely. Self tailing winches are great if money was not an issue.

Another option is a cleat similar to the ones that C&C designed for their classic models. It allows you to quickly secure a sheet with one half a turn around the cleat. The sheet gets secured between the underside of the cleat and your deck. I have them on my C&C 29 and I know they were used on many of their smaller and larger models as well. Here is a link to that item which is sold through South Shore Yachts. No affiliation whatsoever. I think there are other manufacturers that make a similar item but can't recall their name.
http://southshoreyachts.com/castings_cleats.html
It's the upper left hand photo in the group of six photos.

Nov 24, 2009
Catalina C-30 Lake Ray Hubbard
Winchers

I recommend the winchers also. I used them on my C-27 and on the C-30 that I have now and I have been very happy. But A $100. a pair sounded a bit high. I checked my old 2009 West Marine catalog and they were listed for $45. a pair. At that price you can try them and if you don't like them you are not out very much.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I have a half dozen of these on my Islander and am completely satisfied with them.

WEST MARINE
European Jam Cleat

$6.49
[ { "catentry_id" : "99300", "Attributes" : { } } ]
+ Add to Cart

Nov 9, 2008
Wow! It looks like the jam cleats are exactly what I'm looking for and at a cost that I can afford! Thanks for all the input.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Wow! It looks like the jam cleats are exactly what I'm looking for and at a cost that I can afford! Thanks for all the input.
I've been using large open clam cleats behind my winches for years and I love them. Some of the guys in my club have installed them on their boats. Outside of that, I like the set up that Ross has for snubbing off the sheets.

Attachments

Nov 9, 2008
Try looking at Spinlock PXR Camcleats.Replaced my jib cleats on Hunter 23.5.works great. Don,t use winch to adjust jib ever.

Forgive my ingorance but why wouldn't you adjsut a jib sheet with a winch? I wrap the sheet arround a couple of times and put my back into it. Seems to work pretty well. Then I cleat it off while wrapped around the winch. Is this wrong?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Forgive my ingorance but why wouldn't you adjsut a jib sheet with a winch? I wrap the sheet arround a couple of times and put my back into it. Seems to work pretty well. Then I cleat it off while wrapped around the winch. Is this wrong?
That works on a tack on my 30 if I time it well. I use the winch if I stay on the same tack and get closer to the wind. Up to about ten knots wind the winch is just a nice snubbing post.

Sep 25, 2008
Harpoon 5.2 Honolulu, HI
I had these little cam cleats on my O'Day 23 and 26. They worked great. But you still want to give a few wraps around the winch. You don't want to have any type of device that will require putting the sheet through a hole, as has been mentioned earlier, the line can foul when you tack or if you need to dump it in a hurry.
I'd recommend cam cleats over jam cleats, as it seems to me like the cam cleats grip the rope quicker and easier. They cost a little more, but not much.
In my experience looking for self-tailers on Ebay is a waste of time -- they are always very expensive.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Before you go spending any money, I'm certain your 'horn' cleats are actually a jam type. That is, the underside of the horn tapers up to the end. Rather than do the loopty-loo overhand hitch on the horn, take three clockwise turns around the base of the cleat and snub. These cleats were designed for this use. Easy to snub, easy to release.

Sep 27, 2010
Lancer 28 Ventura, CA
My Lancer 28 also had horn cleats. I tried cam cleats. They worked well and were easy to use, until things got hairy. The cam cleats slipped if not used with the winch. I changed back to horn cleats with four bolts and fender washer under the deck. I think you should be prepared for the hairy times. Maybe cleats with shorter horns will be faster to tack.

Status
Not open for further replies.