What to wear offshore (NE US) end of May?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I'm planning to be offshore of the Northeast US on a sail that will involve several overnight watches in the next few weeks. Given the Spring water temps and changeable weather; I'm planning to bring polar fleece sweat pants, 2 fleece sweatshirts, gloves and knit cap to wear under my foul weather gear. I'm wondering if the layers of fleece are enough -- or if I should bring a winter weight coat. (Space is limited and I'd rather not pack the bulk).
I'd welcome suggestions that would maximize warmth and minimize bulk.

wizoc

Apr 12, 2018
Catalina 425 Newp Rt
Where in the Northeast? There is a big difference between NY and Maine. I would eliminate one of the fleeces and add a winter weight capilene turtleneck.

Jun 14, 2010
Where in the Northeast? There is a big difference between NY and Maine. I would eliminate one of the fleeces and add a winter weight capilene turtleneck.
Southern New England, and south/southwest of Long Island

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Is this a race, delivery, or cruise? Ask the regular crew? Local knowledge and experience is always good.

Jun 14, 2010
I'm seeking additional views about this, @Jackdaw . The weather is the weather, and hard to predict. Thanks for all replies.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm seeking additional views about this, @Jackdaw . The weather is the weather, and hard to predict. Thanks for all replies.
Fair enough. I always look at the water temperature in the area. No matter what the daytime temperature is going to be, the nighttime air temperature will be the water temperature. On Lake superior and other cool places, I always bring my Gill winter Sailing jacket. It works very well as an outer layer in Fair weather, and underneath an offshore foulie jacket it’ll keep you warm below freezing. The key is the outer layer, it must keep you dry, and KEEP THE WIND OFF YOU.
3054680D-BBE7-45BE-8405-26C9C2218182.jpeg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The Polartec three-layer approach has worked well for us, particularly my wife, here in CA. A fleece base layer; then a warm layer shirt which could be fleece, flannel or wool, then a protective layer (wind/water) that keeps you dry. Wife uses a Musto jacket for protection. Wife has smart-wool socks, Norwegian gloves, wool beanie cap, and cashmere wool neck scarf. I haven't needed quite that much, but I do wear cotton sweat pants (Everlast) under my Gruden bibs; otherwise, cargo pants & a Henri Lloyd jumper over cotton LS T-shirt and LS top shirt. Leather gloves, lined. Cashmere scarf when needed. It might be helpful to have some heat device below or in the cockpit.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
On cold water, Cotton Kills. It holds moisture and that sucks heat off the body. Hypothermia is a constant risk. Staying warm on the water has gotten much easier, lighter and less expensive. Three layers: 1. synthetic (polypropylene) or silk long underwear next to the skin. 2. Fleece middle layer. Make sure you have fleece pants. Patagonia make a good expedition weight fleece for serious cold, but often a cheap Columbia fleece shirt will do the job. 3. Wind and watertight shell (tops and bottoms) with a net liner that provides air flow. Most quality foul weather sets meet this requirement.

I am a big fan of the French Salopette which are really just bib pants; keeps the core warm and you can strip off your jacket and still get most of the warmth of a full suit.

At the end of the day and in the warmth of the cabin I switch over to cotton everything for comfort and better fire resistance. Go light, the synthetic stuff is easily rinsed, dried and re-worn. My sea bag is half the weight and volume of the old days of quilted insulation, wool and rubber foulies.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I like polypropylene base layers, there are some great ones with merino wool mixed in. They wick moisture but keep you warm and pack small. Something like this Helly Hansen shirt, but also get long johns. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-808/Lifa-Merino-Crew-Long-Sleeve. Then layer up with fleece, jacket, gloves, hat. Oh, get a fleece hat, knit hats let the wind through too much. There are some good offshore sailing gloves but for a better price, pick up some warm work gloves. Outdoor stores like Bass Pro have good gloves, hats, and a decent selection of base layers.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Stay warm. Nothing fouls your brain like being cold.
Here in the NW when solo sailing and the weather is foul, I utilize a dry suit with fleece layer underneath.
To start I have found the Heat 32 Degree base layers to be very comfortable and affordable.
Top that with a long sleeve REI fleece sometimes with my fleece bibs I bought for winter time fly fishing.

Then a
  1. water proof shell jacket or...
  2. OceanRodeo Heat Dry suit. https://oceanrodeo.com/product/heat/ Love the flexibility and light weight of the suit. Suitable for winter solo sailing. or...
  3. The West Marine Foulies.
    Or the NW Mummy Suit as @JamesG161 likes to call it. When facing squalls.
Warm, dry and awake are the goals.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Great advice above, but a SERIOUS second to @Gunni and @jssailem 's comments about long-johns (silk or synthetic). They don't take up much room and significantly boost your warmth by adding a full layer to your rig. Experience has shown it is very difficult to buy a set of long underwear at sea that can be had in any big box store or Amazon for $20 each.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
On cold water, Cotton Kills.
Well, I haven't died or passed out yet from using it here in CA. Of course, the water temp in So Cal is only in the low to mid-60's most of the time; not all that cold. Not to make light of your comment, however. I'm just much less sensitive to cold conditions than most folks I go with onto the water. I can say one trip departing Woods Hole one March with flurries about; my So Cal, mostly cotton, garbs did not really do the trick for me. Very cold wind.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Sthrn CA water temps in degrees F.

Santa Barbara
J F M A M J J A S O N D
56 57 57 58 60 62 63 65 64 62 60 57

Ventura
J F M A M J J A S O N D
55 57 58 59 61 64 65 67 65 62 60 56

Catalina Island
J F M A M J J A S O N D
58 57 58 59 62 64 67 70 68 66 63 60

Santa Monica
J F M A M J J A S O N D
57 57 58 59 61 65 67 68 66 63 61 59

Newport Beach
J F M A M J J A S O N D
58 60 60 61 64 66 69 69 68 65 64 61

San Diego (Scripps Pier)

J F M A M J J A S O N D
58 57 58 60 63 65 67 68 66 63 61 59

San Diego (San Diego Bay)

J F M A M J J A S O N D
59 60 62 64 67 70 71 72 70 68 65 60

Oct 22, 2014
Man KG... That is almost bath tub water. Long time ago I remember the Scripps Pier temps. Me with a surfboard and wearing a shorty. Just to keep the core and the boys warm while I played in the surf.

Oct 22, 2014
That is why we kept a fire going on the beach... Off the Del Coronado north of the rocks. 1.5 blocks from our High School home.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The ocean temps off NY/Jersey, May through June, are reported to range low 50's to mid 60's. Brrrr!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The expression "Cotton kills" comes from getting wet. Cotton is a good insulator when dry but is useless once it gets wet. In wet conditions, I don't want cotton next to my skin. Wool is the original wet weather insulator but fleece and polypropylene are great synthetics. Fleece doesn't breath as well so polypropylene/wool blends are best for base layers to wick away moisture.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If the cotton clothing gets wet or damp from perspiration, and the perspiration cannot evaporate, then I don't expect that just because it's wet or damp means you're going to cool down:what:. My cotton (actually 80% cotton) sweat pants under the Gruden bibs, if wet or damp from perspiration, cannot evaporate it easily, etc. But if outside the bibs, exposed to the usually cold, dry wind, then YES!; I would get cold very quickly in the wet or damp cotton sweat pants. :yikes: Aside, I've found it much more comfortable to wear the sweats under the bibs, than to wear jeans or other types of cotton pants under the bibs, etc.

Last edited: