What to Protector to use after a thorough dinghy cleaning

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
My Achilles Hypalon Dinghy needed a real good cleaning. It was awful. Mainly due to deflating it, folding it in thirds so I can get it into the trunk of my car. What happens is the black bottom paint stains it when it is rolled up for that brief 20 minute ride home.
I used Magic Eraser, which worked okay alone. Then dipped it in Super Clean Purple.
That worked a little better.
The best was with the Magic Eraser mixed with Zep Purple cleaner. Now it looks “like“ new but is clean.
Which UV protector, if any, do you use to help preserve the fabric?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Unfortunately, you abraded off the surface layer of the fabric with Magic Erasor and chemically attacked the fabric with your Zep. It’s aging will be accelerated by your treatment. It’ll start chalking now and there’s nothing you can do about it but clean it with soap and water when it gets too bad. Some people will likely post that 303 UV Protector will help. I doubt it.
You might try something made for dinghy cleaning such as Star Brite dinghy cleaner and protectant Amazon.com

Sep 26, 2008
. Thats not what I wanted to hear at all!
But in my defense, it was chalking a bit now and it had to be cleaned, somehow, some way. You just could not sit on it without ruining your clothes.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I don't use Magic Eraser. I tried it and was not satisfied with the effort and results. I use LA Awesome concentrated general purpose cleaner from the Dollar Store.

I protect it with 303 Protectant. The 303 needs to be reapplied periodically.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Out of curiosity, how old is your Hypalon Achilles?

Sep 26, 2008
It’s a 2018, LEX 96 model. Good boat, cheap floor though.
As a side note, I was in Boston yesterday at the Harbor Hotel Wharf. Had a wedding to attend. As I was walking around the wharf there was a guy cleaning the dirtiest, ugliest dinghy I have ever seen. And it was coming out almost like new. All he was using was a rag, a hose and a bottle of stuff.
You know I just had to go over and talk to him, I didn’t care that he was splashing stuff all over the place, it didn’t matter. Told him what I had and what I did to clean the paint and grime off it.
He was using Aurora Speed Cleaner for dinghies. He had a little left in a bottle, handed it to me and said try it, it works.
It does!
I really hope I didn’t ruin my dinghy by my cleaning, only time will tell.
Lesson Learned.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
It’s a 2018, LEX 96 model. Good boat, cheap floor though.

He was using Aurora Speed Cleaner for dinghies. He had a little left in a bottle, handed it to me and said try it, it works.
It does!
I have the same Achilles dinghy as you except mine is a 2006. The floor is garbage- I fought leaks for years and tried several "fixes" with no joy. Finally traded a friend for his wooden floors. Much better.
I have used the Aurora products in the past. They all work very good, but their price is insane. $38 for a 16oz bottle with shipping from Amazon.
IMHO your dinghy will be fine after using the Magic Eraser. Don't worry.

Sep 26, 2008
Thanks Rich for the words of encouragement. Makes my heart fell much better.
Since I’m not in the market for a small truck or trailer, once the dinghy is dried from washing it and ready to roll again I‘m going to wrap it in a drop cloth, then, roll it.
Let the cloth take the black bottom paint.

Sep 26, 2008
Sorry, hit the button to fast.
My Achilles came with a 3/8” thick - 4 Section - Wooden Floor. Which just did not last.
I made a new 3 section floor using 1/2” Marine Plywood and coated it with TotalBoat Penetrating Epoxy and TotalBoat Primer Coat.
It shows no sign of delaminating or paint peeling. And the primer coat gave me a split resistant grip.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I made a new 3 section floor using 1/2” Marine Plywood and coated it with TotalBoat Penetrating Epoxy and TotalBoat Primer Coat.
It shows no sign of delaminating or paint peeling. And the primer coat gave me a split resistant grip.
The wooden floor I received in trade for my leaky inflatable floor has seen better days. I plan on doing exactly what you have done- making a new floor over the winter, except I will build with the original 3/8" so that the side stiffeners and section connectors will still fit.
Where did you source the plywood?

Sep 26, 2008
Rich,
Home Depot in Westerly, RI. That was the only place that had Marine Grade Plywood last year, in RI, could be different this year. Very pricey, if I remember correctly, about $145 (4x8 sheet). But considerably less than the $500+ replacement floor.
I could not find a sheet of 3/8” anywhere. 1/4” was much to thin.
I went with the 1/2” as the extra 1/8” didn’t add any significant weight issues to the boat and gave me a floor with less give. My wife has a knee issue and that flexibility won’t do us any favors.
I cut the panels just a little bit shorter on the sides to ease placement and removal (the original floor is really snug), but still enough under the sides to hold it in firm.
I routed out and feathered in the first layer of the sheet edges ( about 1 inch wide) to fit the stiffeners, as you stated. This let me use them.
With the Slow Cure Penetrating Epoxy I used, it allowed it to penetrate into the wood and seal all the edges tight.
The key I believe, is the marine grade plywood and penetrating epoxies to a lasting secure footing floor.

• Helpful