What to expect as a seller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Catalina 22 Alameda
I am selling a Catalina 22. Is it unreasonable for me to not want to take the boat out for test sails with perspective buyers?

One of the reasons I'm selling is that I had a pretty close call on a different boat in the Sf bay a few months ago. I have kinda lost my nerve as a sailor since.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I wouldn't do it.....tell them why, only if they ask. You can suggest the buyer put a "sea trial" contingency in the purchase agreement... or.... you could list the boat with a broker, let him handle the questions.

Oct 29, 2008
Montgomery 17 Dothan, Al
I wouldn't expect to take a C22 on any sea trials. Seems to me that sea trials are more common on larger boats, not trailerable ones.

I have gone through a few trailerable boats and one larger boat (Watkins 29). The 29' is the only one I ever took on a sea trial.

I'd be surprised if the buyers even mentioned it.

Mar 28, 2010
Catalina C320 Washington, NC
I sold my C22 MkII without a sea trial without any problem. Actually, on previous boats, I sometimes found that the request for a sea trial was only a sneaky way to get a free day on the water sailing (usually with the "buyer's" friends or their kids.) Most people buying that size boat wouldn't know whether it was a good sailing boat or poor after the sea trial, in my opinion. And those who were knowledgeable about sailing, typically already know the boat's sailing characteristics and reputation. If they want to see how everything goes together, you can always rig the mast and sails on the trailer. On larger boats, systems are more complex and some can only be checked on the water, so such a sail trial request is more reasonable.

StanFM

Jun 26, 2012
S2 7.3 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Since I was a newbie (still am) when I bought my C22, as many buyers are, I really appreciated the seller being willing to launch and demo the boat. We didn't actually sail, but he walked through all the procedures of the keel, rudder, motor, etc. We confirmed the leaks he stated. I would say you are not obligated to do anything, but if the buyer is green, he/she would appreciate you going over the details of launching/operating the boat at least. Sorry for your close call!

Stan

Mar 8, 2012
Catalina 22 trailer sailor
When I got to my boat in Gloucester, VA, I was tickled to death that it was floating, the mast and boom were up and rigged and there were 3 full sailbags and one folded main. I saw no delamination and it had several accessories such as handpumps, jib pole, anchor and anchorline, and a few other items. After seeing the trailer which appeared in good traveling condition, I gladly forked over $1000 and received both titles instantaneously. The PO helped me load the boat on a trailer and lower the mast and secure it. No trial needed.

Mar 8, 2012
Catalina 22 trailer sailor
It's amazing to me how much new wiring, used distribution panel, new drain plumbing and bilge pump, VHF radio and gas Magma grill does for the worth of a boat. It turned my hull into a weekend cruiser. Now if I could just save up enough money to get an outboard, I'll be all set. Craigslist has been a big big friend of mine for used boating items. It's take a rich mans sport and turned it into a poor man's retreat.

Jan 8, 2013
Catalina 22 Alameda
Thank you to everyone for all the comments.
I am showing the boat to a few people in the morning. With the amount of enthusiasm from the perspective buyers I will be very surprised if there are no takers. Only one person even asked about taking it out. From their use or rather misuse of sailing jargon, I quickly realized they were just looking for a free day on the bay.
I do look forward to another boat someday. Just in different times and different conditions. Maybe I'll go back to lasers on the flooded quarry. You know, in those elusive spare weekends that I hear so much about.
Thanks again for the input and the online hospitality.

Status
Not open for further replies.