What to do with old pre-mix (fuel)?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
We bought a Mac 26C two years ago. I was way pessimistic about fuel consumption and way optimistic about how much we'd sail. (I injured myself last summer and so missed almost the entire season.) Long story short: I mixed a bunch of fuel and oil the first summer and I still have about two gallons left. I don't want to use it in the motor because I feel it's just too old. The only other two-stroke device I own is a weed whacker and it would take centuries to burn up two gallons with that. Any creative suggestions how to get rid of this stuff?

Thing I've thought of so far:
  • Advertise "Arsonist Wanted" on Craigslist and give it to whoever shows up.
  • Gift it to that annoying kid in my neighbourhood with the two-stroke motorized skateboard.
  • Save it until Guy Fawkes Day and invite all my British friends over for a celebration.
Any other ideas?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
  • Use it as weed killer ? :yikes:
  • Cut your neighbourhood yards with the weed wacker ?
  • Find an unresponsive Ford vehicle and....
  • Give it to the guys across the road from me, who sit in their garage revving their new Harleys hoping it increases their manhood ?

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Among other things, I take my crusty old fuel to my county landfill. They have an outstanding recycling program. Or maybe you have a hornets nest in the ground on your property you'd like to dispatch...

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Great suggestions!

In all seriousness, my local landfill won't take it but a little online investigation revealed a place not too far away that will take under 25 gallons of oil-gasoline mix.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
How much gas will you burn driving to recycle this gas?

Is it worth considering a bonfire?

Jan 19, 2010
... and the process of refining waste gas also consumes energy... just saying ... 2gallons might not be worth saving is you have to drive far

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
How much gas will you burn driving to recycle this gas?

Is it worth considering a bonfire?
It'll only take an eighth of a gallon for the round trip. If it were less to burn or further to the depot I probably would just burn it, but at that ratio it seems a bad idea. Plus, I already had a neighbour call the fire department on me for burning some old weeds in my back yard. Don't really need that again.

Tedd

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I like the 4th idea. Lots of pyro fun can be excused under the guise of patriotism.

That said, with a grumpy nervous nelly neighbour, it is likely not an option.

You could keep it in a spare fuel jug and use it as a solvent in an open space. My buddy does that. Works very well as long as you wear rubber gloves and keep in mind how dangerous it can be in vapour form.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I used to have a yard with chain link fence. I used suspect oil/gas/? to pour along the bottom of the fence to kill the grass.

Jan 22, 2008
@Ron20324 that's just what you need - more petroleum in the groundwater. :banghead::badbad:
This was back in the 60/70s, <100 feet of fence. Besides, it all came out of the ground anyway. And the story was the developement was built on a landfill, and once I was told that, it justified the terraced topography.

Jan 22, 2008
This was back in the 60/70s, <100 feet of fence. Besides, it all came out of the ground anyway. And the story was the MD developement was built on a landfill (of Washington, D.C. trash), and once I was told that, it justified the terraced topography. Now, I have 5 oil changes worth of oil waiting to go to the county dump place.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On our recent trip to Belize, our outboard for the dinghy was supplied with marginal fuel. With the engine missing we suspected water contamination. I took it to the fuel dock and replaced the fuel with fresh. I spoke with the local and he said sure we can take care of that old fuel... He grabbed the tank. Headed back around a building and reappeared with a smile and an empty tank. I smiled and asked no questions. The fresh fuel helped to get us too and from the boat as we visited the many islands or drove through storm squalls on our return to the boat after a dinner ashore. Happily the engine got us about during our visit.

Jan 19, 2010
On our recent trip to Belize, our outboard for the dinghy was supplied with marginal fuel. With the engine missing we suspected water contamination. I took it to the fuel dock and replaced the fuel with fresh. I spoke with the local and he said sure we can take care of that old fuel... He grabbed the tank. Headed back around a building and reappeared with a smile and an empty tank. I smiled and asked no questions. The fresh fuel helped to get us too and from the boat as we visited the many islands or drove through storm squalls on our return to the boat after a dinner ashore. Happily the engine got us about during our visit.
I have visited Belize only once and it was a very brief visit. It is on my bucket list once I retire. I would love to see a thread of your trip there. Photos?