What to do with all the spare halyards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2005
Catalina C-30TMBS Harpswell, ME
OK, I bought my 1986 C-30 last fall while it was already on jackstands in the former owners yard. I took many photos to look at over the winter. Anyway, I noticed that there was a main halyard, 2 headsail halyards and a spinnaker halyard. As I intend to use the main and one jib halyard most of the time, where do I place all the spare halyard ends and keep them out of the way? Do I attach them to the lifeline, the shrouds, or what? On my previous boat, a pearson 28, I only had the main and jib halyards to contend with, and while sailing, nothing else to bother with. Thanks for some ideas...

S

stevelrose

Shroud cleat

Use a shroud cleat. It keeps the halyard away from the mast to keep it from slapping against the mast in the wind.

Mar 21, 2006
- - San Francisco
Bring them forward

Or, to really get them out of the way, bring them forward to the pulpit. My '88 Mark II has some places on the pulpit rail that are perfect for attaching shackles. On my previous boat, I attached a D-ring to the rail with a hose clamp to make an attachment point. Make sure there's no interference with your furler operation, forestay, or other halyards.

Nov 1, 2005
Catalina C-30TMBS Harpswell, ME
Thanks!

Seems like I'll have to just find a convenient place to place the extras. I'll probably clip the spare jib halyard to a shroud cleat and the spinnaker halyard to the bow pulpit somewhere. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll make a final decision once the mast is stepped this Spring and I see where the halyards are in relation to the shrouds and stays...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
keeping you boat "squared away"

Keeping your deck and cockpit in order is an important aspect of yachting. If your halyards are not led back to the cockpit, you should have cleats on the mast on which to keep them coiled and hanked. There will be plenty of room because there's only two. If they are led aft then use organizer hooks or pockets. The only ones that will be long are the ones hoisting the sails and you need those handy. The unused ones will have very short tails and are easy to manage. I keep my spare halyard clipped to a ring on the bow pulpit unless I'm going to fly the spinnaker, then it'll be moved back to the mast out of the way. The spinnaker halyard is always clipped to the mast. As I said, the tails are short because the shackle end is down near the deck, rather than at the top of the mast holding up the sail. Believe me, it will not be a problem. The jib sheets will be more of a nuisance because you are more active with them. You must get in the practice of cleaning up your lines whenever they are used. So admonish your crew to coil and cleat the halyards as soon as the sails are hoisted and to keep the sheets neat after every tack. Always keep your active lines close at hand and ready for action. Have the lazy sheet wrapped on the winch ready for the next tack. Likewise, have the active sheet tail flaked and ready for quick dispersal should you have to quickly throw it off for a sudden change of direction. Common courtesy in the marina is to secure the halyards so they won't slap the mast and disturb others. My solution is to clip the main halyard to the back of the boom to keep it away from the mast. My jib halyards are clipped to the bow pulpit and my spinnaker halyard, which is external, is just wrapped around the spreaders. I used to use bungees to pull them away from the mast, but this way is easier for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.