What to do once you know you've screwed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
One of the things that I love about this forum is the variety of experiences that I see posted here, that I can learn from!

This past August, we were leaving Roche Harbor on San Juan Island and had a long day ahead of us as we headed for Deceptioin Pass and a current window which is extremely narrow... About 30 - 45 minutes into our day, I realized that I'd been so focused on the currents at Deception Pass, that I'd completely forgotten to review the currents just outside of Roche in the brief but not insignificant Spieden Channel. We sat, and watched the same meadow on Spieden Island for more than 20 minutes before finally making way to our most important destination of the day. Ultimately, we did get to Deception Pass in time for our current window (but not when I'd planned, and ONLY because I HAD planned for a leisurely lunch ahead of slack current). But my initial oversight had cost us at least 45 minutes at the start of our day. And, we never did have that leisurely lunch that day...

What adjustments have you made, once you realized that you'd made a completely avoidable mistake?

Apr 23, 2012
Hunter 430 Kemah
Pray,when that does not work,pray harder,if that does not work,pray again,then believe. But on the same thought,last year me and my wife was sitting below the bridge at Deception Pass watching boats go thru and I told her I could never imaging a sailboat going thru, or would want to take one thru. Did you take it thru?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
One of the things that I love about this forum is the variety of experiences that I see posted here, that I can learn from!

This past August, we were leaving Roche Harbor on San Juan Island and had a long day ahead of us as we headed for Deceptioin Pass and a current window which is extremely narrow... About 30 - 45 minutes into our day, I realized that I'd been so focused on the currents at Deception Pass, that I'd completely forgotten to review the currents just outside of Roche in the brief but not insignificant Spieden Channel. We sat, and watched the same meadow on Spieden Island for more than 20 minutes before finally making way to our most important destination of the day. Ultimately, we did get to Deception Pass in time for our current window (but not when I'd planned, and ONLY because I HAD planned for a leisurely lunch ahead of slack current). But my initial oversight had cost us at least 45 minutes at the start of our day. And, we never did have that leisurely lunch that day...

What adjustments have you made, once you realized that you'd made a completely avoidable mistake?
we kinda did the same thing going north in president channel.... we left jones island on the motor for sucia and I was messing about doing boat chores and getting the boat in better order while Rochelle kept us in the middle of the channel.... after two hours of getting the boat all how i wanted it, i looked up and noticed we had made absolutely no progress since i let her take the tiller....
it was than i noticed all the power boats hugging the orcas island shoreline and realized the current must be less over there.... we changed course and it took awhile to get there but found my assumption to be correct. so we hugged the shoreline and made good speed northward while the current swept by quickly southward a little further off shore.... we lost about 3.5 hours due to not paying attention to proper planning and not keeping an eye on the distant surroundings...

in most cases the current is slower near the shore, but it can also be stronger in some places, such as coming south down san juan channel and hugging the san juan island shore in a north bound current.... its an easy passage til you get to rounding the point into friday harbor. then its nearly impassible.... you have to cross the current sideways while you lose ground to get outside the fast flowing water that is shearing off the point of the island, so you can buck the main current to get in to the harbor....

and we wont even talk about bucking the current at the north end of cypress island on an outgoing tide, in a boat that makes about 6kts...

that whole area has some amazingly strong currents in some places and the tides and currents book i have,(Capt. Jacks) has minimal information about the area.
it shows the general direction of flow in the major channels during flood or ebb, but does not do a good job of showing the current flow around the head or tail of the island.... or in between the smaller islands.... a lot of the main passage channels for smaller craft, we have to guess at the direction of the current because it isnt a main shipping channel and doesnt show in the book.

if anyone knows of a chart with more intimate local knowledge of the flood and ebb currents, I would be highly interested in getting one...

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
You can't think of everything. No one can, but what you can do is try to have an alternate plan ready just in case your first plan fails.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Be mentally willing to throw out a schedule.... Spring of 2012, I took my kids on a three day weekend sail to Ocracoke island. Sunday morning I had planned to leave by 5:00AM so I could sail back to the trailer (5 hours) and drive home (5 hours) in time for the kids to make bedtime (school the next morning). Woke up to pea soup fog. I initially tried to stick to my original schedule but... I got so disoriented in the fog...I eventually went back to the harbor and had to roll with it and make a new plan. Anyway, that was pivotal day for me... Our new family sailing mantra is "it is okay to have a plan but not to have a schedule"

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
We sail weekends according to what we find on NOAA. This, of course, is next ti futile since they are accurate about 30% of the time. The Weather Channel is better but with no marine report. That said, half the time out. we're fighting wind, weather, current and a setting sun. We need to get back, out of the water before the sun sets because unstepping a mast in the dark is not fun and a bit dangerous. SO, lots of words to say "Keep the iron genny in good repair".

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i found sailing to a set schedule to be worse than deadly. stuff happens. things change.
must be able to go with that.
i generally find sail flow and passage weather to be best for sailing adventures.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
But on the same thought,last year me and my wife was sitting below the bridge at Deception Pass watching boats go thru and I told her I could never imaging a sailboat going thru, or would want to take one thru. Did you take it thru?
Yes, we took it through! There were about four sailboats who went through at about the same time. We all spent some time orbiting near the entrance, waiting for slack. There were plenty of eddies along the way, but the overall current was not as strong as I'd expected, even though we went through about 15 minutes or so earlier that I'd planned.

One of the great tools that I found in planning for the trip, and especially for the trip through Deception Pass as an animated current link... Which for some reason is not working the same right now. The NOAA site has a message about being different because of being part of the shutdown, and the browser plugin is from a developer called Silverlight (now owned by Microsoft), so who know what's changed in the last couple of months... I hope it works again when we plan for next year's trips. It made it very easy to visualize how far out of sync Deception Pass is in relation to the rest of the area.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Be mentally willing to throw out a schedule.... I got so disoriented in the fog...I eventually went back to the harbor and had to roll with it and make a new plan. Anyway, that was pivotal day for me... Our new family sailing mantra is "it is okay to have a plan but not to have a schedule"
So true! Especially about being mentally prepared to change your plan. That may mean kids missing school, you missing work, paying to keep the boat in place and traveling home via different means or whatever. Inconvenience and expense! All of these things are better than terrifying your family, friends, crew or yourself. Flexibility is the key.
The worst offenders are club cruisers. Something about the group anti-gestalt (The whole is not greater than the sum of it's parts. Or as a saying goes, "A boy is the woods is a boy. Two boys in the woods is half a boy etc.") that is pernicious. I now say "I'll meet you there" or "I'll get there when I do" or "Have a nice cruise." Then follow my own plan.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
One of my sailing buddies says, "Like always, our plans are written in jello."

hankz

Jun 18, 2012
Hunter 27 Ridge, MD
Take a Moment to Chill and Think Things Through

I think my past screwup situations became worse when I initially paniced and resultingly could not think straight enough to come up with some sort of improvised solution. At some point it occurred to me: The boat is probably not going to sink, so there's time to deal with the issue. For example, if the engine dies in a channel, there is this thing called the anchor. And, it is a SAIL boat, where it may be possible to use the sails to get into port. If we're aground, it's may not be at high tide, so drop the hook and have a beer. Etcetera. Oh, I just remembered: I do have a TOWING service, just a radio call or cell phone number away. My biggest enemy as a new sailor who just screwed up was "unfounded fear of the unknown."

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada

I'm with keeping your plans flexible and don't put so much pressure on yourself with such a tight schedule. Be willing to change destinations or arrive 45 minutes later and enjoy your lunch plans.

This past summer crossed Georgian Bay twice ( 8 - 10 hour sail ) we changed destinations on both occasions due to the wind directions. First crossing we actually changed up twice and headed to the original destination only an hour or so later.

It's sailing, it's fun, don't make it a stressful activity.

Nov 3, 2012
Hunter 37 Legend Marathon, FL
That just happened to us this past Friday. After a 8 hour sail through the C&D canal and in the Chesapeake, with 6nm left to the marina our diesel died (2nd time on this trip). We hoisted the main and sailed into the marina.

......And, it is a SAIL boat, where it may be possible to use the sails to get into port.

Attachments

Sep 22, 2013
Catalina 30 NOB Norfolk W5CDR
Something I learned many years ago while in the Navy: You always need a plan so you have something to deviate from!

I've done Deception Pass at 360kts (A6E!) :) & 3.60kts :D

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Shemadr, I moor in Oak Harbor so I pass through Deception Pass a couple of times on most cruises. I have about 6 hours out of 12 that I will go through. Anytime the current is going my way and less than 6 knots it is safe to pass. When going through in stronger currents, you will want to stay to the north side of the main channel to avoid the eddies on the south side. When lining up on the bridge I divide the channel into thirds and put myself in the northern 1/3 line. Avoid going south of mid-span and you will have no problems. I have gone through in currents as high s 7.5 with complete safety but wouldn't recommend it for the uninitiated or faint of heart.:D

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Kajon409 no problem

Pray,when that does not work,pray harder,if that does not work,pray again,then believe. But on the same thought,last year me and my wife was sitting below the bridge at Deception Pass watching boats go thru and I told her I could never imaging a sailboat going thru, or would want to take one thru. Did you take it thru?
I've been through the pass several times and it isn't a problem at all if you time it with slack current. You can even go through with the current and it isn't too bad. The water is plenty deep and turbulence isn't too bad. This year I even had a tug and log raft follow me through.

On both sides of the pass are some great areas to drop the hook and wait for the clock. (Nice little bays on the north of the pass on the west side and south of the pass on the east side) All the local tide tables provide current tables for Deception Pass.

Ken

I wouldn't try it against the current unless you can get up on a plane and have good steering control. I've done it in a runabout and it was exciting.

Aug 27, 2013
Moody 346 Kenosha
I just experienced my first "engine failure in the middle of the channel" adventure about a week ago. Wind against me but a friendly power (former sail) boater laughing that, "everyone has a dead engine story!" towed us on in. Didn't get to eat my sandwich, but everyone else did! :D

Oct 23, 2007
Cape Dory 31 Mobjack Bay, Virginia
Thought you might be interested in seeing a picture of Deception Pass taken by my grandfather sometime around 1900!
http://adventurepx.blogspot.com/2013/10/deception-pass.html

...and regarding not planning ahead for currents, not too long ago I saw from the shore of Yorktown, VA a sailboat in mid-stream on the York River near the Coleman Bridge, on a full reach with winds at about 15kts, main and 110 Genoa tight, boat heeling, racing through the water.......and moving BACKWARD in the current! ....finally giving up and just turning around!..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.