What the heck is it called?

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
OK, I'm probably completely brain damaged on this one. I'm looking for the box that gets inset into the side of the cockpit where the engine gauges nad switches mount. I know I've seen them for sale somewhere but I'm drawing a blank and can't seem to find them anywhere.

Mar 30, 2013
That's what I was thinking too but the only thing I can find with that name is more of an open storage box type thing. ???

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Don't know if it is so much a box as it is a panel. I've seen engine panels mounted on several sailboats, but they were pretty much open in the back.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
But you can get a PVC "box" that covers the rear guts with notch-outs for wiring egress. Check Defender for sizes.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I got a lot of hits from this search filter: "marine instrument panel enclosure"
You can also try: "marine instrument panel"

Here as example:

Have fun.

Mar 30, 2013
And we have a winner.

I feel like such a derp but in my own defense I was pretty tired last night. :)

Jan 6, 2010
RK,

I would check with the your engine manufacturer for a panel box. I assume you will be keeping you control/gauges panel & looking to house this in a semi-water resistant panel enclosure.

My original panel was flush mounted down low in the cockpit with no weatherproof cover at all. When I repowered, I bought the manuf. box, panel & wiring harness. Your engine manuf. hopefully has a box sized for your existing panel.

CR

Mar 30, 2013
Captnron, good call. As it happens the hint Joe supplied led me to Moyer Marine. Coincidently the boat I'm trying to buy has an Atomic 4.
Serendipity and all that stuff ya know. :)

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
I'm working on a new instrument panel as we speak (Atomic 4 engine too) using the same Moyer panel recess. Hard to see in the previously posted picture but the the bottom ledge of the recess is sloped downward so water doesn't puddle in there like mine currently does.

Here's is a cut and paste picture of what I'm doing as an example of what the recess can accommodate. I love the 240° sweep aircraft gauges. No more keyswitch either, all switches booted.

Attachments

Mar 30, 2013
That looks pretty slick. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.