What the h@ll causes this?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
or like the original poster and 99% of the boating public is completely confused by DSC radio technology.
Sad to say I don't know a lot about DSC. I get the fact that it will end out position data in an SOS situation, but the "Calling" features are confusing to me .

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks for the education Calif. Ted...

Lots of good info. I will do more investigation, but save me (and all of the rest of the DSC-phones and tell me how to "answer" the phone... If someone is calling me, how to I respond ?

I find the manual amusing.....

LL position call alert....Friendly 5-tone ring sequence (press any key to cancel)
WX alert/SAME alert ....Ear-catching multi-tone sequence
ROUTINE call alert....Friendly 5-tone ring sequence (press any key to cancel)

So, from the description, I am guessing it is a WX ALERT /SAME ALERT....because I certainly find the tone "friendly".

Thanks to all for the information and help.

Greg

Friendly 5-tone ring sequence (press any key to cancel)

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
If it's not pertinent "Press any key", if it's someone with your number or an emergency there should be the position and channel info on the display.
And I guess you do need to insure the radio "knows" where it is, when you said "AIS DSC" I was assuming a fully functioning system. Either the radio has GPS built in or gets the data from a chartplotter, in the radio menu should be an option to display position. If the radio has no source of position data it can't send a position, who installed the radio ? You could always look in the back and see how many wires are connected.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sad to say I don't know a lot about DSC. I get the fact that it will end out position data in an SOS situation, but the "Calling" features are confusing to me .

Greg
READ THIS : http://www.vhf-dsc.info/what.html
DSC is a paging system that uses data signals to automate the transmission and reception of calls on VHF marine radio channel 70.

A DSC message is a brief burst of digitised information transmitted from one station to alert another station or stations. The DSC message automatically indicates the identity of the calling station and the priority/purpose of the call.

Every DSC radio has a unique number, which you use to call other radios, just like a mobile phone. However, unlike mobile phones, DSC allows you to call every other radio in range at the same time if you are in trouble.

Following an alert by DSC message, communications are established between the transmitting station and the receiving station(s) by radiotelephone on a different channel to that used for the DSC call.
DSC is used by ship and coast stations for sending and relaying distress alerts and for other urgency and safety traffic. It can also be used for routine calls.

DSC also offers the ability to send and receive GPS positions - all DSC radios can be connected to a GPS receiver.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
To get the GPS input on our to work on our last boat (Lowrance LVR250 and Garmin GPSmap 441s) I had to ground the minus signal wire which is not shown on any diagrams I've seen.

Ken

Jan 7, 2011
To get the GPS input on our to work on our last boat (Lowrance LVR250 and Garmin GPSmap 441s) I had to ground the minus signal wire which is not shown on any diagrams I've seen.

Ken
Thanks Ken....I have a Garmin chart plotter also....so maybe that is the issue.

Thanks for the tip.

Greg

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
but the "Calling" features are confusing to me .
I note that at the time the DSC alarm is coming in, your VHF is set to Channel 9 which is a "CALLING" channel. Your radio is displaying but it has nothing to do with the alarm/DSC/MMSI/etc.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Thanks Ken....I have a Garmin chart plotter also....so maybe that is the issue.

Thanks for the tip.

Greg
Ken,

Are you using N2000 or the N0183 network between you Garmin Chartplotter and your DSC radio? Mine are connected by N2000network, but they don't seem to be communicating. I looked at the network this morning, and don't see a N2000 power input. Still trying to figure out how the PO had this set up.

Just curious what network you are using.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Just wanted to post a quick update...
I discovered that the PO never put a power supply cable into the MNEA2000 network. Not sure if he gave up or what.

So my Garmin 740 Chartplotter could not see my DCS/AIS VHF radio, and vice versa.

Put a power supply into the network and BOOM, both devices now see each other.

Still could not get the VHF to pull over the GPS data from the chart plotter, but was busy sailing so, will try again at the next opportunity. But at least the devices see each other now.

A small victory!

Greg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
MNEA2000 network
Amazing how that works!

By the way..
I had my Icom M504 DSC alert go off. The Audible alarm could be heard at least 100 feet away.:clap:

It triggered mine from more than 100 nm away, from a real distress (man had collapsed on board a 100' shrimp boat). See my story on...
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...emergency-response-great.178787/#post-1291518

But what you should do is record the time and your GPS coordinates, when and if you get a DSC alert.
The USCG may ask for anyone hearing the alert, position at the time, if they lose the DSC signal.

The MMSI really works too!
Jim...

May 20, 2016
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
The Answer is as it States on screen it is asking you to enter your Positon your Radio is not hooked to any Gps device so it's asking o Manually input the info

Jan 7, 2011
The Answer is as it States on screen it is asking you to enter your Positon your Radio is not hooked to any Gps device so it's asking o Manually input the info
Ok. Thanks. It seems somewhat random (timing), not when I turn the radio on. But I am getting close to solving the GPS feed from my chart plotter to the radio. I will see if that quiets the beast!

Greg