What stops the sliding hatch from opening too far / how to remove?

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I noticed a hole / crack in my pop-top yesterday. Right where the sliding companion way hatch would rest when in it's fully closed position. Not sure how it got there -- sometime over the winter, though the boat was covered (at least that's what I assume). Maybe it was there longer than I thought and water got in and froze.

I'd like to remove the sliding hatch portion of the pop-top to address it now before it goes into the water. But, I cannot seem to get the wooden sliders off. I've removed the screws from the inside, but neither side budges. I really don't want to make it worse by forcing them and tearing holes in the glass. It looks like the PO might have used caulk between the deck and slider seam, but even with that removed and a reasonable application of a thin-bladed putty knife and a hammer, I can't get any movement. Then I thought about trying to encourage the hatch to slide farther forward, but that didn't work either.

Anyone have any tips for removing the wooden sliders? I have a 1972 hull. Thanks!

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I decided to go with the unpleasant option. Used a vibrating saw to slice through the outer fiberglass of the companionway lid. It was filled with what looks like greenish foam, and was as I though, wet. I dug out all of the wet foam and am letting the exposed hole dry out in the sun. The plan is to saturate with un-thickened epoxy, add a layer of marine ply (I think I have some left from another project) and then more un-thickened and thickened epoxy until I can put the fiberglass cut-out back in place.

I know I didn't open enough up, but if I go nuts now, there's no way it's going in the water any time soon. This fall when I pull it, the plan is to remove the pop-top entirely, turn it upside down in the garage and address the entire thing from the bottom side in a relatively controlled environment. Until then, I'm hoping this will be good enough to shore up the area and stop any additional water from getting it. Also going to drill some weep holes into the pop-top from underneath to help encourage whatever moisture is left in there to come out. Again, just until I can address the whole thing.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I decided to go with the unpleasant option. Used a vibrating saw to slice through the outer fiberglass of the companionway lid. It was filled with what looks like greenish foam, and was as I though, wet. I dug out all of the wet foam and am letting the exposed hole dry out in the sun. The plan is to saturate with un-thickened epoxy, add a layer of marine ply (I think I have some left from another project) and then more un-thickened and thickened epoxy until I can put the fiberglass cut-out back in place.

I know I didn't open enough up, but if I go nuts now, there's no way it's going in the water any time soon. This fall when I pull it, the plan is to remove the pop-top entirely, turn it upside down in the garage and address the entire thing from the bottom side in a relatively controlled environment. Until then, I'm hoping this will be good enough to shore up the area and stop any additional water from getting it. Also going to drill some weep holes into the pop-top from underneath to help encourage whatever moisture is left in there to come out. Again, just until I can address the whole thing.
Wow that sounds like quite a previous modification. Typically there are just the screws from the underside that hold the sliding rails on. A little butyl tape around the screws and you should be good to go. I removed mine one winter just so I could refinish them. It is supposed to be an easier job. Hopefully you'll have a full summer of sailing before you have to go into repair mode.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Greenish foam is factory filler.
There are more than a few threads here about how to fix the hatch. Its a common problem.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Here's my thread from ages ago when I repaired the hatch on our c22