What sticks to plastic wheelpilot pedestal mounting bracket?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Hello,

I have a Simrad Wheelpilot that mounts to the steering pedestal with a plastic bracket. The bracket is deteriorating and I need to do something to beef it up.

I am considering applying some fiberglass strips to the problem areas but am unsure what to use to glue it down. I put some epoxy on it in a prior repair and that did not seem to stick well. So I'm concerned that if I just wet out the fiberglass strips with some epoxy they won't adhere well.

Not sure how to describe the bracket other than it is a hard black plastic. Any thoughts on a material that would stick to this?

Thanks,

Richard

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Can you buy a new one? If not, you may be surprised how affordable having a new one made at a machine shop can be. Take it in, have it quoted.
You could try roughing up the surface with some 80 grit paper to get a better bond but If the plastic is breaking down, it may not be worth fixing.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like G-Flex might be worth a try. I was hoping for something that would dry stiffer though.

I have done many searches and cant find a new or used one or even a whole used unit to part out.

I could try a machine shop but it is a molded part and I don't know if a new one could just be machined because of the internal structure. Might be worth a try though.

Ron, I was surprised too. Here are some photos fwiw.

Thanks again

Attachments

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
G-Flex cures more rigid than the name implies.
And you can incorporate fiberglass in the epoxy.

For better adhesion, sand well and then lightly flame with a propane torch, just enough to denature the surface. It really helps. Google it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If you need a semi permanent solution carpet tape does a surprisingly good job of sticking to HDPE. 3M VHB does not in my experience.
Kayak's are also made of the same stuff. There's plenty of videos out there of people melting HDPE together for repairs. Typical tools include a torch and spatula

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
That is not likely HDPE, it not commonly used for injection molding parts like that. It could be ABS, maybe polycarbonate...
For machining a new one, don't worry about the internal structure. Just make it solid. The ribs inside are only to make it moldable. Injection molded parts need to have a fairly uniform wall thickness then they add those ribs for strength or stiffness. Machining a new one you can keep it solid. If you tell the machinist how it is being used they will sort out which features need to be replicated and which don't.
If it was me, I'd probably print one. But then I have a 3D printer in my basement ;)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
As Darcy says, it's probably ABS. If so, you can bond it with the black ABS cement for sewer pipe from your local hardware store. Don't use PVC glue, it won't stick.

When my ABS control head disintegrated I machined a solid one out of a 7" round rod of aluminum with my friend's mill. This was before they started selling cast replacement ones at the SBO store. It is the strongest part on the boat now besides the engine. Now if I would have had a 3D printer like DArcy :thumbup:......but I don't have a basement either.

149.jpg

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I've repaired plastic kayaks with G-flex.it works. +1 on the propane torch treatment.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Use a piece of starboard. Get the thickness / size you need.
Drill a hole in the center the diameter of the pipe piece you will fit it around.
Cut the piece in half.
Position the pieces and drill holes where needed to secure to the AP wheel.
You now have 2 clamp pieces.