What size sheave?

Mar 26, 2007
-Hunter -30T 5 Portland Oregon (H30)
I have a '91 Hunter 30, and one of my masthead sheaves broke and siezed while the main was up. Long story short, we got in and managed to get the main down but the halyard is still jammed in the broken sheave.

The question: does anyone know what the make/model/size of the sheaves is in the '91 Hunter 30's? Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might share!

Scott Stevenson
scott19770@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Scott, hate to tell you this but you may have to take out the sheave to know. You'll have to do it to replace it anyway, which means you going up or the mast coming down. If you know your spar's maker you could contact him. But I assure you plain aluminum sheaves are available all over the place so you're not beholden to pay a premium for it. A shave slightly too small (by up to 1/8" will be acceptable, especially if you have double (redundant) halyards-- which I hope you do.

I would advise that you use only an aluminum one, not the plastic which is prone to UV weathering. And lube it well, using Tef-Gel or anything waterproof.

In the end I would advise pulling the mast, as this problem usually indicates the time when all of the sheaves should be re-lubed or replaced, as well as the rest of the fittings receiving attention. And this job is best done on the ground! :)

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Hey Scott -
Fortunately for me I replaced the sheaves before the OEM factory plastic (Acytel) failed when I had the mast down to replace the OEM standing rigging. The halyard may be jammed between the topping lift and main halyard sheaves. I captured the work and part numbers you are concerned with in the attached document.
Regards,
Dan

Attachments