What size Radiator cap ??

wilf

Jan 25, 2017
oday 25 oday 25 long beach
Hi i have an oday 322 with a 2 cyl yanmar engine, the rubber on the radiator cap is worn and i want to replace it, does anyone know how many pounds pressure cap i should get??
I can't see any numbers on the old cap but at the store the one that was the same shape as mine and had the same size lugs on it said 7.5lbs but the spring on it was a lot less spring tension than mine, but the one that felt like the same spring tension Said 14 lbs but the actual cap has different size connected lugs on it, anyone know the correct cap pressure for this engine ?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Do yourself a favor and purchase an OEM cap from a Yanmar dealer. One of my sailing friends screwed around with aftermarket caps for a year or more and continued to have issues until he got a Yanmar cap.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We were taught by the Mack Boring Yanmar course instructor to use the OEM cap. Not surprising. But until I did that I had some leakage of coolant from the aftermarket cap. I guess the Yanmar engineers have this worked out. Pay da man.

wilf

Jan 25, 2017
The store stocked yanmar parts so I told them what motor it was for and trusted they knew what I needed, anyhow returning it tomorrow and will call a yanmar dealer for the correct one

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
In a thread a few months ago, I had gone to the boat to look at my cap and report back to the OP. I think I gave him the part number.

wilf

Jan 25, 2017
In a thread a few months ago, I had gone to the boat to look at my cap and report back to the OP. I think I gave him the part number.
Thanks I will call by a yanmar store at the weekend and see if they have a different one than the other place gave me

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I think when I replaced the cap on mine, I just asked my local boat yard for a cap for a Yanmar 2GM20 F, and they provided me with the right cap. I don’t really know what PSI it is rated for. I do have a Yanmar shop manual, but I think it is on the boat.

Can you check defender or Mack Boring for the 2GM20and see if it references a part number or a PSI rating?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My 3YM20 manual did not specify a PSI, nor did the cap. Maybe take the OEM to a radiator shop to spec it?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Shop manual specifies 12.8 psi for the cap pressure.. a few years ago, I did some searching and found the Yanmar cap was expensive (~$25) but fit and functions fine.. The cap is a strange smaller size ..

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Call your local Yanmar dealer and order the cap. Maybe at the same time order a parts manual.... nice thing to have!

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
does anyone know how many pounds pressure cap i should get??
Assuming that your diesel is a 2GM20 or at least the same series and according to the service manual, the filler cap pressure relief valve opens at 12.8 lb/in2 (0.9 kgf/cm2). A search for 2GM20F pressure cap gives Yanmar p/n 123682-44210. Both of these were found from Goggle searches.

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Yanmar-2gm20f-3534834.html