What size outboard for 26c

Sep 20, 2011
MacGregor 26 Lake Waccamaw, NC
What size outboard for 26C? .... most use will be in fresh water lakes after dropping sails and moving to dock and/or mooring ball. Of course, whenever ”no wind“ results in a need to return to the dock/ball. Thinking 6 Hp extra long shaft. Looking for confirmation or other ideas.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You are correct. Typical motor sizes are 6 - 9 hp with an extra long shaft (25") per these links.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I use a 6hp Tohatsu Sailpro that I bought barely used for $500. It moves the boat easily to hull speed (6 knots) through NYC Hudson River currents & large wake chop. What I love about the 6hp is that its light to swap out with the electric and it hardly sips gas. I also bought a used electric Min-Kota Spider 48LB thrust trolling motor ($50) to use on "electric-only" lakes and it moves the boat at 3 knots on high on calm water with calm wind which is plenty good for getting me away from the dock and back to it , I wouldn't take it out in a gail though... I did a couple of days on my local "electric only" lake with the trolling motor without the sails just to be out on the water and swim and it had no problem pushing the boat and six people around all day.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
HAPPY NEW YEAR, 2021 IS GONNA BE BETTER. Correct. Have Honda 7.5 4 stroke long shaft. Plenty of power and good on gas.

Jul 2, 2020
MacGregor 26C Nashville
I'll echo George_NJ's comments - the Tohatsu 6 HP on our 26C is more than adequate. We bought the sail pro model (manual start) which has an alternator for charging the battery.

Oct 8, 2014
NA NA NA
I have a Nissan 9.8 long shaft on mine. We tend to run under power a fair amount and have no issue reaching hull speed on less than full power. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go smaller rather than larger. Found mine on a clearance deal though, so I am pretty content.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I have a old Johnson 7.5 extra long shaft. It works great but is a pig on fuel.
Make sure what ever you get is an extra long shaft.
Marty

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Anything from a 6-9.9 will work. Our 26S came with a 6 but we changed to a 9.9 to beat against bad weather back to the slip. Look at other aspects too: 2 vs 4 stroke. 2-strokes are usually lighter but some areas don't allow them. Electric or pull start? The ladies will thank you for push button starting. Generator for charging?
I added a prop ring to protect my nice IdaSailor HDPE rudder from the blade. I probably still have pics somewhere.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Anything from a 6-9.9 will work. Our 26S came with a 6 but we changed to a 9.9 to beat against bad weather back to the slip. Look at other aspects too: 2 vs 4 stroke. 2-strokes are usually lighter but some areas don't allow them. Electric or pull start? The ladies will thank you for push button starting. Generator for charging?
I added a prop ring to protect my nice IdaSailor HDPE rudder from the blade. I probably still have pics somewhere.
You can see a bit of my prop ring in this pic
aft stbd.jpg

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Prop ring or equivalent is a must. I have a hydrofoil fin on my 9.9.
Before I got the fin I made my own out of HDPE plastic. Just pop rivited it to the fin above the prop on the rudder side. It was only on that one side. Looked funny but who cares! It worked great.
Marty

Nov 15, 2020
Macgregor 26s Bay City Michigabn
I use a 6hp Tohatsu Sailpro that I bought barely used for $500. It moves the boat easily to hull speed (6 knots) through NYC Hudson River currents & large wake chop. What I love about the 6hp is that its light to swap out with the electric and it hardly sips gas. I also bought a used electric Min-Kota Spider 48LB thrust trolling motor ($50) to use on "electric-only" lakes and it moves the boat at 3 knots on high on calm water with calm wind which is plenty good for getting me away from the dock and back to it , I wouldn't take it out in a gail though... I did a couple of days on my local "electric only" lake with the trolling motor without the sails just to be out on the water and swim and it had no problem pushing the boat and six people around all day.
George, sounds like a good set up for you. What battery are you using? Bert

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Which prop ring did you get? I also believe they give the motor better performance. Best to you, Bert
Sorry, it has been so long I can't remember. I saw it in local boat sales/repair shop. I've heard of using everything from a modified mudflap to a prop cage. i.e. from just protecting the rudder to protecting swimmers. I think you are right though. The ring is supposed to give a little extra performance.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
George, sounds like a good set up for you. What battery are you using? Bert
Hi Grace, I have two old school marine batteries that I have a solar array charging. But one twelve volt marine battery alone would be enough to power the trolling motor for the day, that's what most firshermen on the lake use.