What size headsail for a Hunter 386?

May 25, 2023
Hunter 386 Jacksonville
I'm new to a 2003 Hunter 386 it has a blown out mainsail. 1st thing on the list of fixes also needs a headsail any suggestion on size. Maybe a race or two but mostly cruising. I am new here so THANKS for any help.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
With the Hunters that have a B & R rig (No Backstay, Swept back spreaders) the standard jib is a 105 to 110%. You can go larger but that is what it is designed for. The main in that rig provides most of the power. Enough so that in 15 knots of wind a reef in the main is appropriate. You don't need a larger jib like the masthead rigs of the 70's. You'll pass them while they are cranking in those enormous 150's and getting tired.
However, the main should be well shaped. Blown out will cause the boat to sail poorly - excessive heel, too much rudder, won't point, slow! Put the first money into the main, in my opinion.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It might be a good idea to talk to a local sail loft and see what they recommend for your normal sailing area…

i ordered a new jib to replace my very tired 155 Genoa. After chatting with my local loft, we decided on a 135 jib. I was reefing the old155 a lot, so running a smaller head sail made sense to me.

I was out this week in 26+ knot winds with just the new head sail out and it performed well in rough conditions.

Greg

May 25, 2023
Hunter 386 Jacksonville
With the Hunters that have a B & R rig (No Backstay, Swept back spreaders) the standard jib is a 105 to 110%. You can go larger but that is what it is designed for. The main in that rig provides most of the power. Enough so that in 15 knots of wind a reef in the main is appropriate. You don't need a larger jib like the masthead rigs of the 70's. You'll pass them while they are cranking in those enormous 150's and getting tired.
However, the main should be well shaped. Blown out will cause the boat to sail poorly - excessive heel, too much rudder, won't point, slow! Put the first money into the main, in my opinion.
C

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You can find most information on the H386 here.

H386

Just click on that link for your owner manual and more.
_____
Welcome to SBO, the source of OEM Hunter parts too,

Jim...