What size head?

Jan 27, 2020
C&C 37 Hamilton
I currently have what seems to be a "household" size bowl on my standard Jabsco pump toilet. I am upgrading to a macerating electric and have the option of either the "household" or "marine" size bowl. The head area is pretty small so the current larger bowl knocks the knees with pretty much anything you do (either entering, using the sink, etc.) which is why I'm entertaining going down to the smaller bowl. Is it worth it? I'm guessing that the larger bowl and seat are more like home but is the smaller bowl really that much of a compromise? Does everyone with the smaller bowl wish for the larger size? I have a variety of sizes and shapes that sail with me. Last thing I want to do is spend all that $ on the upgrade only to hear: "What the heck did you buy THAT thing for?"

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My almost first project on a brand new B323 was to change out that small potty for the household size. I couldn't fit "everythng" inside the small seat hole. Since I ask ALL crew to sit to do their functions, I converted to the household size. You can't regret doing it.
the HH is 13 5/8 h x 18 3/8 w x 19 5/16 d.
the sml is 13 1/4 h x 17 3/4 w x 16 3/4 d.

Jan 27, 2020
C&C 37 Hamilton
Maybe ask whoever has the largest ass what they prefer.
Not many stores around with floor models of both versions to take for a test ride and no boats in the water at the moment to walk the dock to perhaps find one.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Not many stores around with floor models of both versions to take for a test ride and no boats in the water at the moment to walk the dock to perhaps find one.
You can make a template from the the specs and cut out cardboard template to pin on their ass and ask what they think.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you have the room, get the household size, unless everyone in the crew is very small.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Best option is to install a marine size bowl but change the toilet seat to a regular size. You get the smaller size to fit in your space while also enjoying the bigger opening for your cheeks.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
When I installed our electric macerating head, I discovered that the slope of bulkhead that sweeps into the mounting platform would not allow placement due to the motor..The light bulb came on....All I needed to do was to raise the head vertically. Hmmm. So, given the presence of moisture ( shower/sink/humidity and the head) it was rationalized that anything wood was a non starter. But NON wood..... So at Lowe's a 1"x8"x8' PVC plank was acquired. It was cut into 4 8"x8" squares. These were stacked and thru bolted with SS bolts. The head sits atop this block and is both stable AND..... in compliance with ADA ...

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
I swapped my Jabsco marine size for Raritan with household after one use, not kidding. It’s not the cheeks! I couldn’t fit my gentleman’s bits and keep the rear aligned for drop off without crushing all that should never be crushed. Horrible. Way too small. Never again.

I’m 6’2” and 190, not sure if that means I’m a large or small person.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
My vote is household size. Started with compact and changed to household size. On the jabsco model if you compare the dimensions you will find that they vary only slightly in every direction and most likely will not cause an interference. Our local Westmarine did not stock the household size but could order it. Would never go back to compact.