What Size Danforth?

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I have noticed that there is an area in our anchor lockers that looks like it is molded for an auxiliary anchor...I think. Will this fit a 20lb Danforth? Someone nearby is selling one for $50, looks like new in the pictures. I don't have any pictures of our locker but I have seen either a Fortress or Danforth hanging in the locker of a Catalina 34, and I think we have the same arrangement. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

dj

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I keep a fortress FX-11 in there as a back-up anchor and it fits fine. Not sure anything larger would fit.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Yes, I have a generic 20 lb danforth type which will fit in the anchor locker. I had to trim the aft end round bar stabilizer on the anchor an inch or two so it would fit in the molded locker.

Attachments

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Just ran across this pic of Paul's locker with danforth stowed

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The locker was designed for the 12 pound danforth, which is the appropriately sized anchor. The Fortress FX-11 is the equivalent but only weighs 7 pounds. If you have a grinder you can cut a 20 pounder down to fit but the shank gets a little long.

I put a piece of plexiglass in the anchor locker to separate the two Rhodes. The danforth and its rhode sit in the holder along the starboard side and the plexiglass holds it in place. I used a little double sided tape to hold the plexiglass in place but really the pressure from the primary holds the plexiglass up against the sides of the anchor locker. I can put out either anchor without getting the Rhodes tangled.