What should I charge?

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
I helped the captain of a 50ish foot sailboat DocK last night. Today he asked me if I would be interested in cleaning the top sides of the boat before the owner arrives. I am in Brunswick Georgia. I have never done anything like that for pay, but am a hard worker. I have done a lot about cleaning. How much should I ask to get paid?
Basically it's just typical washing cleaning and polishing. No applying wax or sanding or anything complicated.

Mar 25, 2010
Hunter 34 Rose Haven MD
If he is only asking for is elbow grease not technical knowledge, you could consider giving him an hourly rate - you might feel more comfortable setting that value and it might result in more work.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I helped the captain of a 50ish foot sailboat DocK last night. Today he asked me if I would be interested in cleaning the top sides of the boat before the owner arrives. I am in Brunswick Georgia. I have never done anything like that for pay, but am a hard worker. I have done a lot about cleaning. How much should I ask to get paid?
Basically it's just typical washing cleaning and polishing. No applying wax or sanding or anything complicated.

what do you expect to earn in a days work? if you charge too little you will be busy all the time if you charge too much you will not be busy at all ....think about how long it will take you and divide that by 8 hour days and then what you would expect to make an hour ...also include the supplies in your pricing ...that should give you some idea of what its wort to you ......then if you feel like it ask what he is willing to pay or just ask him what his budget is ...some time his budget will pay better than you would charge on the other hand it may be less ...then you will have to decide if you would do the job for his lower price...if he is fair he will give you a realistic price but if he is an oger he will low ball you ....there is a lot to think about seems like lol....good luck....

regards

woody

Feb 21, 2013
Macgregor 26M N Topsail Beach, NC
#1 Be sure he is paying for the supplies. Not only soap and water but brushes, sponges and rags. If he wants you to furnish add this to your price or charge him separately. What is the going hourly rate in your area? Charge this plus 30% as a minimum. I would expect in your area $15 would be the absolute minimum of course you are closer to this than I.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Make sure you have a complete understanding of whether he wants only the topsides cleaned, or the the topsides and the entire deck....

the topsides refers to the area of the boat that is verticle from the waterline upwards, usually to the rubrail but sometimes higher on some boats....

the deck is the walkable area of the boat, from stem to stern, and usually down as far as the rub rail.... washing the topsides in cold weather is NOT a fun job, and is difficult if it needs any real elbow grease applied..... as opposed to the effort that will be put into washing the deck, which is a cake walk in comparison....

also consider the size of the boat.... on a 40ft boat, to do the topsides and the deck area, if you have the tools, it will probably take around 3.5 hours to do a good job the way I would expect it to be done if I were paying someone....

but if you work at a leisurely pace, or dont have the proper brushes, it could take much longer.... im thinking a hundred dollar bill.... as that is what I would expect to pay.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Brunswick, GA that is a plush resort area where services are usually charged at above regular rates. Check the hailing port for the vessel and if it is anywhere in the northeast or a foreign port of convenience it is likely that they are used to paying top rates. I think an hourly rate of $25 for unskilled labor would be more than fair.

Sprega

Sep 12, 2012
O,day 27 Brownsville Marina
Make sure that the cleaning agents you use meet all of the environmental rules of the area. National, state and what ever rules your marina may have. In my marina we can't use any soaps that cause suds. Call a company that provides boat maintenance and ask what charge.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
What kind of boat does he have? ;-

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Be certain you carefully examine the boat for any blemishes or defects beforehand and call them to his attention in writing so you don't inherit liability (get blamed) for them.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
All very good advice! I especially like the info about finding out where he came in from, and if it's up north, they are used to paying more! As far as what kind of boat? All I can say is it's very big ketch with teak decks.
I decided not to take the job. I have been replacing my fuel lines, upgrading my racor fuel filter housing, cleaning the terminals on my wiring harness, and even replaced my control cables. And besides all that I had just finished buffing my own boat's top sides (thanks Maine Sail) so I'm pretty tired of boat projects, I need a break!
The rest of the week is supposed to continue to be good local sailing weather and, hey, I have this new fuel filter and control cables to try out, and I need to get a little saltwater on the new wax job!:D

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The average per hour will vary but it is hard work. Usually $20 to 2$ per hour or you could charge by the foot at the same rates as some folks are slower. Make sure you not only discuss the deck but what about the hull. If using electrical, be careful around water particularly the hull work. I have a former employee from my sailboat dealership now closed doing the above.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Brunswick, GA that is a plush resort area where services are usually charged at above regular rates. Check the hailing port for the vessel and if it is anywhere in the northeast or a foreign port of convenience it is likely that they are used to paying top rates. I think an hourly rate of $25 for unskilled labor would be more than fair.
Are you saying you'd pay $25.00 an hour for unskilled labor? Are you a Rockefeller? To wash a boat? My crew would happily do work like that for you at that rate, every day of the week. And she looks pretty good in a bikini when doing it, too. :)

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
CATA, we need pic's to evaluate the, er acceptable rate of compensation!

-fwiw, boat polishers get that down here. but they do it with no mistakes.

When I was dockmaster in coconut grove, there was this gal that painted boat names on transoms. she got a lot of work from that yard.

the company was called the topless painter. but they finally stopped using her as the rest of the yard's productivity when to heck...

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
CATA, we need pic's to evaluate the, er acceptable rate of compensation!

-fwiw, boat polishers get that down here. but they do it with no mistakes.

When I was dockmaster in coconut grove, there was this gal that painted boat names on transoms. she got a lot of work from that yard.

the company was called the topless painter. but they finally stopped using her as the rest of the yard's productivity when to heck...
Waxing and polishing is one thing, washing is quite another, don't you think?
As for my crew, the pics are on our facebook page, so punch those keys. However, I'll warn you now, the clothing optional sailing pics do not make it on the web. Sorry.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
How much should I ask to get paid?
I know you decided against taking the job, but here's a tip for the future- don't ask boat owners how much your labor is worth (as you've done here.) They will low-ball you every single time. :D

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Whoever suggested $20-$25 per hour might be out of line, especially if the prevailing labor rate in the locality is less than that. As an independent contractor you should be able to charge less than yard rates because you don't have the overhead expense. Don't equate "rich" boat owners from out of town as being naive. if they are really rich, they didn't get that way by being stupid. People will look for the best value they can find. If you are new at doing the work, you are possibly going to be less efficient and should start by charging less per hour, or else agree on a flat rate plus the cost of material.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
DougM;

I was the one who suggested that. I use to own American Marine & Sail Supply and before retiring, I was one of the top ten dealers for Hunter. I was no stranger to working on boats. When compounding/waxing which requires cleaning and the use of a buffer, that is hard work sir. Most of the folks doing that type of work will tell you it is hard work and I mean hard work. Try operating a heavy buffer solid all day and then you will understand when your arms, back, legs and so forth are hurting not to mention if working in the hot sun either. $20 to $25 is very well justified.

dave condon

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Anyone who questions a rate of $25 per hour for buffing and polish topsides has never done the job, not on a 50 footer anyways.