What should I be afraid of on 95 C-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2005
- - Ventura, CA
I'm considering selling my 1985 C-36 and moving up to a 1995 C-40. I love my 36, but my little charter business really needs more cockpit space. So what kinds of flaws should I be aware of on the C-40? What are the things that are likely to break or are already broken.

Oct 26, 2004
- - Corpus Christi
C400 MKII is a great boat

I have a 2000 model C400 MKII--I really enjoy the boat. I don't think the '95 is a MKII so I'm not sure how well they compare. However, the MKII has a very comfortable cockpit and is fairly roomy. I think from a charter standpoint, its worst feature is its very steep companionway. I really don't have any other design complaints. I think it's a well-built boat (from the Florida Morgan plant) but unfortunately I've fallen in love with my boat so I'm probably not the right guy to ask about problems. Seriously, I haven't found any serious problems, just the usual maintenance and cosmetic upkeep. I would buy a 400 again, no question.

M

Mike

I agree with Mark

I have a Catalina 400 1996 model year. Bought the boat in 2000. Overall, am happy with the design. Tons of room for a family with 3 children 12, 9, 4. The boat sails well in both light and heavy air. More stiff in a breeze than what I originally thought it would be( Good news!). The engines in the earlier years were Westerbekes and were prone to problems( mine included) This has been a frustration but have finally fixed the problem. The steering in the 95 and 96 models have a tendancy to be somewhat rubbery. In short, I have simply learned how to deal with it(no big deal). Look out for forward shower sump discharge valve. This exits below the waterline near the bow, can acess through drawer under v berth. The check valves have been known to fail and you risk flooding the boat.( almost happened to me!)Keep sea cock shut off except when useing shower! I believe that you would be hard pressed to find a better built boat at this price point ! Well, unless you talk to other owners of boats costing $100,000+ more for the same size , with less room and slower! Best of luck on your purchase!

Oct 26, 2004
- - Corpus Christi
Shower drains now have vented loops

In my 2000 model C400, the shower sumps have a vented loop on the way to the thruhull, so that should resolve the flooding concerns. However, when hair clogs up the line, it's harder to get out, obviously. I installed a straight fitting halfway up from the sump and about once a year I have to disconnect and flush the hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.