What shackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gordon

I will be trailer sailing this year, therefore, will be raising and lowering the mast often. What shackle should I use to attach the roller furling forestay to the bow. Right now there is a snap shackle which should be fast, but seams a little risky for the forestay. D-Shackles would be safer, but more difficult to connect while raising the mast. What do you think?

M

Mike

Turnbuckle

Gordon, The lower end of your forestay should have a turnbuckle on it, not a shackle. Is the turnbuckle missing? What manufacture furler do you have? The stock turnbuckles on C22's are 1/4". Here are a couple of websites you may find useful. One is an older C22 Owners Manual, and the other is for CDI Furler Manual, assuming that is what you have. http://www.catalina22.org/manuals/mnl77/manl77.htm http://www.catalina18.net/CDI_rollerfurler/default.htm

M

Mike

Is there a Rigger in the house?

Gordon, I'm not sure if using a shackle would be appropriate and/or a risk. I do understand you wanting to facilitate putting the clevis pin into the turnbuckle. The end of the turnbuckle should be easily accessable. I do not trailer sail, but I've set up my furler 3 seasons now without any problems. Using a shackle would extend the length of the forestay and possibly cause too much rake in the mast, which could translate into too much weather helm. Are there any expert riggers out there that might have a more informed response?

M

Mike

Ring Ding

Gordon, I forgot to add in the previous post that you could purchase the split ring "Ring Dings" to replace the cotter pin in the clevis. You do not need any tools the install or remove them, and they're re-usable over and over.

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
What is the problem?

A clevis pin and ring or cotter pin is the right way to secure the forestay. Use the jib halyard to hold the mast up while you pin it. No need to be in a hurry. :) With a CDI furler the "jib halyard" is part of the furler ... but the boat should have a real halyard that you can use. Snap shackle? ... no comment ... *pop

J

Jon Golliher

Use the jib halyard

I agree with Moody also on all points. To further elaborate, while my helper is walking the mast up, I have the halyard wrapped a couple turns on the pulpit and when he heaves, it's real easy to keep taking up the slack and hold it as he gets another grip, always having the mast in control. As soon as the mast is up I cleat the halyard off on a bow cleat and we can get the furler connected at our leisure.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
quick release pin

a clevis pin with a clevis ring is the way to go....but...if you're set on something a little speedier, try a fast pin or push pin to replace the clevis pin. On my Nacra I pinned the forestay eye to a shroud adjuster so I could set the mast rake easily. I replaced the clevis pin with a fast pin(aka quick release pin) and it made it super quick to change settings. The pin has a lanyard. Remember that if the forestay fails the jib halyard and headsail will hold up the mast until you can get the forestay reattached. (except on that CDI model with the halyard built into it. Hmmm.... another reason is don't like those units. see the link...........http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|309310|296535&id=99918

Status
Not open for further replies.