What outboards will work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Thomas

Does anyone know what outboard motor size and type (ex.mercury etc.) are best for a 76 C27? I currently have an old johnson 15hp. Looking for something more reliable and lighter, maybe a 9.9. Any help would be appreciated.

R

Richard McBride

Anything from 7.5 to 15 HP

Hi Dave I have a C27, and I currently have a 9.9 2 stroke. I am upgrading to a 9.9 4 stroke with a long shaft and a high thrust prop. Anything from 7.5 to 15 will work, but I would suggest something similar to what I am getting. It is specifically designed for sailboats under 30' in length.

D

Dave

Richard, what brand are you going to?

Richard, What brand of motor are you going to? I was afraid that some of the 4 stroke motors would be to big to tilt up out of the water when under sail. What make motor do you currently have?

R

Richard McBride

Merc

Hi Dave. I am going to a Merc. 9.9. It is too big to tilt up out of the transom, however I am getting a bracket from Breeze Industries that will allow me to mount the motor on the stern, as opposed to in the transom cutout. I am actually considering closing in the transom. I know that many people leave the motor down when sailing, and I do this as well, even with the current engine. It seems to have little impact on sailing performance (although it must in some way). The fellow just down the dock from me has exactly that setup. He leaves his 9.9 Merc motor down all the time, and he has rigged up a kind of "sock" that he puts over the leg in the water while at the dock. This sock keeps the ocean critters from making a home on his engine. He says it works out quite well, and has not affected sailing ability.

R

Rob R

9.9's seem to dominate..

in my marina. Honda seems pretty popular, for some reason. The only thing I would really recommend would be the long shaft. When it comes to horsepower, I think a 9.9 should do you just fine in most conditions, unless you spend a lot of time in open water or in heavy currents. As for models, I cannot recommend, I have an inboard on mine. Let us know what you decide - Rob

T

Tom

long shaft

I used to have a Nissan 8hp until it got stolen. It was perfect - light and utterly reliable. I replaced it with a Johnson 8 and it is OK. But it is not a long shaft. It doesn't go into the water deep enough and in reverse it tends to wash against the transom causing the boat to slide. So an 8 hp is fine if it's a long shaft. But I see more 9.9s than anything else.

P

Peter Hine

9.9, but Will it fit in the well?

I've had a 9.9 Evinrude 2 stroke, and replaced it with a Johnson 15 2 stroke. The 15 was only about $150 more than the 9.9, so I figured go for the power. but the extra 5HP is not needed 95% of the time, and the 15 uses 30% more gas than the 9.9. I'd go with a 9.9. Bigger issue is will it fit in the well w/o surgery? Most 4-stroke electric starts won't. The Johnson 2 stroke, and the Evinrude 9.9 ( the old 2 stroke model) do, with very minor mods. Mainsheet magazine has had several articles about the surgery you need to fit a modern 4-stroke in the well.

H

Harry Ottey

outboard for C-27

I replaced my outboard last season. I got a new Johnson 8 Sailmaster. Fits in the transom fine, and doesn't bust your knuckles when raising. It has enough power to push the boat at hull speed 99% of the time. The engine I replaced was also an 8 Sailmaster (long shaft). In the 10 years I've owned this boat, only once did the engine not push the boat into very strong head winds & current. I probably shouldn't have been out that day anyhow. I've been very happy with the eight. It's light weight and reliable. Any small engine shop can repair it, and parts are easily located.

D

Dave Trace

Outboard Motor

I repowered with a 2002 Yamaha 8 hp high thrust, short shaft, electric start and remote control gearshift/throttle. I replaced a 9.9 hp 12-year old Honda. The Yamaha High Thrust has an oversized prop. It is "hollow" so allows lots of water over rudder in reverse. At a 4.5 knot boat speed I use just slightly over a litre (quart) an hour. 3/4 open and I'm doing over 5.5 knots but burying the transom and filling with water. I'm very happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.