What outboarder for 170?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SeaMan

Hello guys, I am just waiting for the delivery of my new 170. I've taken the motor mount as well and count on buying an outboarder, but really have trouble finding out what's best for my daily use... I would like to use a 2- or 4-stroke engine (no electrical stuff) and wonder what is the max power allowed? I often see speaking about 2.5HP, but is it really not possible to mount and use a 3 HP or a 4HP engine? If so, is the problem in motor weight or in propulsion power, or simply the poor motor mount design and built. If the weak motor mount build is the case, would it be possible to custom-build something more robust to support a 3-4 HP 4-stroke engine, up to 20-24 kg. in weight? The thing is, on days without wind, I may be using my outboarder to drive 4-6 people around, to destinations miles away, and I do not want to be crawling with 2-3 knots speed. Also, some rought sea and waves are not excluded (for this size boat) and I am not sure that a 2.5HP engine could handle that... Any experiences or owners advice is really appreciated on this matter. Thanks in advance.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 34 Huron, OH
Outboard for 170

I own a 2002 Hunter 170 and use a Honda 2.o, 4-stroke. It's light weight, quiet, dependable, and extremely fuel effcient. I think the 170 is rated for a maximum hp of 2.5. The Honda 2.0 will easily push the 170 to hull speed. You can't exceed hull speed, so additional house power is a waste of money and additional weight. I have had my 170 in wave in Wynyah Bay(sp?) S.C. The Honda did very well. Your biggest problem will be having the prop come out of the water...better to put a reef in the main, reef in the jib and sail through it. The Honda only carries less than a quart of gas, so keep that in mind when setting out and planning to rely on power. Hope this helps. You'll love the 170!

S

SeaMan

What hull speeds?

Thanks rpfrehs! is the problem of getting the prop out of the water due to shallower (15 or 16") motor shaft? I seem to have seen there are now Honda BH2D models with standard (short) and long shaft, which could perhaps solve the issue... I actually love this little Honda model and was thinking about buying it, but then hesitated because of the low power... I was also told there is an optional external 12L petrol tank for this motor, but am not sure this is true. If you do not mind me asking, what speed (and under what weight) do you achieve as "hull speed" with 2HP Honda?

S

Stu

Outboard

I use a 3.5 HP Tohatsu (same as Nissan but cheaper)2 stroke outboard. It cost less than the Honda, but you do need to mix the fuel. It has a .5 liter tank on it and will go a long distance on that fill. Weighs about 26 lbs. I have never had it past 1/2 throttle and have no trouble going 4 knots with 4 adults in the boat in any condition. Don't waste your money on a short shaft, the small amount extra you pay for a long shaft is worth the difference. I ordered mine on line and had it delivered to my home.

G

Glenn Basore

Honda 2hp four stroke long shaft

I have 2004 170 and Honda 2 hp four stroke with a long shaft, works very well getting into and around boat slips. I went to honda for a few reason's 1. Honda reliablity 2. Four stroke 3. no mixing of fuel 4. self containing fuel tank 5. Light weight, easy to handle Its a little more expensive than some other out boards, but it was worth every penny so far. Always starts and runs true ! Hope this helps, Glenn Basore (H.D.A.S.C.)

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Yamaha Four Stroke

SeaMan, I run the Yamaha 2.5hp Four-Stroke, which has plenty of torque to get my wife and I through tidal currents on Florida's Atlantic intercoastal-- but 6 people, I don't know about. Also, consider the Yamaha Four-Stroke or other water-cooled four strokes as they are probably quieter than the Honda 2.5, as it is air-cooled. The the-Honda-has-no-water-pump-to-break-down debate is basically null, since these little motors are so well-made these days. The Yamaha's heavier by 10 lbs. maybe, so that's an issue to "weight". Mike G.

D

Dick in MI

motor

I have the Honda 2HP long-shaft and it's all you need. Reliable, lightweight, easy to use, quiet. Not much more to add. You CAN use 3-4 HP motors (if you don't run them too fast), but I'd advise getting an accessory from Hunter that adds extra support to the motor mount. I have one just for peace of mind although it's not really necessary with the 2 HP motor. I don't think it's listed on their standard accessory list, but call them and they'll know what you're talking about.

SeaMan

Feb 28, 2005
Hunter 170 Selves
Interesting opinions...

Well guys, thanks for all your input, I see opinions are not quite the same... I am sure Honda 2HP could be enough, but 3-4HP is certainly better, it's all about price, weight, etc... These 4HP 4-stroke monsters are nice, reliable and quiet, but heavy, hence my concern about how well will the optional Hunter motor mount stand the forces... I'll explain: I will mainly use the boat when on the seaside during summer, for 3-4 weeks, but during these times, mostly all family wants to be onboard. Also, if there's no wind on that day, we still go out to 5-10 miles distant destinations, which makes me prefer outboarders with external tank available (or as an option). So we end up with at least 2 adults + 2 children, and often with a friend or two, making it six. In these same waters, I've used a more classical 4.5-5m fishing boat weighting "only" 260kg with 4HP 2-stroke engine sitting behind and it was never overpowered, so I have to count on similar possibilities now, when we cannot sail. Or, if the wind cannot bring us fast enough far away. I may also consider a Selva 4HP (2 or 4 stroke), as this particular dealer is offering me around $300 for my 15-year old 2-stroke... However, this beast is heavier, at least 22kg, so... My main concerns was whether H170 motor mount can stand such weights and HP forces? Without having figures handy, I estimate the 170 hull should be able to do some 5 knots or more with ease, regardless of the weight onboard... Aren't recent Selva outboarders just Selva-Marine "dressed" Yamahas?

SeaMan

Feb 28, 2005
Hunter 170 Selves
Again the mount, but why 1/2 throttle?

>>You CAN use 3-4 HP motors (if you don't run them too fast), Hey Dick, thanks... that a good idea, I will ask for this. But it does not make me entirely happy... If one cannot use a 3-4HP motor up to the full throttle, it means there's still a problem... What's the point of putting a 22-25kg 4HP 4-stroke (meaning: expensive) motor on a stand, only to use it 1/2 throttle all the time? Except of course, making it last longer due to reduced usage... :) Again, I come to think that all the problem lies in that unfortunate motor mount: the boat and the hull should really be able to take 4HP at full throttle, all the time, so the only solution may be to look into strengthening the mount, or simply making a custom one... Am i wrong? I guess I will be better off when I finally see the boat and the mount in several weeks...

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 34 Huron, OH
Honda shaft length

Yes. The Honda 2.0 comes in two shaft lengths. You'll want to be sure to order the long version. The wave crest height will cause prop cavitation. Since the boat is so light weight, it will tend to plan over the wave. You probably should not be out on the water in the 170 under those conditions. It becomes uncomfortable. I really don't know the speed at which hull speed is achieved. I forget the formula. I would highly recommend the Honda purchase. I bought mine during a boat show and received a $100.00 decrease from the normal price.

G

Glenn Basore

170 MOTOR MOUNT

Before you start thinking about mounting a larger motor remember, Hunter had a design team that developed the maximum loads for for the 170 based upon their design and engineering of the boat, any changes could have a negative effect on the handling and the performance of the boat. I don't know what the standard motor mount bolts to.....You can bet its not the plastic. I don't know how strong the source of the mounting block is ! If Hunter is recommending less than 2.5 hp or less, there is a pretty good reason for this. It might very well be that the motor mount could handle a much larger motor, but the performance of the boat itself would not be safe above the recommended 2,5 hp.......... You might want to contack HUNTER to get their input.

P

phil

long or short shaft?

Do you really need a long shaft with the 170? Found a Honda 2hp, but is it short shaft. Have seen comments that the long shaft drags when heeling, but also the short will come out of the water. advice?

R

Rick S.

long vs. short, hp limit

This is an oft-discussed topic with no consensus, just personal preference. My 2 hp short-shaft was given to me. It's fine in calm water, with the crew weight aft. But if we need to drop sail and motor home against a rising wind, I'd prefer steady power and the option to move the crew forward. If a long shaft drags when heeling, that's an acceptable trade-off. Besides safety, another reason to respect the 2.5 hp limit is potential liability. If your 170 is under mechanical power and is involved in an accident, you may find that the oversized motor, rightfully or not, earns you a citation and gives an insurance company a reason not to pay.

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Shaft length

Phil (I think) fielded the question of whether or not a long shaft is necessary on the 170. It all depends on crew weight distribution, as another writer noted. I find that my standard shaft (15"?) Yamaha 2.5 Four-Stroke does just fine, so long as the majority of the crew is slightly aft. While motoring without sail up, you sometimes have to re-distribute weight to keep the motor from sucking a little air. I've never cavitated all-out though, and the short shaft has motored our 170 against strong tides at Matanzas Inlet (where the Atlantic and St Augustine, Florida meet--- but I wouldn't try returning from sea during full-on tide out--- for fear the 2.5 wouldn't stay ahead of the current) and a 25+ breeze and gathering waves while frantically drop sail due to a surprise storm on an inland lake. Mike G.

J

JerryA

Plywood

I had the motor mount installed by the dealer when I bought mine. The guy that did the install told me that it's screwed to plywood with self tapping screws (wood screws). I asked him for the same reason... I was wondering too just what will it support. Is a long shaft 20"? Where is that measured from and to?

Status
Not open for further replies.