What outboard for a 19?

Apr 11, 2006
O'Day 19 Buena Vista, Colorado
Good day all, new to the forum and have a question.

I lucked into a barn find 1980 O'Day 19 in very good condition, will post photos when the deal is closed. The boat has been sitting inside for 24 years.

It has a motor bracket but no motor. What size is recommended for this boat? I'm thinking a 4 or 5 hp.

Thanks, Bill

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Bill, that should do fine for you. I have a 5hp on my 192, and it pushed at hull speed. They sell a 2.5hp Tohatsu with the Sage 17. Depending on your typical conditions, maybe you want to go smaller. And you can always put on a smaller pitch prop (so called high thrust prop) for a bit more oomph...

Brian

Sep 17, 2012
Oday Mariner Middle River Md
Bill,
I have an O'Day Mariner, 19', and an older 4hp Johnson pushes her nicely. I would get a motor with forward and reverse, as opposed to one you spin around backwards for reverse.
I think I looked it up at one point and the Mariner was rated [mine is a 1970] for a 9hp. That seemed a little overkill to me.
robj

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks for the input. There's a nice looking evinrude 2 stroke 4hp on CL nearby. I think that will work nicely.

As far as the boat I picked it up today and will give it a thorough going through tomorrow.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I have used a 50 lb thrust electric trolling motor for simple maneuvering unless the wind and currents got high. Otherwise, a 5 HP outboard is quite sufficient.

Mar 6, 2013
Oday 19 Weeki Wachee
If you are going to use her in Fresh Water you might want a 4 stroke as some lakes do not allow 2 stroke engines.

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 222 El Dorado Co CA
A electric motor has been a nice choice for me. Reliable instant thrust in forward or reverse for about two hours. Much better maneuvering control compared to my previous 5hp Briggs and Stratton 4cycle. 50 pound was good enough but 75 pound is better for 30mph wind maneuvering.

Here is performance data take on freshwater no wind for a 75pound thrust troller. http://someyawhoo.smugmug.com/Other/Boat-Data/n-Gj7Ph

Someyawhoo

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
bmiller: If that 4 hp is the Yacht twin, that is a prize older motor for a sailboat! Do check to be sure 2 strokes can be used on water you intend to sail. Chief

Nov 8, 2013
Oday Mariner 19' Lapan Bay, Vt.
I have a 19" Mariner,right now I have a 4hp Johnson, older, no FNR, sux. I'm going to repower this spring with the 5hp Lehr, Lp gas powered, wih a 10 lb tank and some little ones for back up. Look up The "Mariner Class Association" there is alot of info there directed at the Mariner. We all want to see lots of photos.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I think we need to have a little review here. The original posting was from an owner of an "O'DAY 19", that is not a MARINER, although a lot of ideas pertaining to Mariners (or even my DS II) wil lbe helpful to owners of the other 19' O'DAY models. Outboard advice will mostly apply to all 4 designs, one advantage to the 19 and the 192 is that by then O'DAY finally realized that owners needed a safe place to stow the gas tank for the outboard!

O'DAY built 4 different (well ,3 different hulls) 19' models over the years.
RHODES 19: (1959 - 1977) Basically a bigger Day Sailer (although actually designed/introduced before the DS )
MARINER: (1963-79) same hull as the R19, but with a cabin. Originally cabin was open to non-self-bailing cockpit and had 2 berths (1963-68), 1969 saw introduction of hte MARINER 2+2 which changed the boat to have a bulkhead separating the cabing from the now self-bailing cockpit and adding 2 more berths partially under the cockpit seats, the original stepped look to the cabin was kept from the orignal, in about 1972-3 O'DAY redesinged the deck to a more modern, rounded look, this style remained until last O'DAY Mariner was built in early 1979 model year.
O'DAY 19: (1979-84) a totally new design from C.R. Hunt Associates, the 19 had more freeboard than the Mariner and a smaller cabin, only 2 berths, layout was not remarkably different from the original MARINER but with more freeboard, as well as an enclosed cabin and self-bailing cockpit. CB was now fiberglass instead of Iron.
O'DAY 192: (1985-87....'89?): Basically a smaller version of the 222, 4-berths, Keel/CB design.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Rhodes 19, Mariner 19, O'Day 19, O'Day 192

I think we need to have a little review here. The original posting was from an owner of an "O'DAY 19", that is not a MARINER, although a lot of ideas pertaining to Mariners (or even my DS II) wil lbe helpful to owners of the other 19' O'DAY models. Outboard advice will mostly apply to all 4 designs, one advantage to the 19 and the 192 is that by then O'DAY finally realized that owners needed a safe place to stow the gas tank for the outboard!

O'DAY built 4 different (well ,3 different hulls) 19' models over the years.
RHODES 19: (1959 - 1977) Basically a bigger Day Sailer (although actually designed/introduced before the DS )
MARINER: (1963-79) same hull as the R19, but with a cabin. Originally cabin was open to non-self-bailing cockpit and had 2 berths (1963-68), 1969 saw introduction of hte MARINER 2+2 which changed the boat to have a bulkhead separating the cabing from the now self-bailing cockpit and adding 2 more berths partially under the cockpit seats, the original stepped look to the cabin was kept from the orignal, in about 1972-3 O'DAY redesinged the deck to a more modern, rounded look, this style remained until last O'DAY Mariner was built in early 1979 model year.
O'DAY 19: (1979-84) a totally new design from C.R. Hunt Associates, the 19 had more freeboard than the Mariner and a smaller cabin, only 2 berths, layout was not remarkably different from the original MARINER but with more freeboard, as well as an enclosed cabin and self-bailing cockpit. CB was now fiberglass instead of Iron.
O'DAY 192: (1985-87....'89?): Basically a smaller version of the 222, 4-berths, Keel/CB design.

Good summary. Some additional identifiers:

HULL
Rhodes 19 and Mariner have the same hull.
O'Day 19 and 192 are different from each other.

KEEL
Rhodes 19 and Mariner can be centerboard or fixed keel.
O'Day 19 and 192 are centerboard only.
The 192 has a deeper shoal keel so the centerboard does not extend into the cabin.

STERN
The O'Day 19 and 192 have a tumblehome stern.
The Rhodes 19 and Mariner have a vertical stern.

BEAM
The O'Day 19 has the widest beam at almost 8 ft.
The others are 7 ft wide.

MAST/SAIL AREA
The O'Day 19 originally came in a "tall mast" configuration. Similar height as the Rhodes 19 but a little more sail area. Later the mast height was reduced to the same sail area as the O'Day 192.
The Mariner has slightly less sail area than the Rhodes 19.

Portsmouth Ratings:
Rhodes 19 RDS19 96.9
Rhodes 19 (CB Ver.) RDS19B 95.8

Mariner 19 MAR19 101.8
Mariner 19 (CB Ver.) MAR19B 102.1

O'Day 19 (CB) ODY19 95.2
O'Day 192 ODY192 98.3

Apr 11, 2006
bmiller: If that 4 hp is the Yacht twin, that is a prize older motor for a sailboat! Do check to be sure 2 strokes can be used on water you intend to sail. Chief

It sold before I could get to it. Oh well there's always another one.

The boat is coming along nicely but this recent cold snap brought everything to a halt. Will update on the other thread I started about this boat.

Jun 2, 2004

STERN

MAST/SAIL AREA
The O'Day 19 originally came in a "tall mast" configuration. Similar height as the Rhodes 19 but a little more sail area. Later the mast height was reduced to the same sail area as the O'Day 192.

Actually, the 19 and the 192 have a "Reverse Transom" or "Reverse Counter stern/transom". Which basically means that the transom slopes out (top is forward of bottom) instead of sloping in (top is aft of bottom) on a "traditional Transom" or "Traditonal Counter transom" .

Tumblehome is a different thing, it refers to the sides of a boat (and perhaps rarely to the transom) when they curve in as they near the gunwales. A vessel is said to have tumblehome when the hull is beamier below the gunwales than at the hull-deck junction (hull-deck jusnction/joint is actually the gunwale).

As to mast height, I'm pretty sure that the 19 had the same tall-rig from 1979 to 1984, I've never heard or seen of a shorter rigged version of hte 19, only the original "Tall-rig".

Jan 22, 2008

STERN

MAST/SAIL AREA

Actually, the 19 and the 192 have a "Reverse Transom" or "Reverse Counter stern/transom". Which basically means that the transom slopes out (top is forward of bottom) instead of sloping in (top is aft of bottom) on a "traditional Transom" or "Traditonal Counter transom" .

Tumblehome is a different thing, it refers to the sides of a boat (and perhaps rarely to the transom) when they curve in as they near the gunwales. A vessel is said to have tumblehome when the hull is beamier below the gunwales than at the hull-deck junction (hull-deck jusnction/joint is actually the gunwale).

As to mast height, I'm pretty sure that the 19 had the same tall-rig from 1979 to 1984, I've never heard or seen of a shorter rigged version of hte 19, only the original "Tall-rig".
Thanks. I couldn't find the correct term "reversed transom". Curious about the engineering reasoning for the reversed transom.

Talking last week with Rudy from D&R Marine, he said I do have the MK2 version with the shorter mast. MKI is the Tall Rig Years Buiilt 1978 Through 1980-1/2.

Jun 2, 2004
I have heard others mention the "MK2" version of the 19 with a shorter rig, I've never seen one, but don't doubt they exist. Personally, I would prefer the original rig, feeling it looked better, larger mainsail can always be reefed if wind is stronger. However, I hope to see one with the later, shorter rig before really judging. :)

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I wouldn't go smaller than 4hp. I had one on a Starwind 19. It had a built in gas tank. I carried a two gallon Jerry can

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
Does anyone have any experience with an electric motor on their 19?
Yes. I gave up on my 5hp Honda on my Mariner because I couldn't get it started when I needed to. I needed to get a guest back to the dock for an appointment in light airs, or the wind died and we cooked, or we couldn't get away from the dock. Did everything I was told - used non-ethanol gas exclusively, ran it dry at the end of the day, added Stabil to the gas tank. Had the carb cleaned once, and was getting ready to do it again. I was going to a Mariner Rendezvous in Connecticut and needed a reliable motor for the draw bridges and possible light airs.

So I broke down and bought an Epropulsion Spirit 1.0 Plus, long shaft. I was very reluctant to spend $2500 plus tax for a motor for a boat worth $3K. But I broke down and did the deed. My review:

By far the best improvement I have made to Sweet P. Motoring is actually a pleasure - if I don't feel like sailing or the wind is very light, I just motor cruise for the fun of it. Starting is turning the twist grip tiller arm. No more shoulder pulling and swearing, and guessing what choke setting to use. No longer have a gas tank sitting in the footwell of the cockpit, which frees up space for guests in the cockpit. And I simply twist the throttle the other direction to put the motor in reverse. No more leaning over the transom to shift gears.

The Spirit with a 1 kilowatt motor is equivalent to a 3hp gas outboard. In the company of other Mariners (19 Mariners total, I was the only electric), I couldn't quite keep up with the 5-6hp gas motors with both of us flat out. I was about 1/2 a knot slower. But I was much faster than the boats whose motors wouldn't start or quit.

But there is no point in dragging the big wake trying to do 5.7 kts instead of 5.2 kts. Cruising at 4.1 kts and 400 watts gives me 12 nautical mile range, 3 hrs on a full battery, with a little reserve. And cutting back to 3.7 kts at 300 watts increases the range slightly and gives 4hrs on the battery. Much more range unless the gas outboard has a separate gas tank. Can hear each other talk (and can hear people talking on nearby boats too), doesn't disturb the birds. Weighs 42 lbs with battery instead of 60 lbs, and can carry battery separate from motor (one part in each hand). No worrying about tilting the motor to the correct side when carrying in the car. Don't need water to test. Drove just fine against a 4kt tidal current in the Niantic River to get under the open railroad bridge.

Drawbacks:
  • cost. I didn't expect the benefits to be so great, so the cost is not so unbearable now. For cruising for several days, I would probably want a second battery which adds another $1100. At least the Spirit batteries float, although I don't intend to test that feature. A new 5-6hp 4 stroke gas outboard with external tank would cost $1800+.
  • I forget the motor is running while I am hoisting sails because it is so quiet. Then all of a sudden the motor lower unit is being dragged as I pick up speed under sail, making noise.
  • Because I have to rotate the motor to tilt it up on the existing outboard bracket to clear the transom and the water, the steering lock pin (I like to steer with the boat rudder) can't be used. I rely on steering friction to keep the motor straight ahead. This works at all power settings as long as the motor is pretty straight to begin with. If I start off at an angle, high power will drive the motor to a bigger angle.
  • Range anxiety was very strong when I first got the motor. But after making some speed/power runs using GPS and the motor readouts, I realized I actually had 3 hour/12 mile range under most conditions. I simply take this as a factor when planning trips. I greatly prefer range anxiety to starting anxiety!
Fred W
Stuart Mariner #4133 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Yes. I gave up on my 5hp Honda on my Mariner because I couldn't get it started when I needed to. I needed to get a guest back to the dock for an appointment in light airs, or the wind died and we cooked, or we couldn't get away from the dock. Did everything I was told - used non-ethanol gas exclusively, ran it dry at the end of the day, added Stabil to the gas tank. Had the carb cleaned once, and was getting ready to do it again. I was going to a Mariner Rendezvous in Connecticut and needed a reliable motor for the draw bridges and possible light airs.

So I broke down and bought an Epropulsion Spirit 1.0 Plus, long shaft. I was very reluctant to spend $2500 plus tax for a motor for a boat worth $3K. But I broke down and did the deed. My review:

By far the best improvement I have made to Sweet P. Motoring is actually a pleasure - if I don't feel like sailing or the wind is very light, I just motor cruise for the fun of it. Starting is turning the twist grip tiller arm. No more shoulder pulling and swearing, and guessing what choke setting to use. No longer have a gas tank sitting in the footwell of the cockpit, which frees up space for guests in the cockpit. And I simply twist the throttle the other direction to put the motor in reverse. No more leaning over the transom to shift gears.

The Spirit with a 1 kilowatt motor is equivalent to a 3hp gas outboard. In the company of other Mariners (19 Mariners total, I was the only electric), I couldn't quite keep up with the 5-6hp gas motors with both of us flat out. I was about 1/2 a knot slower. But I was much faster than the boats whose motors wouldn't start or quit.

But there is no point in dragging the big wake trying to do 5.7 kts instead of 5.2 kts. Cruising at 4.1 kts and 400 watts gives me 12 nautical mile range, 3 hrs on a full battery, with a little reserve. And cutting back to 3.7 kts at 300 watts increases the range slightly and gives 4hrs on the battery. Much more range unless the gas outboard has a separate gas tank. Can hear each other talk (and can hear people talking on nearby boats too), doesn't disturb the birds. Weighs 42 lbs with battery instead of 60 lbs, and can carry battery separate from motor (one part in each hand). No worrying about tilting the motor to the correct side when carrying in the car. Don't need water to test. Drove just fine against a 4kt tidal current in the Niantic River to get under the open railroad bridge.

Drawbacks:
  • cost. I didn't expect the benefits to be so great, so the cost is not so unbearable now. For cruising for several days, I would probably want a second battery which adds another $1100. At least the Spirit batteries float, although I don't intend to test that feature. A new 5-6hp 4 stroke gas outboard with external tank would cost $1800+.
  • I forget the motor is running while I am hoisting sails because it is so quiet. Then all of a sudden the motor lower unit is being dragged as I pick up speed under sail, making noise.
  • Because I have to rotate the motor to tilt it up on the existing outboard bracket to clear the transom and the water, the steering lock pin (I like to steer with the boat rudder) can't be used. I rely on steering friction to keep the motor straight ahead. This works at all power settings as long as the motor is pretty straight to begin with. If I start off at an angle, high power will drive the motor to a bigger angle.
  • Range anxiety was very strong when I first got the motor. But after making some speed/power runs using GPS and the motor readouts, I realized I actually had 3 hour/12 mile range under most conditions. I simply take this as a factor when planning trips. I greatly prefer range anxiety to starting anxiety!
Fred W
Stuart Mariner #4133 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC
Thanks for the open and honest review! I'm confident that those who are considering electric will find your feedback invaluable