What Makes a Good Anchorage?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
My perfect harbor includes good anchoring conditions, but also a dock where I can pull up to for free water...
Difficult situation regarding general (free) water availability is one that we’ve encountered a few times. Remote anchorages do not have docks with facilities; but folks do not need to take on water daily. So, when one needs water, it obviously means upping anchor and going where it is to be acquired—inside a harbor or marina, etc., where you may wish to remain a few days at anchor if permitted. Here on the west coast during the recent years-long drought water at even those places was not assured, especially in British Columbia. Either none would be dispensed to boaters, or the amount would be rationed to, say, 100 liters. This is actually “good” b/c otherwise a few big power boats with “vast” tankage would get most of it, etc. Some might still consider some such places, like Gorge Harbor, remote. It is compared to, say, Nanaimo, but not to the true wilderness areas. It’s a funny equation. Four people on a boat will consume water at more than twice the rate of only two people:doh:.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I only anchor out 1 weekend a year normally (wife’s away weekend her her GF’s).

Not a lot of protected anchorages on the south end of Lake Michigan where I sail. Several marinas but few anchorages.

I usually look for a south wind, that means no waves on the south end of the lake. If the weather cooperates, I sail to the Indiana Dunes beach, and drop anchor in 10 feet of water with a really nice sandy bottom. No other boats around usually as the sunsets and I have the place to myself.
056CBBF2-C78E-4F19-B62A-34478242971F.jpeg 53A2BD3B-7F2C-4708-835B-31C2D6DCB57D.jpeg

I didn’t post my 2018 video to YouTube (doing it now) but here are some previous ones.

This was from a few years ago at the same place:
2017 Around 10:00 minute mark there is some footage of the anchorage

2016 around 26:07 I am at the anchorage

2015 around 19:14 I am at the anchorage

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I think it depends on the crew, the weather and the boat itself.
1) The Anchor... WE have a MUD and SAND anchor installed. Then we have an Anchor Alarm for movement.

Ok whew, now the worry of boat drifting away is out of mind...

2) The Crew.. Sunsets, swimming, exploring the nearby scenery, beaches, photographs, etc.
Ok, Crew has smiles.

3) The Weather... that always plays a part for a pleasurable anchorage.

Like ants at a picnic... that can be pesky. So you might have to change anchorages.
Jim...

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I like solitude in an anchorage. A quiet place to relax and watch the water, the sunset, and enjoy dinner on the boat.
There is almost nowhere to anchor on Seneca.
In this photo, I am in over 100 ft of water and about 100 ft from shore. There are shallower areas at the North end, but they are exposed.
E0149272-05F0-4BB1-96A7-41B5918D3DCB.jpeg

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Even Detroit can look good from a quiet anchorage. Currently anchored on the Detroit River at Peche Island near the south end of Lake St. Clair. On our way back to Lake Erie (Erie, Pa) from our trip up to the North Channel of Lake Huron. Detroit skyline to the back of the pic with Windsor, On. to the left.

IMG_20190811_205350480.jpg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
First for me, protection. You can get that with geography and/or a benign forecast. Second, beauty,...close second.
That’s an excellent point about forecasts. Some of my favorites are “good” only in the prevailing westerlies of the west coast here, if there is to be much wind. Toward late fall and into winter, they are not so good because of the risk of strong easterly winds arising. They are still scenic, of course, but might no longer provide the shelter. Puts one a little on edge.

All weather anchorages which also offer solitude AND high scenic quality are basically nowhere to be found in Southern California. That’s because the all weather anchorages are found only in harbors, so are what I call urban anchorages, and offer virtually no solitude as they are not remote. Many power boats around with all that brings.

The one possible exception is Cat Harbor on the south coast (“back side”) of Catalina Island. It’s scenic, well sheltered if deep inside the harbor, and remote to a certain extent in that it’s the most distant from our coastal cities, minimally 35 n.mi., so it’s not a good “weekend destination” for many boaters. It’s also a bit rougher out there rounding the (north)west end of the Island than going straight to destinations on the north coast. There is a dinghy dock and services in the village of Two Harbors, including a propane fill station and outboard engine repair shop if you wish to lug stuff that far. Better have a cart! No water or fuel at Cat Harbor. Actually, a great “off season” destination when there are the fewest visitors.:) But do not go there on a 3-day summertime weekend of settled weather (e.g. Labor Day) if you wish solitude.:snooty:

The best and closest destination for solitude then would be Santa Barbara Island @ Landing Cove, about 45 n.mi. from San Pedro. Another 20 n.mi. from the west end of Catalina Island. Our first time there, Labor Day weekend in 2004, was a beautiful weekend. There were altogether 9 boats in the anchorage over the whole time! Imagine, only 45 to 50 n.mi. from a coastline of millions of people and literally thousands of yachts on a gorgeous 3-day summer weekend and only 8 other yachts besides us in the very roomy anchorage! Amazing!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ugh. Almost one of those click-bait posts the admins do. So general it really offers no advice.

What makes a good anchorage?

My ‘most good’ was a swell-laden bay that offered one side protection. Hard to stand in the boat, let along sleep. It was blowing like snot and the open sea state was atrocious. But we were holding fast and we were SAFE. End of story.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
So general it really offers no advice.
Not asking for “advice.” Asking for opinions for what makes a “good anchorage” in the experience of forum sailors. If one is as good as any other, and if conditions aren’t really germane, as long as you’re “out” and not “in”, then fine. Your input has been duly noted:).

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Most responses have highlighted a desirability for shelter from seas; followed, it seems, by scenic quality and seclusion. IMHO, seclusion is accomplished via remoteness, or by the chance that a certain place is known to only a few, or that it has an undeservedly poor reputation and so is avoided. Availability of services seems ancillary.

Of the anchorages I’ve visited, Waiatt Bay in the Octopus Islands Marine Provincial Park, British Columbia, best fits the profile. Certainly sheltered from sea, definitely remote and very scenic. No services near (e.g., within 3-4 hr travel by sailboat), but there are a few “things” to do ashore. As far as I know there is no limit to the length of stay, there are no fees, and being remote BC in salt water with no pump-out alternatives, a rules exemption allows over-the-side discharge of waste during periods of ebb tide. So, with adequate supplies one might be able to lay there at anchor an entire summer in comfort and serenity, cost free! Dream On!;)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
KG. That does sound like a spot worthy of discovery.

There is a neat spot called Annette Inlet. It is maybe 1.5 hr from the port of Ganges, but is is like being in your own private pond. Well protected even in winter storms. Good holding. Scenic. No lace to go ashore. Just a nice anchorage.