What Makes a Good Anchorage?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I’m curious. What do you regard as features or characteristics of a “Good” anchorage? Some place where you might spend a few to several nights. What are your priorities? Scenic? Comfort? Proximity to services? Remoteness? Shore access? Obviously, we always wish for good holding if on the hook, but what otherwise? For now, we’ll include those “anchorages” where moorings are available. Maybe there is an example to share.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So you like to let the anchor play in sticky mud, Phil. Sounds good to me.

I am inclined to agree Les and Stu. Shelter from wind and waves is desirable. Add to that scenic surroundings., a place to get off the boat and explore. This might be a remote setting, or it could be a quaint village with friendly folk, good beer and onion rings that make you want to say “Please Sir, may I have another?”

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Very true! But paradise isn't paradise if you're dragging.

But to your point, a solid set in a rolly, windy anchorage isn't much fun either.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I don’t like sticky, but a good set is important.
Picturesque, shore access, quaint village in walking distance, shelter from wind and waves, not “buggy”, access to fresh water/trash/recycling/pumpout are also a plus. We carry collapsing 5 gallon water jugs so we can refill at a dinghy dock.
Edit: also nice to have a good hardware store and/or marine chandler nearby, and laundry. Restaurants and other shops a plus.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A good anchorage for us is one where we are sheltered from the waves but has enough wind to be comfortable. I prefer it when the water is between 10 and 12 feet deep and a good sand bottom (no sticky mud for me). Choosing where one anchors in a bay is often about comfort, but if you are there to shop for provisions or to do something ashore, easy, free access ashore is of more importance than comfort.
When we want an especially scenic or secluded anchorage, then of course popularity is something to consider. We have several spectacular anchorages that are off the beaten path, and we go there to be alone, not socialize. Most of the time this works out well for us.
On the other hand, an anchorage for inclement weather is a completely different story. Absolutely the most important thing to us is the lack of other boats. I have yet to sit through a storm with other boats in the anchorage, and not worry all the time whether they will drag into me. Therefore, I'll take a bit less shelter if I can anchor alone. This means that "hurricane holes" are out for us. Of course, if possible, I won't anchor in the projected path of a storm, rather we will run as far and fast as we can to somewhere I feel we will be safe.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
An anchorage that is well sheltered from sea can still be very windy at the anchored vessel. I can cite numerous examples from my own experiences, as I’m sure can many folks here. Just run along the leeward side of a seawall on a windy day to get the picture, etc. For the PNWers, as I expect you might know, the outer moorings at Sucia (San Juan Islands) during the afternoon of summer’s day might be enveloped in strong wind as the vessel itself rides rather smoothly, even if yawing around a bit. My most memorable was when anchored in 25 ft over sand in Bechers Bay @ Santa Rosa Island. The wind howled nearly all night in the low 30’s, which we definitely felt. But, lying at short fetch beyond a high landscape we experienced very little discomfort from water motion. So, shelter from sea, but not necessarily from strong wind at the same time, would certainly be a priority for me. In fact, too much water motion from arriving swell action or mini-waves at low wind would cause me to move much more readily than protection from them in high wind, etc,

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't need seclusion although it is nice sometimes. I don't mind stuff going on. Good holding is most important. But along with other criteria mentioned above - I like nice clean water to swim in.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
When I think of anchorages I've enjoyed the most, Trellis Bay in Tortola comes to mind.
About 20 feet of clear water, great temps to swim ashore to the sandy beach. Little shops and picturesque village, a shallow reef to explore between the anchorage and the Last Resort, a fun night spot featuring a Caribbean island moose.
It's been a long time, but it was always sailboats, never been there with a powerboat other than a dink.

-Will (Dragonfly)

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I agree with most (if not all) of the above... however, I'll add a twist. I too like an anchorage without lots of power boaters, especially loud ones. My perfect harbor includes good anchoring conditions, but also a dock where I can pull up to for free water but NO FUEL DOCK. A harbor with no fuel dock seems to scare away a good chunk of power boaters. We've got a few like that nearby, and I find the sailboat-to-powerboat ratio to be much higher when you can't buy gas. Pumpout services are nice to have too, but are more rarely are found without fuel.