What lines lead aft and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
One of the most common requests I get is advice on how to lead lines aft to the cockpit. The setup I like is to lead only sail trim controls to the cockpit. Everything else stays on the mast. I have lead to the cockpit: Mainsail Trim Controls; Boom Vang Cunningham Outhaul Traveler Foresail Trim; Jib Halyard(s) Spinnaker Controls; Spin Pole Topping Lift Spinnaker Downhaul/Foreguy/Tackline Spinnaker Halyard(s) Spinnaker Tweekers I do not have lead aft: Main Halyard Reefing Lines Jib Furling Line Just out of curiosity, what lines are lead aft on your boat and why?

C

Chris

None.

Halyards stay on the mast. The fores'l is hank-on. The outhaul, topping lift and reef lines all come through the boom to the original clutches built in the the boom at the gooseneck and terminate there. If the boat had come with a roller jib/genoa that would have been fine, too, but i have no problem with dealing with foredeck work, even single-handed. At 56 years old and overweight, i want to keep moving and flexible, not turn siling into a couch activity where I never leave the cockpit. I have been criticized for "not making the most of modern safety features". BALONEY.

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Same here Chris - maybe it's the boat?

Hank-on foresails, halyards, reefing lines and uthaul at the mast...sounds like my boat! The only lines that run aft to the cockpit are the outhaul and vang, and only because it's inconvenient to leave the cockpit to adjust them when rounding a windward or leeward mark while racing single-handed. Otherwise, I prefer to move around on the boat. It keeps me active and I know exactly where everything is, what to do, where to step and where to hold on if I need to leave the cockpit in less than perfect weather. As a matter of fact, with the sail controls at the mast, there are fewer things outside the cockpit to check on/maintain and fewer things that can jam or foul when you least expect it. I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa. Peter the sailing caveman H23 "Raven"

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Main halyard aft

I set up my main halyard so I can remain in the cockpit because there have been times when my wife has been dealing with the baby and I didn't like leaving the cockpit when it was blowing hard to hoist or drop the main for fear of falling or going overboard. If help was aboard I would let them steer into the wind and I would go on deck and hope that they can keep it to the wind but now its so easy that I set up the clutch and winch and let the help on board work the main while I steer. I have single handed my 32 with less worry now ,I agree with chris about running around I like to do it all when sailing even with help aboard and the boat and baby keeps this 50+ sailor young

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Here's my list, great thread

Led aft: main halyard, lazy jacks, double line reefing lines, vang, cunningham Not led aft: jib halyard, spare jib halyard, outhaul I get plenty of exercise and agree with Chris and Peter, keep movin', know where to put your feet, and enjoy. Moody asked WHY? 1) the boat was set up by the PO that way, I just added the cunningham; 2) I like it, the jib's on a ProFurl, so I replaced the aft led jib halyard with the cunningham, which gets a lot more use!; 3) the double line reefing is very slick and easy to use (34 foot boat); 4) I'd do it this way myself if I was starting all over. On our PO C25, we had a hank on jib. I led both halyards back, plus added a downhaul for the jib led back. The reefing was done from the mast. WHY, I set it up that way because things were smaller and easier to handle, and reefing from the mast for the tack and the boom for the clew was simple. For jib "furling" it was a matter of selection with the hanks, although on some oceach trips I laid both on deck and switched when wind and sea conditions warranted.

C

Cap'n Ron

Jib Downhaul

The only line I can add is a jib down-haul to a block at the forestay, leading aft to the cockpit. I learned this from a world-cruiser old-salt who had made his own self-steering vane from sails. Being able to depower the jib in a blow is second only in importance to reefing the main; letting out the mainsheet to spill. Most of you 'lazy' mates have window-blinds on the forestay so a mute point, but wait till it gets jammed out there and the wind picks up.....

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
a few lines

Hey, My boat came with the main sheet, main halyard, boom vang, and single line reefing led back to the cockpit. I added the topping lift led aft, and the tack line for the cruising spinnaker. I find it much easier to hoist the main from the cockpit than trying to stand at the mast and do it. I have roller furling, so sail raising and dousing is easy. Last year I led the topping lift to the cockpit, and it has worked great. Before, the topping lift was adjusted on the boom. I would raise the main, ease the topping left, then sail. At the end of the sail I would lower the sail and cover it, often forgetting to tighten the topping lift. The result was a boom that sagged down into the cockpit. With the sail covering the topping lift I could not tighen it. With the adjustment in the cockpit it's easy to raise the boom up out of the way. Barry

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Moody, our boat has 13 control lines...

all of which we can adjust from the cockpit. No control lines need adjusting at the mast. Terry

Ferg

Mar 6, 2006
Catalina 27 C27 @Thunder Bay ON Ca.
Me too !

All my lines lead to the cockpit except the boom vang, I plan to bring it back as well. With just the two of us, I feel it has to do with safety when Superior gets all lumpy. We don’t race our boat and ease of handling in any situation just has to be a good thing. Later, eh! Ferg

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Same Here

Which: All lines lead to the cockpit. Why: So I can reach them without leaving the cockpit.

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
What's the big deal?

I guess I don't understand not wanting to leave the cockpit. :) I hate sailing around with halyards in the cockpit. The jib halyard is a hassle, but needed, because jib halyard tension is a major trim control. With roller furling, I'm tempted to cut the halyard short and use a tag line when I change sails just to get rid of the 40ft coil of line. My jib furling line live at the mast too ... no reason to have yet another 30 ft of line running all the way back to the cockpit and no tripping over the furling line on the side decks. Having the main halyard in the cockpit would drive me buggy! I figure that since I have to walk all the way (8ft) to the mast to take the sail cover off and attach the halyard, I might as well use the winch and cleat on the mast. Reefing is no drama from the mast, ease the halyard, put the sail on the reef hook and re-hoist. Running the reef lines aft would allow a short handed crew to toss a reef in a bit quicker but then I'd have the tails of the reef lines to deal with at the companionway. Much nicer to have them at the mast and out of the way. :) I know that many boats have all the lines crowded together under the dodger at the companionway. People make it work, but it would drive me crazy.

Ferg

Mar 6, 2006
Catalina 27 C27 @Thunder Bay ON Ca.
Moody ......

..... we have a furler as well, that halyard is usually on a cleat at the mast, as is spin halyard when not in use. either can be quickly tossed into the cockpit when needed. The main sail halyard usually ends up down the hatch and under the stairs, handy to the coach house winch but out of the way. The reefing line is just a tail of a few feet when the main's up. Our furling line for the drum runs all the way to the stern and just hangs off the stern rail when the sail's rolled. Our leg tangler would be the mainsheet. We have a 2 speed, 6:1 / 4:1 system off the travler. It's like having 2 mainsheets on the floor! Later, eh! Ferg

S

Steve

Line to the Cockpit

Lead Aft: Main halyard, Main reefing line, Main and Genoa Sheets, furler line. Not Lead Aft: Genoa halyard, topping lift, boom vang.

Status
Not open for further replies.