What kind of cooking fuel does your boat have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Robeson

I have a 1986 C-36 that has a CNG stove. When I started checking into converting to Propane, (thinking it was a better way to go since it is what new boats have) I found out how much safer and better CNG cooks than propane or Alcohol. So why do most new boats come with propane instead of the safer CNG? I have heard that CNG is the most popular offshore (outside the US) fuel. If All boats came with CNG, CNG access would become more readily available in the US. Lets face it, Natural Gas is what all our homes use, it is cheap, safer than propane in an enclosed environment like a boat, cooks best and is readily available. What kind of fuel does your boat have? What kind do you wish it had? Bob C-36 Emerald Oddysea

J

John Foy

CNG

Bob, I have a 1980 C-38 which is also equipped with CNG. We like it and have had no problems. It's my understanding that CNG is not readily available in many locations. Here in the S.F. Bay Area there are only a few places where CNG can be obtained. Fortunately for me one of them is very close to our slip. I also understand that CNG is not readily available outside of the U.S. Since we plan to take our boat to Mexico I will need change over to propane before we depart. Interestly we have a friend with a near new J-120 which is equipped with CNG. John Foy "Chanteuse" C-38 #50

R

Rob

Availability

I had always heard that Propane was more readily available outside of the U.S., hence the greater use of Propane. However, I like our CNG system and since CNG is available on the water, I have no plans to change.

D

Dick Keenan

CNG Not Readily Available

Bob, I haven't paid much attention to this in a while, but I don't think it has changed -- CNG is not readily available in the US and practically non-existent in most parts of the world where cruisers like to hang out. We're weekenders who are lucky enough to keep our Catalina 36 within walking distance of a chandlery in Alameda, which operates its own CNG plant, so it's been OK. The only advantage I have ever found with CNG is the safety factor. It also burns hotter, but not that much. I think the disadvantages of CNG, other than lack of availability, are important considerations. CNG does not liquify when compressed as propane does, so the actual amount of heat stored in each cannister is miniscule when compared with propane, and the cost per BTU is much higher. CNG tanks go empty on you much more frequently. The tanks are heavy as lead and refills are expensive. You can't store a propane tank inside your boat. You often see ugly propane tanks out on the decks of older boats but today they usually rest in a specially designed external compartment that vents downward to the outside and is isolated from below decks, which may help account for their popularity. If I were buying a new boat I would go for propane just because it is so much more convenient, less expensive, available everywhere, and safe when handled properly. Unless someone has a better idea, I think an 86 C-36 is going to have external tanks. But if you are going cruising, travel with propane.

Status
Not open for further replies.