What kind of Bottom Paint ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
On my others boats, I've used VC 17 anti-fouling paint. The boat now the PO used VC 17.
Is it possible to switch types or brands of bottom paint ???
Is VC 17 the best out there for the Great Lakes?
Is one of the other Interlux paint better suited?
Or is a another Interlux type less costly ???
And finally, is it a pain to switch, or easier to just reapply the VC 17?
All the Interlux seem to have the same description in the product information.
I'm sure everyone will want to "cover" this topic......

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
VC17 is not compatible with most other anti fouling paints. If you want to switch to a non-vinyl paint, you will have to get down to gel coat and start from scratch.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
VC17 is best for lakes IMHO. No built up, easy to apply. I patch worn out spots every year and repaint every 3 to 4. And i race so the boat got used often.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I'm no expert on northerly climates & fresh water like the great lakes. VC17 is probably your best bet to stay with what you've been using for compatability. You already know that it works. It is also smoother for a faster bottom if you race. If you come down south for any real length of time cruising, then I have used Petit Trinidad all my sailing life, over 20 years. Its very tough & nothing likes to grow on it. It will eventually slough off as all ablative paints are supposed to do. At over 60% copper content its lethal to marine growth. The can attests to it - it weighs about 25 lbs! I imagine it will be illegal sometime in the near future, since its not too environmentally friendly. Anybody using one of the non copper bottom paints out there in Southern waters with good results?

Status
Not open for further replies.